Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #76
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
All I'm going to say is that the OP might find he fits in a little better here:

http://boards.4chan.org/lit/
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #77
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
So, I'd agree that we shouldn't seek to mandate a definition, or think that we have the only answer. However, that doesnt mean that attempts to understand what art is, why we make it, how people respond to it etc. are impractical or without value - quite the opposite.
I think those attempts would tell us more about ourselves than they'd tell us about art.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #78
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I think those attempts would tell us more about ourselves than they'd tell us about art.
It's true that they'd tell us about ourselves - but without ourselves there is no art - it's in us, not out there.

If humanity were to become extinct - would there be any art? No. Not unless there was a creature capable of perceiving it as art - a giant fire hydrant might still be dog-art I suppose.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #79
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester
Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
What is art?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
If I say that I don't like Picasso's cubism period, does his work cease to be art?
Yes, I'd say it DOES cease to qualify as art, FOR YOU. Obviously, however, it would be going too far to suggest that Picasso therefore ceases to be an artist...

Art and its definition lies in the eye of the beholder (and also in the eye of its creator). For me (and I recognize it's a very personal thing) if a painting or literature or sculpture or film or play or whatever SPEAKS TO MY INNER BEING, TO MY SOUL, then it is art -- for me.

I do not agree with the notion that, in order to qualify as art, the material must cause one to look at the world a different way somehow. Constable painted very realistic images of how the world IS -- he didn't seek to change people's view of the world in the least.
Graham Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote