Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student
renzii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 6th Gen
Question Lost Library

My hard drive was malfunctioning and I was advised to back up everything I cared about, ie my calibre library. So I uploaded it to an online service (which took half a day!), and slowed everything down a lot. So i used my Nook HD (with the Google Play update) until it was finished.
But when I checked back, apparently instead of copying my file, it actually moved it. So I uploaded a new book to my library and then tried adding (copy/paste) the files from the online folder. The books are there I can click and read them on my Adobe Digital Editions, but they don't appear in my Calibre library.
Any ideas as to how I can fix/manage this would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
renzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Did you get this fixed yet? If not, you may want to try copying the books back to your local hard drive (copy, not move) and then pointing your Calibre library to that location. Or reimporting after you've moved them back to your local hard drive?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student

Thank you for your response. but no, I'm still stuck.

I did copy them onto the drive, renamed it My Calibre Library and then used the Create/ Switch library function to point Calibre its way, to no avail.

And with over 5500 items, re-adding them - considering the fact that Calibre will not look inside the book folders so I would have to open each one and add it individually would really be exhausting! So I'm still hoping for some more ideas... Thanks anyway!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

renzii -- So when you go to "Switch/create library..." at the top, and the window pops up, does it tell you the location of the current library? What does it say there? Is the location in the cloud? If so, click to the right of the empty field and navigate to a new location on your local hard drive to relocate your library there.

Back up the books in the cloud first before you do this.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What online service was used for the backup? Checking because if it was Google Drive then it is known that Google Drive does not copy the filenames correctly, and this has driven someone to write a utility to restore the correct names.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student

I used Dropbox. And PatNY, I did try that.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzii View Post
Thank you for your response. but no, I'm still stuck.

I did copy them onto the drive, renamed it My Calibre Library and then used the Create/ Switch library function to point Calibre its way, to no avail.

And with over 5500 items, re-adding them - considering the fact that Calibre will not look inside the book folders so I would have to open each one and add it individually would really be exhausting! So I'm still hoping for some more ideas... Thanks anyway!
If you use the second option under adding books or the third calibre will look in the subfolders and add them all.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
PatNY
Zennist

Helen, I thought that was the case, but I didn't bother to check. It's good to know Calibre can do that if I ever need to recreate my library.

At any rate, renzii, there's your answer. Just copy your library from dropbox back to your local hard drive and import all the books into Calibre again. It will take awhile, but it's all automated.

I have had big problems with dropbox before -- keeping the inbox for my mail client there -- and will never again make that same mistake. So be careful using dropbox for any active databases. I would use it only for manual backups.

--Pat
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student

I'm going to try this tonight guys. Thank you for all your advice, you are an amazing community!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
renzii
Librarian/Reader/Student

Just tried one and it worked! Thank you forever!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Helen, I thought that was the case, but I didn't bother to check. It's good to know Calibre can do that if I ever need to recreate my library.

At any rate, renzii, there's your answer. Just copy your library from dropbox back to your local hard drive and import all the books into Calibre again. It will take awhile, but it's all automated.

I have had big problems with dropbox before -- keeping the inbox for my mail client there -- and will never again make that same mistake. So be careful using dropbox for any active databases. I would use it only for manual backups.

--Pat
I have been using dropbox and calibre for years with no problems. How did you move your books to dropbox if you dont mind my asking. Just copying the calibre library to dropbox folder on your hard drive then pointing calibre to it should have worked like normal as it is just a normal folder.
Dropbox doesnt just upload the changes but the whole file so syncing email files might not be optimal but ebooks being so small its great for calibre.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I have been using dropbox and calibre for years with no problems. How did you move your books to dropbox if you dont mind my asking. Just copying the calibre library to dropbox folder on your hard drive then pointing calibre to it should have worked like normal as it is just a normal folder.
I was wondering the same thing. There are some possibilities.

1. The library was on a drive that admittedly was having problems.

2. If a new drive was brought in it is possible that the metadata.db file was not fully sync'd to the cloud prior to replacing the bad drive.

3. If the final position of the library was sync'd to a new drive then it is possible that before the entire Dropbox was sync'd from the cloud to the local (new) drive that the OP opened calibre and thus stopped the syncing of the metadata.db file. Essentially creating a blank library.

Quote:
Dropbox doesnt just upload the changes but the whole file so syncing email files might not be optimal but ebooks being so small its great for calibre.
I agree I've used Calibre in Dropbox for about 3 years without a hitch.

I've been using Calibre in my Copy.com cloud storage (see signature) for about 5 weeks and so far it works fine and I was able to get more free space than I was able to get via Dropbox. If I ever have a problem I'll report it here first but so far so good.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-22-2013 at 07:58 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
I never used dropbox for Calibre. I used it to mirror/backup my Thunderbird files -- with disastrous results. One day all the contents of my inbox disappeared! Other mailboxes within Thunderbird were fine except for the primary inbox. I was able to redownload most of the mail -- so I didn't lose much -- but I said never again.

Dropbox may very well work fine for Calibre, but I will never use it to backup a live database again. I only use the cloud for redundant backups now or temporary storage -- no live databases!

Correction -- I do use the cloud ONLY when a mobile app absolutely requires it. Like MS OneNote and iCloud for tasks for iOS. I have had no problems with either of those two.

--Pat