Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
BTW, we can now upload samples of our ebooks on Goodreads. I believe that making large samples available to readers is an important marketing technique.

Also, let's not forget, that ebooks/ereaders are still in their infancy; so if we're not selling too many ebooks we can't always be hard on ourselves.

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Loretta
Loretta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Greencat,
Thanks for the helpful suggestions, many of which I plan to incorporate into the marketing of my own recently published eBooks.

[Self-Promotion is not allowed in this forum - MODERATOR]

Last edited by dreams; 08-20-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I've had my book - [Self-Promotion is not allowed in this forum - MODERATOR] on Amazon for a few days, and according to the sales report have sold 1 copy. I also put it on Smashwords today, and sold a copy there.

On the other hand, I've had my pulp anthology - [Self-Promotion is not allowed in this forum = MODERATOR] Strangely Odd Tales[/URL] up for about a week, and so far nothing.

I'm actually a bit surprised, I figured that second title would sell better, since it's an anthology, and I have a much more famous author, HP Lovecraft, attached to it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #19
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I sell a few copies a day on both Amazon and Smashwords but the price of an eBook is so low the revenue raised is largely pointless
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I launched my first book on Amazon DTP, Barnes & Noble Pubit!, and Smashwords a couple months ago. The good news is that it's pretty easy to put it out there.

The hard part is drumming up interest. Promotions and marketing. I've had over a hundred sales and a handful of great reviews from random strangers, but sales are dropping off.

I've been trying to evaluate different paid and unpaid advertising options. None have proven strong for me yet. But I'm focusing on writing and publishing more this year and I will continue trying new marketing techniques and venues.

Some people have had a lot of success with very little effort in promotions. I think that has a lot to do with writing in popular genres. Know your audience!
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
JulieMack
Enthusiast
JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Help with Marketing" was merged with "Marketing: What Works," since that is the older and more established thread.

It is located in this Writers' Forum, and may be clicked on right here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108506

Don
(Moderator)
Thanks I will look over there as well!!
JulieMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Great suggestions here. What I didn't see brought up is-- It all depends on your definition of success. If you want sales like J.K. Rowling in order for you to feel successful, you're unlikely to get it. For me, successful means that I'm selling some books, and I feel really good if my royalty payment was higher than the last one. My first royalty payment was $10. My second was $14! Woo- Hoo. Third quarter of 2010, I became a hundredaire!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
JulieMack
Enthusiast
JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JulieMack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Great suggestions here. What I didn't see brought up is-- It all depends on your definition of success. If you want sales like J.K. Rowling in order for you to feel successful, you're unlikely to get it. For me, successful means that I'm selling some books, and I feel really good if my royalty payment was higher than the last one. My first royalty payment was $10. My second was $14! Woo- Hoo. Third quarter of 2010, I became a hundredaire!
Sounds like you are a success to me. I guess I define success in little steps, making some sales. Thanks for the response.
JulieMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #24
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I'd agree with Julie. Selling a hundred is fantastic. One thing I'll add - once you get a thousand sold, the next thousand is usually quicker and easier because you've worked out what works, your book likely has a few reviews etc.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been publishing on Amazon and have had some moderate success (if you compare it with some of the huge sales figures that others are showing).

It's difficult to say what makes a book successful. But Can You Drink the Water? had some reviews on Amazon.com and I was on the forums there, but I don't think the British humour was understood/appreciated by some American readers. However, when it also appeared on Amazon UK there were no reviews and I wasn't active on the boards, but sales took off. This month I've sold 10 copies in the US, but 433 in the UK. It sells for 99c/72p. When the book got into the top #100 bestseller list the sales seemed to snowball.
There doesn't seem to be a magic bullet that fits all.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlewis View Post
The hard part is drumming up interest. Promotions and marketing. I've had over a hundred sales and a handful of great reviews from random strangers, but sales are dropping off.

I've been trying to evaluate different paid and unpaid advertising options. None have proven strong for me yet. But I'm focusing on writing and publishing more this year and I will continue trying new marketing techniques and venues.
Sounds a lot like my experience, too. I agree, being noticed among the thousands of other titles, many being promoted by established promotional machines with the big publishers, is tough (you won't see my books scrolling past on the B&N frontpage). And traditional ad venues are being shut off by those who "detest advertising," leaving fewer opportunities to promote your work other than inspired gimmicks with viral potential.

For me, I've had very few sales on Amazon, B&N or Smashwords, almost to the extent that it's this close to a waste of time for me to maintain them. On the other hand, I also have a site of my own, and have made most of my sales there. Then sales drop off after the initial month or two. Afterward, a new book will touch off new sales of itself, and other books by extension.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #27
Cautionary Tales
Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Cautionary Tales knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: None
I just published a book of five short funny poems on KDP, so far a few sales but nothing major the book is called Cautionary Tales of Unfortunate Animals.
I think one of the main success stories is "John Locke" Google him if you haven't already And like many people have said before me i think blogging is the most powerful tool when it comes to advertising ebooks.
Cautionary Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
REMINDER:

This thread (and Forum) is not the appropriate place for Self-Promotion. Any links to books will be summarily deleted. MobileRead has a place for promoting one's book(s), and that Forum is available to those members who decide to follow our Posting Guidelines.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #29
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
William Meikle mentioned in a G+ post that he'd sold about 20,000 books over the past 12 months on Kindle, 8000 sales alone for "The Invasion" at $2.99 - which I think is pretty credible.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #30
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Hi again, Julie:

Well, I didn't create my ebook on Amazon. I created it in Smashwords and they sent it to Amazon.
Sorry to go off topic, but did you perhaps mean KDP instead of Smashwords? If Smashwords and Amazon are finally working together that's great news.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote