Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Ectaco jetBook to add DRM format

For all those who wanted a DRM'ed ebook format on the jetBook, your wish will soon be coming true. According to my source, the "Barnes and Nobel" format will soon be added. I assume that this means the Fictionwise/eReader DRM format.

Although many like how eReader handles DRM, I could wish that either Mobipocket or Adobe's flavor of epub would have been selected as the DRM format to add. Mobipocket DRM would give you access to a large selection today. ADE DRM would probably be the better choice for the future IMO. Having said that, I await the day when DRM vanishes alltogether.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if this revelation means that we will soon see B&N or Fictionwise selling jetBooks as well as the Plastic Logic reader?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, if I remember correctly, at one point Fictionwise said that it was willing to essentially allow anyone else to use its DRM scheme without cost (after all, the are in the business of selling books, not software). If that is the case, it might be too soon to say we will see Jetbooks at Barnes and Nobles.

Personally I think there is already an excellent selection of of books with ereader DRM and with B&N behind it, I suspect that they will probably find a way to keep up with the other major formats. Considering I find fictionwise DRM the only one that is even marginally acceptable, I consider this a big plus.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N is eReader, although if you go to the B&N site you will see that many of the traditional phone O/S's have been dropped (WinMobile, Palm, S60). Note that FictionWise said that they will be migrating eReader to ePub (with B&N DRM, not Adobe), and I think dropping the "legacy" phones may be part of that migration.

It is unfortunate that we have a three way race (Kindle, Adobe and B&N) but that is the world that DRM creates.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Ah, but when, when, when?!

Actually, I don't really care about DRM... I just like trying out firmware updates. Flash away!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
That is great news! That means my 3 main readers (EZ Reader, jetBook, and Touch) will be able to all read the same books!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
B&N is eReader, although if you go to the B&N site you will see that many of the traditional phone O/S's have been dropped (WinMobile, Palm, S60). Note that FictionWise said that they will be migrating eReader to ePub (with B&N DRM, not Adobe), and I think dropping the "legacy" phones may be part of that migration.

It is unfortunate that we have a three way race (Kindle, Adobe and B&N) but that is the world that DRM creates.
Well, I wouldn't be too hasty to say that they are going to drop support entirely. I haven't looked at the B&N site yet, but if they are supporting epub, it might simply be a matter that they have not yet gotten things up and running on the other OS's. That being said, Palm's original OS might be a bit of a stretch since the Centro is now, I think, the only phone still using it. WinMobile has too large of a user base to just disregard.

--
Bill
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
but if they are supporting epub, it might simply be a matter that they have not yet gotten things up and running on the other OS's.
They are not supporting ePub yet. Which is why not including the legacy devices in the B&N badged Readers is confusing. I have seen reports that the B&N ebooks won't work using the eReader software on those devices, but I have not tried this myself. If true, then something must be different in the ebooks themselves.

Switching formats is complicated. Sony is about to go through this in its ebook store. They have the advantage of only one legacy device, the PRS-500, which they have been able to handle so far with trade-in offers. In the case of B&N, what I would do is offer eReader and ePub downloads of the same ebook for a while. However, they would need to get the publishers agreement to do this. The big advantage of this approach is that ePub can then be rolled out one device type at a time.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard

Ok, I see your point. But maybe B&N is smart not to offer the software for Palm and Nokia (Since the Nokia s60has only a very tiny part of the US Smart Phone market). They are relatively small niche's that are likely to only shrink in the future. Better to not offer it in the first place than to offer it and then pull support in a year or two.

I still think that they will support Windows though. Too many devices out there not too. They maybe waiting on 6.5 which is suppose to have much better touch support.

--
Bill
Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
That is great news! That means my 3 main readers (EZ Reader, jetBook, and Touch) will be able to all read the same books!
Are you talking about Sony Touch edition? They use adobe epub which I understand won't be compatible with B&N epub.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In the "eBook Book Club" section of their site, B&N has repeatedly stated their intention to "support as many devices as possible" with eReader. However, they have also stated the intention to maintain Fictionwise as a separate business. You can still get the old eReader software for all sorts of OSs on the eReader.com site, although the B&N version of the product is targeted more to wireless devices and especially the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Of course, Fictionwise (plus Books on Board, et al) have always sold popular books in multiple DRM versions.

Other manufacturers have also announced an intention to support eReader on their products. Sony for one already supports multiple DRM versions on the same book reader since they support both secure BBeB and secure Adobe ePub on my PRS505. Of course, no one can put Mobipocket DRMed books on a device with another DRMed product.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Are you talking about Sony Touch edition? They use adobe epub which I understand won't be compatible with B&N epub.
I think smithno is referring to the Ithing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
One of the things that has always frustrated me is that Fictionwise offers many books (especially the latest 100% micropay rebate offers) with only "secrure Ereader/ Secure Mobipocket" formats.

From the above I understand that Fictionwise is migrating from eReader to ePub
Quote:
Note that FictionWise said that they will be migrating eReader to ePub (with B&N DRM, not Adobe)
And that Sony only handles adobe DRM for ePub
Quote:
Are you talking about Sony Touch edition? They use adobe epub which I understand won't be compatible with B&N epub
AARRRRGHHHH!

What the hell is wrong with these people? Are they determined to ensure that digital books will fail?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard

Well, unless I am mistaken, B&N epub is going to use the ereader style of DRM. Its not directly compatible with Adobe DRM, but if B&N continues Fictionwise's practice of publishing books without DRM, then those DRMless books should work fine with Adobe Digital Editions.

Yes, there is a lot of e-bable going on out there. Its mostly the publishers fault for not insisting on some sort of DRM standard in epub.

--
Bill
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
Won't Sony be using Adobe's DRM starting December or so? Not B&N's...
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, unless I am mistaken, B&N epub is going to use the ereader style of DRM. Its not directly compatible with Adobe DRM, but if B&N continues Fictionwise's practice of publishing books without DRM, then those DRMless books should work fine with Adobe Digital Editions.

Yes, there is a lot of e-bable going on out there. Its mostly the publishers fault for not insisting on some sort of DRM standard in epub.

--
Bill
But Fictionwise does use DRM for their "secure" ebooks. It is only the "multiformat" ebooks that do not have DRM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote