Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
dynalady
dynalady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No plugin for .zip or .rar files?

I had them. I've been opening zip files with no problem since the first version of Calibre I got. All of a sudden I get an error message that there is no plugin for these. I didn't change anything. At least not on purpose. I looked around in preferences a little and found plugins and the one for I found for archived files, that says zip and rar, is enabled.

I don't know where else to look or what else to do.

Mac OSX 10.4.11, Calibre 7.28

I would really appreciate any help.
dynalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What do you mean by "open" zip or rar files?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
dynalady

I should have said convert, sorry.

I add a book from my computer file to the Calibre library. The book in in zip format. Select that book and go to convert. Then I get the following message

A big red box with an x in it on the left. ValueError: No plugin to handle input format: zip

The same thing happens with input format rar
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
conversion of zip and rar was never supported by calibre. What normally happens is when you add a zip file with an ebook inside it like a file in epub/lit/mobi/whatever format calirbe detects that file and extracts it. Then when you convert it is that file being converted.

Similarly, if you convert a zip or rar file directly, calibre again looks for an ebook file inside it and converts that. If no ebook file is found you get the error message you quoted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
dynalady

So it would seem I got a couple bad downloads? I never knew exactly how it worked, just that a zip file would. I'll go back and try to get them again. Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Phoenix1
Phoenix1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have been downloading books to my Kindle 3 from [link deleted my moderator]. I have to go to Filesonic to unzip them and then save on my hard drive. When I move them to Calibre and convert them to mobi format from rar some convert and some dont...what am I doing wrong. As you can tell I am new to all of this but really love Calibre.Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-20-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Delete link.
Phoenix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
boogs4414
boogs4414 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have been downloading books to my Kindle from [link deleted my moderator]. I have to go to Filesonic to unzip them and then save on my hard drive. When I move them to Calibre and convert them to mobi format from rar some convert and some don't. I am new to this but really love Calibre.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-20-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Link deleted.
boogs4414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
MR is firmly opposed to ebook piracy, and that any ebook site posted here must contain only books available for legitimate purchase, or books which may be legally obtained free of charge because they are in the public domain, or offered under a license that permits free distribution of the works.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote