Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Which unavailable ebook do you want most?
Watership Down (1972) by Richard Adams 11 7.69%
The Last Unicorn (1968) by Peter S. Beagle 5 3.50%
Fahrenheit 451 (1953) by Ray Bradbury 30 20.98%
The Martian Chronicles (1950) by Ray Bradbury 7 4.90%
Master and Commander (1969) by Patrick O'Brian 9 6.29%
Ender's Game (1985) by Orson Scott Card 12 8.39%
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) by Arthur C. Clarke 11 7.69%
The Name of the Rose (1980) by Umberto Eco 13 9.09%
The Sound and the Fury (1929) by William Faulkner 3 2.10%
As I Lay Dying (1930) by William Faulkner 6 4.20%
Magician: Apprentice (1982) by Raymond Feist 10 6.99%
The Diary of a Young Girl (1947) Anne Frank 10 6.99%
The Maltese Falcon (1930) by Dashiell Hammett 8 5.59%
Stranger in a Strange Land (1961) by Robert A. Heinlein 10 6.99%
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (1966) by Robert A. Heinlein 9 6.29%
Catch-22 (1961) by Joseph Heller 18 12.59%
The Haunting of Hill House (1959) by Shirley Jackson 3 2.10%
Finnegans Wake (1939) by James Joyce 5 3.50%
To Kill a Mockingbird (1960) by Harper Lee 20 13.99%
One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez 4 2.80%
Rebecca (1938) by Daphne Du Maurier 9 6.29%
Lolita (1955) by Vladimir Nabokov 11 7.69%
Atlas Shrugged (1957) by Ayn Rand 11 7.69%
Interview with the Vampire (1976) by Anne Rice 6 4.20%
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1997) by J.K. Rowling 33 23.08%
The Satanic Verses (1988) by Salman Rushdie 8 5.59%
The Catcher in the Rye (1951) by J.D. Salinger 12 8.39%
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971) by Hunter S. Thompson 6 4.20%
The Once and Future King (1958) by Terence Hanbury White 5 3.50%
Other -- tell us in your post. 35 24.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Which unavailable book do you want most?

As far as I know, none of these books are available in an authorized ebook format.

I'm also sure I left off some pretty big name books that deserve a slot in this poll, but polls here are limited to 30 entries max, so if I left off your favorite -- my apologies.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
As far as I know, none of these books are available in an authorized ebook format.

I'm also sure I left off some pretty big name books that deserve a slot in this poll, but polls here are limited to 30 entries max, so if I left off your favorite -- my apologies.
i'd quite like a legitimate copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but since that's not an option....
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A couple notes:

One of the books that didn't make the poll was The Daughter of Time (1951) by Josephine Tey. This book is actually available on Amazon for $3.99 I believe, but I have a feeling that this book is not legitimate. However, this is only a feeling and I don't know for sure.

One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez did make the list even though it is available on Amazon for $0.99 -- I'm virtually certain this version is not legitimate as the title and authors names are both misspelled.

Here are a few more titles not available as ebooks that didn't make list and probably should have (but then who do I take off the list to make room?).

On a Pale Horse (1983) by Piers Anthony
The Moving Toyshop (1946) by Edmund Crispin
The Belgariad, Vol. 1 (1982) by David Eddings (they have vol. 2 -- go figure)
"A" is for Alibi (1983) by Sue Grafton
A Wizard of Earthsea (1968) by Ursula K. Le Guin
Cop Hater (1956) by Ed McBain
Deep Blue Good-by (1964) by John D. Macdonald
A Canticle for Leibowitz (1959) by Walter M. Miller Jr.
Ringworld (1970) by Larry Niven
Midnight's Children (1980) by Salman Rushdie
Contact (1985) by Carl Sagan
The Nine Tailors (1934) by Dorothy L. Sayers
Too Many Cooks (1938) by Rex Stout
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein is available in most formats, but not for the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein is available in most formats, but not for the Kindle.
Yes, I have it in Mobi format -- strange, then, that it is not available for the Kindle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Not on the list and I'm probably the only one that cares but would love to have all the Margaret George books (I'm reading Cleopatra in a pbook right now and how I long for an electronic copy). I would also love to have the Edward Rutherfordton books (sarum, london etc), and all the Michener books. Leon Uris and Anya Seton would also be nice.

The thing that bugs me about the availability of ebooks is that if it hasn't been published within the last 1.5 years *OR* one of the "great works of literature", then there is little hope of seeing it in electronic format.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
The Larousse Gatronomique. The penultimate encyclopedia of cookery, I just wish it was available in ANY digital form.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Thanks Wallcraft. Do you know why? Is Heinlein's heirs or the publisher oppossed to the Kindle for some reason? Looking for a better deal on revenue sharing? Has anyone heard anything?

I've never read the book, but I'd like to read it, and it's one of the books I selected in the poll.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
...and A Canticle for Leibowitz (1959) by Walter M. Miller Jr.

I saw this recommended here on the forums, clicked over to Amazon, but no dice!
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
A couple notes:

One of the books that didn't make the poll was The Daughter of Time (1951) by Josephine Tey. This book is actually available on Amazon for $3.99 I believe, but I have a feeling that this book is not legitimate. However, this is only a feeling and I don't know for sure.
Actually, I uploaded Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time here. It is now also on PG Australia, and out of copyright in life+50 years countries.

I too would love to have all of Edmund Crispin's work. To be honest, I don't particularly like The Moving Toyshop, but am very fond of all the others.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
i'd quite like a legitimate copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but since that's not an option....
I'll be damned, I didn't know it had a different name in the UK. Here in the states they changed the name to sorcerer's stone for some reason.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchbaby View Post
...and A Canticle for Leibowitz (1959) by Walter M. Miller Jr.

I saw this recommended here on the forums, clicked over to Amazon, but no dice!
That would be my choice as well, oddly I saw it as a Large Print ebook somewhere.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'll be damned, I didn't know it had a different name in the UK. Here in the states they changed the name to sorcerer's stone for some reason.
Philosopher's Stone is the correct historical title, but I'd guess the reference would go right past American audiences, and they changed it to something more "magicy."
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There is a very large list in the Please request this book at Amazon/Sony (more than those listed in the first post can be found later in the thread). I admit I've given up because the list is too long and tiring.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Not on the list and I'm probably the only one that cares but would love to have all the Margaret George books (I'm reading Cleopatra in a pbook right now and how I long for an electronic copy). I would also love to have the Edward Rutherfordton books (sarum, london etc), and all the Michener books. Leon Uris and Anya Seton would also be nice.

The thing that bugs me about the availability of ebooks is that if it hasn't been published within the last 1.5 years *OR* one of the "great works of literature", then there is little hope of seeing it in electronic format.
I am with you all the way regarding the Edward Rutherfurd, Leon Uris and Anya Seton books (I haven't read any of Margaret George books.) Noah Gordon and Steven Sayler are another two which I would like to see as ebooks.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote