Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
505 in Sangria Red on the way- now what cover/case/light?

My husband got a new laptop for his birthday and Dell was running a deal on the Sangria red 505 of $259-$30 promo discount - 7% Employee Purchase Program Discount - 3% for using our Dell account w/ no interest till 2010. Plus we got free shipping. So it came to $206 plus tax. The silver was sold out and the Blue wasn't on sale, so Sangria Red it is.

Had I gotten silver or even dark blue, I'd have gone for a fuschia or purple M-Edge case. I like girly. I was all set to get a Kindle and haven't really done a lot of research yet on accessories for the Sony. What would you all recommend? I am a Mom on the go, will be carrying it in my giant Mom purse quite a bit in order to read during baseball/gymnastics/ballet/doc appts/ etc. I have a 3 year old and I need something that will at least offer some protection should she get a hold of it. Small hands with some joint troubles and don't want anything to make it really heavy or bulky, and obviously would like room for SD cards, etc.

I did search on here but there seems to be so many different options and searching 'sangria' only turned up one entry that had to do with skins and not cases. What would YOU pick if you had a Sangria Red reader and liked to girly things up?

Also, booklights. I have a Mighty Brite Xtra Flex 2 that I use for regular ink reading which I love but is there something better for the 505? Light Wedge?

Anything else a must have?

Thanks in advance! I'm really geeked. Only bad thing is that delivery isn't scheduled till August 3rd . At least I have plenty of time to pick out accessories and download books, lol.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
hmmm. Perhaps an M-Edge Red Case, with an Mighty Brite Xtra Flex Silver, OR Mighty Brite TravelFlex Silver. That sounds attractive with a Sangria reader.

The only only Must have for me and my reader is my public library card for downloading books, and my MobileRead membership.

That is all. Life is good.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
you sound disappointed with the red color . oh, well. if that is the case then try www.decalgirl.com , you should find some pretty cool, and girly, decals to cover your reader to really bring out your character.

as for a protective cover, not only from the accidents waiting for you in your purse but your child as well, the M-Edge covers can easily be opened by the strap so there may be no protection there.

you could try to "McGyver/McGruber" a case together that has a zipper to help. there was a poster here (sorry can't remember the name) but they used a case that came with some computer cables. take out all the cables and you have a case that just fits the 505. or try bookarmor sold at Amazon. sturdy, zippered, yada yada yada.....
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The M-edge covers are of a nice, sturdy quality. As for lights, the Mighty bright travel flex seems a good possible choice:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50879

I'm awaiting both covers and a light. I'll let 'ya all know when they arrive what i think.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
you sound disappointed with the red color . oh, well. if that is the case then try www.decalgirl.com , you should find some pretty cool, and girly, decals to cover your reader to really bring out your character.

as for a protective cover, not only from the accidents waiting for you in your purse but your child as well, the M-Edge covers can easily be opened by the strap so there may be no protection there.

you could try to "McGyver/McGruber" a case together that has a zipper to help. there was a poster here (sorry can't remember the name) but they used a case that came with some computer cables. take out all the cables and you have a case that just fits the 505. or try bookarmor sold at Amazon. sturdy, zippered, yada yada yada.....
I'm not disappointed in the red color, per se. I just probably wouldn't have chosen it absent of a great deal. I think that the blue or silver gives more options as far as coordinating accessories, that's all. And I am looking at pictures of the red and wondering what choices I have other than black or brown for cases . I was reading the decal girl thread and took a look over there and there are a few that I kind of like...but I figure first I need to pick a sturdy case and work backwards. I was thinking about possibly getting a small neoprene netbook cover that zips and putting the reader (in it's case) inside to keep it from getting trashed in my purse. I have Microcenter near here and I might go scouring for a clamshell case that would fit it as well.

I just don't see a lot of folks with or talking about the Sangria color and I'm not sure why that is.

I would like a soft-ish cover for the feel in the hand, I think. *shrug*

It's a lot to think about, I am trying to educate myself on converting formats/DRM issues, etc. I've already figured out I need to get a PSP charger and install Calibre, lol.
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Computer centers are great for putting together bomb-proof covers for the 505! I bought two, each made of slightly different material, and put one inside the other. Both are clamshell zipped, but I cut off one end so I could top-load the reader without having to remove the case from my bag, cutting through the zipper, then gluing over the remaining zipper to keep it from opening. The outer bag is made from a fairly stiff foam giving lots of protection from impact. The inner bag is made from 5mm neoprene giving great protection from shock and vibration. Together they are just slightly larger than the 505 in its original cover, providing very secure carrying in all conditions while still allowing me to just reach in and slip out the book for a quick page or two. For more security I can slip in hard plastic panels between the two bags if needed for activities such as Brahma Bull riding, Moto-Cross, or Demolition Derby, but these don't come up very often.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I really like my Might Bright Flex LED booklight for my Reader. No glare

You can also check out this store here on etsy for cute covers. Looks like she just added a bunch, and I see a couple that would look fantastic with your Sangria Reader! BTW I have two of her covers and looooove them.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6257799
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I have the Sangria one, and I love it. But then I love almost anything red. I have the lightwedge cover, and I don't think I could live without it. I love the light provided by the lightwedge, and I think the black cover looks really great with the red. I'm aware that black and red is not really a girly combination, however.

I also use a small neoprene sleeve that was made for a small netbook to hold my reader inside my purse. It wouldn't protect it from crushing if I ran the car over my purse, but it keeps my screen and my lightwedge from getting scratched by my keys or pens while in my purse.

If I didn't have the lightwedge cover, I'd be tempted to get the gray and black M-Edge cover. I LOVE black, gray, and red together. Very sophisticated!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If your reader will be banging around in a purse, make sure you get a sturdy case for it. I recommend the Armor case (you can find them on eBay). It's not chic but don't risk bending/breaking the screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
First off...WELCOME...it sounds like you got an awesome deal on the 505!! I have the midnight blue, but looking back I almost wish I would've gotten the red....the red is very stylish! And who says you can't throw red and fuschia together? Now THAT would be girly!! I have the lightwedge made for the 505 and while I think it serves it's purpose, if I did it all over again I probably wouldn't buy the lightwedge. The lightwedge seems to go through batteries pretty quick and the screen seems a bit foggy. Eventually I will look for another type of light. I will say though that I use the lightwedge all the time, even in the day time and it's nice to have that extra bit of light. All they need to do is make the plastic CLEARER and then it would be perfect. The lightwedge also limits you on what types of covers you can have. I want to get a more secure case so I can start bringing my 505 with me. I'm afraid to let it loose in my purse now for fear something will scratch it. I've brought it out (and anxiously waited for somebody to notice it and ask about it) and luckily it's been safe SO FAR! But you never know what could happen. I, personally, would like a cover that I could zip up. I looked at the book Armor and liked that case. Anyway, I've given you an earful already....ENJOY your new toy. August 3rd will come quick.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Cream w. tan strap would be classy with the red, but if you like colour (like me), I'd go for the jade green or perhaps sapphire blue. Pink wouldn't be bad either, but perhaps a little bland IMO.

If I were you, I'd buy a jade green and a cream w. tan strap.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
If your reader will be banging around in a purse, make sure you get a sturdy case for it. I recommend the Armor case (you can find them on eBay). It's not chic but don't risk bending/breaking the screen.
This is my big fear. I am trying to figure out if the reader will fit in the Armor case with the M-Edge cover on? It says it's supposed to fit w/ the stock cover, so I would guess it would?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
First off...WELCOME...it sounds like you got an awesome deal on the 505!! I have the midnight blue, but looking back I almost wish I would've gotten the red....the red is very stylish! And who says you can't throw red and fuschia together? Now THAT would be girly!! I have the lightwedge made for the 505 and while I think it serves it's purpose, if I did it all over again I probably wouldn't buy the lightwedge. The lightwedge seems to go through batteries pretty quick and the screen seems a bit foggy. Eventually I will look for another type of light. I will say though that I use the lightwedge all the time, even in the day time and it's nice to have that extra bit of light. All they need to do is make the plastic CLEARER and then it would be perfect. The lightwedge also limits you on what types of covers you can have. I want to get a more secure case so I can start bringing my 505 with me. I'm afraid to let it loose in my purse now for fear something will scratch it. I've brought it out (and anxiously waited for somebody to notice it and ask about it) and luckily it's been safe SO FAR! But you never know what could happen. I, personally, would like a cover that I could zip up. I looked at the book Armor and liked that case. Anyway, I've given you an earful already....ENJOY your new toy. August 3rd will come quick.
THANKS for the welcome and the great info (I gave you Karma points!) I think that I am going to skip the lightwedge. I would like a case that zips up that I could put the reader inside with a soft cover on, I think. I don't know.

Can you see the BookArmor cases anywhere in real life or are they only online?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Cream w. tan strap would be classy with the red, but if you like colour (like me), I'd go for the jade green or perhaps sapphire blue. Pink wouldn't be bad either, but perhaps a little bland IMO.

If I were you, I'd buy a jade green and a cream w. tan strap.
LOL, now how could you tell I am the kind of girl who will probably buy 2, lol?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I really like my Might Bright Flex LED booklight for my Reader. No glare

You can also check out this store here on etsy for cute covers. Looks like she just added a bunch, and I see a couple that would look fantastic with your Sangria Reader! BTW I have two of her covers and looooove them.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6257799
I would get one (or more) of these in a heartbeat if I could find a decent clamshell hard case to zip it up for my purse/bag. I really love handmade things and I especially like supporting folks on etsy. Thanks for the linky, if I find a case, I will so be there for a cover!