Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Kindle DX's impact on iRex 1000

With the new Kindle DX available at $489, I wonder how it would impact the higher cost of the iRex 1000, priced at EUR 699's survival?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Kindle DX is only for the US market. There's still Europe and other parts of the world where people buy ebooks.

DR1000S has a touch screen and (rather poor) scribbling feature, Kindle DX doesn't.

I don't think they're going to lower their price.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I think that the price difference between the dr1000 and the kindledx that amount to 370$ is so high that Irex will loose its market share in the USA very rapidly.
The price point set by the kindledx will certainly affect the cost of the next 10'' devices from sony, jinke, netronix and plasticlogic. If these new devices will cost under 500$ then irex will have to lower its prices substantially to survive.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
When I was shopping, I looked hard at the iRex because I wanted the larger screen and PDF support, but there was no way I could justify the price. Now I'm eagerly awaiting my DX.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Even though Kindle is US only, I think we'll see iRex adjust their price points in the future.
I suppose they might be aimed at slightly different markets, just like Apple stuff is overpriced compared to PCs.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Richard Fink
Richard Fink began at the beginning.

Device: IRex 1000S, iPhone
I've been using the iRex 1000S. I like it but it has some glitchy behavior and some usability work certainly needs to be done for the next version. The reason I bought it was because of the larger screen and because it supported PDF without any complications.
I have been holding off on buying a Kindle because I was waiting for a larger-screen version which, of course, is what the DX is all about.
One important feature for me is whether the DX imposes any inconveniences for PDF's like having to install it by emailing through a special Amazon account or something. I understand the desire to protect publisher's content, but if it causes me inconvenience when I'm dealing with free and open content, that will make me think twice.
I'm sure iRex will respond to the DX, price-wise. The E-Reader wars are just beginning!
Richard Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Even though Kindle is US only, I think we'll see iRex adjust their price points in the future.
They've already started posting about it on their forum. They didn't say directly that they're going to lower prices, but they are definitely aware of the pricing concerns and the effect the DX is going to have on their sales.

I don't think iRex is ever going to win a price war with Amazon/Sony though. The relative size of the company makes that nearly impossible. I do suspect though, that they'll come down some, and then try to compete on features (touchscreen, format support, etc) to try and make up the difference.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I do suspect though, that they'll come down some, and then try to compete on features (touchscreen, format support, etc) to try and make up the difference.
And don't forget most of the world can only buy an iRex if they want a larger screen.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
Kindle DX is only for the US market. There's still Europe and other parts of the world where people buy ebooks.

DR1000S has a touch screen and (rather poor) scribbling feature, Kindle DX doesn't.
Plus, the DX is "vapourware" - it probably won't be available for at least 6 months. You can buy a DR1000 now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Irex products always were a little bit more exclusive (like Apple only cooler .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
it probably won't be available for at least 6 months.
Six months? Where did you get that information?
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The DX is not "vapourware", even in quotes. It's been announced, and you know as well as anyone else that it will be available.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
With the new Kindle DX available at $489, I wonder how it would impact the higher cost of the iRex 1000, priced at EUR 699's survival?
Having pleased with the newest firmware, I started to think that Kindle DX might be a good news for iRex. So far, iRex's DR was not visible widely and I don't think their sales record was very high. Kindle DX might promote the visibility of DR because people who are frustrated with some lacking functions in Kindle-DX will start to look for alternatives.

However it depends on how fast the iRex implements some lacking features, such as better synchronization with PCs (it won't be comparable to Kindle's wireless download, but still ok to many people), better note-taking functions, and checkpoint to flash, etc.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Six months? Where did you get that information?
HarryT just likes to badmouth anything Amazon does.

The Kindle DX is slated for "summer" release, and will have to be available before the fall college season. We're talking June - August timeframe.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
HarryT just likes to badmouth anything Amazon does.
Ha! If you knew the amount of money I spend at Amazon, you would not say that .

Quote:
The Kindle DX is slated for "summer" release, and will have to be available before the fall college season. We're talking June - August timeframe.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, a limited release is due to take place this summer. Mass production of 9.7" screens isn't due to happen until the end of the year. It's not just Amazon waiting for these screens - all the manufacturers are, and there's no reason to suppose that Amazon will be able to obtain them in bulk before anybody else does. There's only one supplier - PVI in Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote