Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #1261
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Asus Vivo Tab Smart (ME400C)

Intel Atom Z2760, 1,8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD (some websites state, it's eMMC), PowerVR SGX545, Win 8.

Why did I just buy such a low-powered gadget?
I want to have full blown Windows 8.
About 80% of the software I'm normally using on Windows machines isn't available for Windows RT.
I've tried the Sony Duo 11 Hybrid. Great Ultrabook, not-so-great tablet due to the more or less permanent noise of the fan.
So, for now, I've decided for an Atom processor. Low performance, but for most of my tasks it should be okay. And no fan noise!
I'll probably go for Surface Pro, but who knows about the release date in Germany? For once, I don't want to order from the US.
I'll post my experience with Vivo Tab Smart later on.
But first impressions in German Media Markt had been good enough. It's a bargain for € 499 and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

There are 5 (!!!) stickers on the back:
Windows 8
Intel Atom inside
Serial number
FCC conformity
Some strange symbol I can't identify.
Totally hate this.
You either can try to strip these stickers off and forever fight the remnants. Or you can watch them disintegrate, looking more and more filthy...

Very nice: There's no bloatware at all, just a live update app from Asus for firmware and drivers.

There's no USB port. Didn't pay attention to it when seeing it in Media Markt. No biggy for me as a "backup" tablet, but for a sole tablet it certainly could be a problem.
EDIT: There's a Micro USB port. Via adapter USB tech can be connected.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #1262
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Intel Atom Z2760, 1,8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, PowerVR SGX545, Win 8.
What's the screensize and resolution of this thing? It does sound good...

(I'd love a Surface Pro, but I think the price might put me off...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #1263
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What's the screensize and resolution of this thing? It does sound good...

(I'd love a Surface Pro, but I think the price might put me off...)
10,1".
It's only 1366 x 768. But I can live with that.
Of course the low price (and the Asus "quality") shows. For example the Micro-SD slot doesn't have a lid and such details.
It's a compromise, but as a mobile unit good enough.
http://www.amazon.de/VivoTab-ME400C-...1270386&sr=8-2

It's extremely light. It feels even lighter than Kindle Fire HD 8.9". Of course it feels a bit less "valuable" as well, but still better (to my touch and feel) than Samsung Ativ which is totally "plasticky".
And again: No fan, absolutely quiet.
And the size is nice. Big enough, but not bulky at all.

I'm just stressing it: Downloading 30GB of data from the web to the 64GB Micro SD card.
It sometimes struggles, as the downloads sometimes are faster than the writing speed. But I've had this on MacBook Air and "normal" PCs as well.
Very reassuring: After 2 hours, it's still not hot at all. Actually, not even sensibly warm.
And again: No fan noise!
And, considering it's from Asus, it's less ugly than you'd expect.

Nice! I've got the Microsoft Wedge Mouse. I thought, it's working perfectly already on Surface RT. But now it requested to install the "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center" in Windows 8. Now I can configure scroll speed, function of the mouse buttons and other details. There's even app-specific settings! Well, full blown Windows...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1264
mgmueller
Member Retired

Asus VivoTab Smart and some other Windows 8 tablets/hybrids

In the last few weeks I've checked out quite a few Windows 8 tablets.

For Windows RT, I'm perfectly fine with Microsoft Surface RT, no alternative needed.
I've seen a few, but in my opinion they all can't compete design- and quality-wise.

For Windows 8, I'm waiting anxiously for Microsoft Surface Pro.
There was a rumor, obviously linked to some Microsoft helpdesk staff, it would be available in Germany only 2 weeks after the release in the US.
Well, those 2 weeks are over and no sign of Microsoft Surface Pro.

So I've checked out the alternatives:

Sony Duo 11:
Great display, very well received in lots of reviews.
I bought it and it actually became one of the few gadgets I gave back.
a.) The fan is annoyingly noisy. Even with standard tasks such as surfing the web.
b.) I find the design not very appealing. To me, tablet mode is more important than ultrabook mode. When one folds the keyboard back and goes for tablet mode, the upper part with the display is about 5mm smaller on each side than the keyboard part. If you hold it in your hands, there are some edges. It doesn't look very "monolithic".
I would have accepted b.) because of the great display, but a.) eventually (after 5 hours of normal usage) did kill it for me.

Toshiba Satellite U920T:
The mechanism is similar to Sony PSP Go.
I was extremely tempted.
The display isn't very bright and did receive harsh reviews.
I love the option to adjust the display in ultrabook mode in free angles.
But the keyboard killed it for me. It feels and looks extremely cheap and I didn't like the haptic either. So I decided not to buy it, although my experience with Toshiba notebooks in the past was great.

Acer Iconia W700:
Classic tablet, no hybrid.
It's supposed to have a great sound system, but I can't tell from the noise level in German Media Markt, when checking it out there.
But it's gigantic. It looks and feels like 2 iPads glued back to back.
I can't imagine myself enjoying to hold this brick-like tablet.

Samsung Ativ Smart:
I came to kind of dislike Samsung tablets.
I did like Samsung Galaxy Note, but hated the problems with App2SD. Permanently had to struggle with memory. Not an Android problem, but specifically with some tablets: Sony tablet S (whereas Sony tablet P doesn't have this problem), Sony Xperia PLAY, Samsung Galaxy Note 1.
But leaving this isolated problem aside: I simply don't like the design of Samsung. Even the famous Galaxy Note 1 does have this cheap "plasticky" feel and the battery cover really is infamous for that.
Even worse so in my opinion with Ativ Smart. The back panel for me is too smooth to hold it comfortably and this shiny plastic simply doesn't do it for me.
The display unit a few weeks ago was surprisingly sluggish, but someone in another thread stated this could be solved via firmware update.

Asus VivoTab Smart:
I only had one Asus tablet so far: Asus EeePad Transformer.
I didn't like it at all. Kind of sticky display (couldn't smoothly slide my finger over the display), not very stylish design.
To me, Asus has the feel of a "low budget" manufacturer.
And I decided for Asus VivoTab Smart under exactly those assumptions: It's cheap and in some areas it really shows. But for this low price, it delivers.
It's one of the few Windows tablets that's light and thin enough to actually feel like a tablet instead of a laptop.
It's no beauty, but acceptable design-wise.
I don't like the fact that it's using eMMC instead of SSD, but obviously this has to be accepted in that price range.
Strange enough: When booting and in some other reproducible instances, there are some clicking sounds. Strange, no harddisk or other moving parts. Where's that clicking coming from?
Why did I buy it? I want to have a Windows tablet. Full blown Windows, not Windows RT. I can live with a bluetooth keyboard, I don't need a hybrid and want to avoid the bulk.
It has to be light enough to use it for a few hours on the couch or the train.
Fot the low level tasks I'm doing on this tablet, I don't want to have fan noise. It seems, all i3/i5/i7 processors need a fan, so probably one has to stick to Atom processors.
I get all this from Asus VivoTab Smart and for a "backup" tablet it's fine enough.
I still will go for Microsoft Surface Pro, simply because I love my Surface RT.
And actually: The more Windows tablets I see from other manufacturers, the more I come to admire Surface...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-24-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1265
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Surface Pro seems to be sold out everywhere --- demand is much higher than what they planned for.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #1266
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The Surface Pro seems to be sold out everywhere --- demand is much higher than what they planned for.
Sceptics say, it's artificial scarcity.
One critic said, it was the same with Microsoft Zune. And we all know, how that has ended...

I can't imagine, they'd postpone the launch in Germany (or other countries/regions) because of shortage in the US.
There have to be country- or at least region-specific schedules and resources in place...

But I'd certainly be glad for Microsoft -and for us consumers as well- if Surface will prove successful.
It's -in my opinion- the first real innovation in the tablet market for maybe 18 months. The rest is all cosmetics and gradual improvements such as resolution or processing power...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #1267
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Sceptics say, it's artificial scarcity.
Typical conspiracy crap. I will never believe that a company would make less units then they can actually sell on purpose.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #1268
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Typical conspiracy crap. I will never believe that a company would make less units then they can actually sell on purpose.

BOb
I've seen this ("artificial scarcity") once with one of my clients.
The market of this client basically is shared between 3 global players of about equal size.
One of those 3 did have temporary (3 months) problems with their supply line. The other 2 didn't jump onto that opportunity, but:
a.) They actually did produce for the 3rd one and label the products accordingly.
b.) Limited their own production, so the 3rd somewhat could keep up.

Quote of my client back then:
"What makes more sense long-term? Gaining some market share and bringing more aggression to the business? Or each of us 3 sticking to about 1/3 of the market and not running into any problems?".

Of course, with tablets it's a bit different. More competitors. Way more fluctuations.
Still, I can imagine, from a strategic perspective it makes more sense for Microsoft stating "huge demand" and "shortage of stock" instead of "huge quantities on stock and only limited demand".
After all, Microsoft still has all the other manufacturers in place. If a Windows enthusiast doesn't buy a Microsoft tablet, the Asus, Samsung, Acer or whatever tablet still is loaded with Microsoft software/OS.
So Microsoft doesn't have to aim for market share of their own tablets alone, but for cashflow, image and such as well.

Meaning:
I don't think, they'd actually limit their capacities to generate an artificial hype.
But I can imagine, they produce based on a very conservative forecast. And prefer shortage of their own tablets and one of their partners closing the gap, instead of binding cash, angering their partners even more and gaining not very much.
Given the still relatively low volume, Microsoft won't generate much profits on the tablets anyway. It's certainly way more important, having Windows 8 in place against iOS and Android - on whatever manufacturer's tablet.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #1269
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
I'm from Switzerland and I have bought a Surface RT 32GB when it came out last November from an auction site. Now someone brought me a Surface Pro 128GB from the US.

I do like both Tablets. I would wish that the battery life of the Pro is better and it is less heavy. But except that it is a great Tablet and the Modern UI comes into play beautifully.

I definitely think there is a market for such tablets, but I think people are used to iPads or subnotebooks and it will take a while until the market accept it.

Cheers,
Edy
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1270
mgmueller
Member Retired

Speed comparison Asus VivoTab Smart vs. Microsoft Surface RT

Far from being a valid benchmark, but just to share:
I've decided to hard-reset both tablets.
When Surface RT was done resetting, Asus VivoTab still was at 9%.
I know: Windows RT vs. Windows 8. You can't validly compare.
Still: Surprisingly significant differences in speed.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #1271
mgmueller
Member Retired

Surface Pro on eBay

It goes for ca. € 1.000 to € 1.1000.
More or less the usual: Direct 1:1 conversion from US Dollars to Euros.
Nice business for the sellers. Given the exchange rate, that's roughly a margin of 25%, if they can avoid VAT and customs...
I'm tempted, but I probably won't do it. I'm not a fan of eBay, as you never know who's your counterpart...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #1272
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edy View Post
I'm from Switzerland and I have bought a Surface RT 32GB when it came out last November from an auction site. Now someone brought me a Surface Pro 128GB from the US.

I do like both Tablets. I would wish that the battery life of the Pro is better and it is less heavy. But except that it is a great Tablet and the Modern UI comes into play beautifully.

I definitely think there is a market for such tablets, but I think people are used to iPads or subnotebooks and it will take a while until the market accept it.

Cheers,
Edy
How's the display quality?
And, most importantly: What about the noise of the fan?
Some reviews stated "annoying like a hover". Others stated "didn't hear it at all".
I can live with fan noise under heavy usage. I can hear the fan of my MacBook Air right now as well. But I don't want to have any kind of noise when surfing the web on the couch or doing similar low-level tasks.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #1273
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
Quote:
How's the display quality?
And, most importantly: What about the noise of the fan?
Some reviews stated "annoying like a hover". Others stated "didn't hear it at all".
I can live with fan noise under heavy usage. I can hear the fan of my MacBook Air right now as well. But I don't want to have any kind of noise when surfing the web on the couch or doing similar low-level tasks.
I do not hear the fan. The surface gets warm after some time on the right lower section of the back. This is not so suitable if you hold the Surface in your hands on the sofa.

I would say the display quality is excellent. Last night I was watching an Internet stream on my Surface Pro, which my iPad didn't support. I guess it was Flash.

I prefer the Surface Pro over the Surface RT. It's a real computer. A bit heavier and thicker, but in my view not a problem. Of course I would wish the next version is thinner and less heavier and doesn't get warm. But one has to know an i5 chip is inside.
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #1274
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edy View Post
I do not hear the fan. The surface gets warm after some time on the right lower section of the back. This is not so suitable if you hold the Surface in your hands on the sofa.

I would say the display quality is excellent. Last night I was watching an Internet stream on my Surface Pro, which my iPad didn't support. I guess it was Flash.

I prefer the Surface Pro over the Surface RT. It's a real computer. A bit heavier and thicker, but in my view not a problem. Of course I would wish the next version is thinner and less heavier and doesn't get warm. But one has to know an i5 chip is inside.
Sounds great. I've read a review that described the fan: It seem to be 2 fans. Both are rotated automatically, depending on the direction you hold the tablet. The fans are rotated accordingly, so they don't blow warm air into your face but the opposite direction. Sounds very advanced...
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #1275
mgmueller
Member Retired

Dell Latitude 10

I wanted to have a Windows 8 tablet with pen.
And without fan.
And with 3G.
Microsoft Surface Pro takes forever to launch in Germany and I don't want to order from the US for once.

So I've ordered the Dell Latitude 10.
It's somewhat similar to Asus VivoTab Smart, but costs about twice.
For an Atom unit, the price tag of € 950 is quite steep.
But it aims for the business clientele and seems worth it.
I'm just configuring it, but first impressions are great. Way more "valuable" than Asus VivoTab Smart.
I guess, VivoTab Smart will be my travel companion, when I want to travel light and don't bother about performance (and even more so about "style").
But Dell Latitude will be my "working horse".
VivoTab Smart performs well enough for "standard" business tasks, so I expect (at least) the same from Dell Latitude 10.

BTW: I did receive the pen for Dell Latitude from the Netherlands, but the tablet itself from China.
UPS stated, delivery within 4 days. I didn't believe it, but here it is! On the 4th day!

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test