Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Repeating passages in pre-loaded books?

I hadn't yet had a chance to read any of the 100 books that came pre-loaded on my Kobo. Last night, I tried to read Pride and Prejudice. I was reading along, and all of a sudden I got deja vu. A passage that I'd already read had popped up again. The page numbers didn't reflect this at all, so I hadn't skipped backwards or anything; the passage just seemed to be duplicated. I looked ahead a bit, and found this problem again and again.

Thinking it was just that book, I tried reading The Princess and the Goblin. Same issue. The same passage that's on page 1 repeats itself at around page 3.

Is my database of pre-loaded books somehow borked? Or is this a known issue with these books? As it is, they're not readable. How do I fix this, if it is indeed a problem with my Kobo?

La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I've read several times on this forum that doing a factory reset will cure this, but then you must also reload your purchased books and your settings.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks. The odd thing is, I've already done a factory reset twice (for different problems). I'm a little wary of doing it yet again, especially since I don't know if I'm going to run out of ADE authorizations.

Maybe I'll try it when I don't have a bunch of half-read library books checked out...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe try reloading the database? Check some of the stickied messages. Do make sure to use the correct instructions for the Original Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I also had this. I have an original kobo was one of the early upgraders to 1.8.1. This happened to several people who upgraded within the first couple of days.

About a month ago I posted the same question here. The answer was to do the upgrade again - it is now 1.8.3 (I think) and the issue has been resolved.

What version of firmware are you on as this could be your problem.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur

Good question. I think I had one of the early versions... 1.8.1 or 1.8.2. I've upgraded and now I'm charging. We'll see how it goes...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Coccinelle View Post
[...]Last night, I tried to read Pride and Prejudice. I was reading along, and all of a sudden I got deja vu. A passage that I'd already read had popped up again. The page numbers didn't reflect this at all, so I hadn't skipped backwards or anything; the passage just seemed to be duplicated. I looked ahead a bit, and found this problem again and again.

Thinking it was just that book, I tried reading The Princess and the Goblin. Same issue. The same passage that's on page 1 repeats itself at around page 3.

Is my database of pre-loaded books somehow borked? Or is this a known issue with these books? As it is, they're not readable. How do I fix this, if it is indeed a problem with my Kobo?

Same thing happened to me... but I checked 5 or 6 of the original 100 and they all had repeated sections. The length and number of repeated parts varied (it seemed that they are related to the size of the file). I ended up hiding the 100 books using Calibre and now I download the ones I want to read from Feedbooks.
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote