Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #46
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
@davidfor or jgoguen

Did anyone of you tried using Epub3 serie information to auto update Kobo's database ?

I tried it without any luck so far. I also tried with latest beta firmware but again it was not working.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #47
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
@davidfor or jgoguen

Did anyone of you tried using Epub3 serie information to auto update Kobo's database ?

I tried it without any luck so far. I also tried with latest beta firmware but again it was not working.
davidfor suggested that I try it in my plugin, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Could you post here (inside a code block) the metadata section of your packaging file (it has a .opf extension, frequently named "content.opf" from what I've seen) so I can see if it matches what I had in mind to test?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #48
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

I copy pasted the example (lord of the ring) here : http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...itles-examples

I tried it with a real EPUB3 file.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #49
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's unfortunate, that's the same example I was going to base my attempt on.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #50
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
That's unfortunate, that's the same example I was going to base my attempt on.
Please try it yourself, I may have made a mistake

In fact I'm hoping so !
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #51
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

If you want to post the entire metadata section of your packaging file I can at least tell you if it looks like what I'm expecting based on my reading of the specification.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #52
vlad59
Addict

You can check with the full file :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15180910/wa...118.kepub.epub
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #53
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For those who are missing the covers when the use ".kepub.epub" books, there is a "simple" fix. For a couple of reason, today I loaded some ePub3 books. These had to be .kepub.epub to use the kepub reader. I was surprised when the books turned up in the library with a cover. I opened up the files to see how the cover was specified. The OPF file, in the <manifest> section, had the following line:

Code:
<item media-type="image/jpeg" id="cover" href="cover.jpg" properties="cover-image"></item>
When I looked at an ePub2, the equivalent line didn't have the "properties". I added this to the epub, copied it to the device, changed the extension and disconnected. The cover image was extracted and displayed correctly.

An interesting thing is that the cover image is used directly. For epubs, the device generates the first page of the book and uses that as the cover image. With the above, the it seems the image is extracted from the file and used.

With the usual "don't try this at home", "make sure you know what you are doing", "it's not my fault if you mess it up", to add this in calibre:

- Select the book
- Right click on it and select "Tweak Book"
- On the dialog that opens, press "Explode book". A window will open with the contents of the book.
- Find the OPF file. It is usually called "package.opf" or "content.opf". This file contains XML.
- Edit the OPF file. In Windows I use Notepad++ but Notepad should be OK.
- Find the "<manifest>" section.
- Somewhere before the "<manifest>" line, should be a line similar to above or the following.
Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
- Add properties="cover-image" within the tag. THe above would then look like:

Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image" />
- Save the changes and close the window with the files in it.
- On the calibre window, press the "Rebuild Book" button.

The epub is now ready to be put on your Kobo device with the appropriate extension.
I have tried very hard, but I am afraid this does not work for me - I've even tried to rename the image file to "cover" just in case it made any difference, but I am afraid it does not. Frustratingly, the correct cover image is there as the first page of the book when I open it, but it does not show anywhere else: not when shutting off the device, nor in the home screen, nor in the shelves. Any ideas? I am attaching the specific book as it is in the public domain, but I cannot make this work with other epub files, either.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I have tried very hard, but I am afraid this does not work for me - I've even tried to rename the image file to "cover" just in case it made any difference, but I am afraid it does not. Frustratingly, the correct cover image is there as the first page of the book when I open it, but it does not show anywhere else: not when shutting off the device, nor in the home screen, nor in the shelves. Any ideas? I am attaching the specific book as it is in the public domain, but I cannot make this work with other epub files, either.
When I used Sigil to open the book you posted I found the following line in the content.opf file:

<item content="cover-image" href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

What I did not see was a line with the properties="cover-image" item as in the example below:

<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image" />

I would suspect that changing the content= to properties= in the line quoted might allow the cover to work. OTOH, Sigil was unhappy with either content or properties in that line which is more or less to be expected.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #55
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I used Sigil to open the book you posted I found the following line in the content.opf file:

<item content="cover-image" href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

What I did not see was a line with the properties="cover-image" item as in the example below:

I would suspect that changing the content= to properties= in the line quoted might allow the cover to work. OTOH, Sigil was unhappy with either content or properties in that line which is more or less to be expected.

Regards,
David
mmh - actually the line
Quote:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" content="cover-image"/>
is the last one before the </manifest> tag, while I cannot find the one you quote: could it be because I did not edit with Sigil? this is really bizarre!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After changing content= to properties= and the file type to .kepub.epub, the cover does display on my Glo either in sleep mode or power off mode.

Regards,
David
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #57
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
After changing content= to properties= and the file type to .kepub.epub, the cover does display on my Glo either in sleep mode or power off mode.

Regards,
David
David, this is so weird: if I open the opf with Sigil I see what you see, while with Wordpad I don't! Anyhow, I edited with Sigil, and now it works - so thanks a lot (though I cannot understand while with the Calibre tweaking I see something else!!!) Grateful for your help!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
David, this is so weird: if I open the opf with Sigil I see what you see, while with Wordpad I don't! Anyhow, I edited with Sigil, and now it works - so thanks a lot (though I cannot understand while with the Calibre tweaking I see something else!!!) Grateful for your help!
Good to hear that it is working for you now.

Regards,
David
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
Please try it yourself, I may have made a mistake

In fact I'm hoping so !
I tried it over the weekend myself and it didn't work. What you did matched what I did, so the firmware isn't reading it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #60
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I tried it over the weekend myself and it didn't work. What you did matched what I did, so the firmware isn't reading it.
Sounds like a request for the future firmware requests thread

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo