Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The new Nook is better than the Kindle Fire, no doubt. But since when does "better" matter in the tablet space? There are plenty of superior tablets out there that don't sell well at all. "Better" only seems to matter when it comes to better marketing. So the Kindle Fire will outsell the new Nook many times over.
How do you know one device is better than the other if neither has been released yet? I assume you are just comparing hardware specs, right? I suspect the Kindle Fire will be the superior device because of its software: I think sofware is way more important than hardware when it comes to tablets and Amazon is and has always been a tech company and B&N not.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
How do you know one device is better than the other if neither has been released yet? I assume you are just comparing hardware specs, right? I suspect the Kindle Fire will be the superior device because of its software: I think sofware is way more important than hardware when it comes to tablets and Amazon is and has always been a tech company and B&N not.
CyanogenMod7. 'Nuff said.

Of course, for the masses who don't intend to root, the Kindle Fire is likely the better choice. And really, given the price point, the Kindle Fire is obviously targeting the masses.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another issue is that the Fire is not available to the overwhelming majority of people; it's currently only on sale in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Yep, I got my iPad when it was released.... I won't bother with the Fire, but I did order a Kindle Touch.
Ditto. Kindle for reading, iPad for everything else. The 7" screen of the Fire is just not that appealing to me for media consumption. I may reconsider if Amazon comes out with a tablet with a larger size screen.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Yes, I was talking hardware specs. As far as the software goes, give the hackers 3 months and you can run any Android software on either unit, and all special Nook and Kindle software will be available to everybody. And the Nook would be able to run that software better than the Kindle itself.

Of course, if it is just the "out-of-the-box-experience" the Kindle will be better. I consider that to be part of good marketing. Turning a cheaper device into a good enough device. Like taking a cheap car and, because of an advanced audio and GPS system, make people feel it is a superior car.

Still, a lot of people are turned off by the Kindle's low specs.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I don't get how someone could seriously compare 7" and 10" tablets.
For me it's a difference between "hardly usable" and "comfortable".

And, of course, I would rather look into Android camp, Galaxy Tab (best screen on the market according to tom's, Samsung does deserve some spanking for dropping sd card support though) or Sony's tablet S or upcoming Asus Prime with more powerful yet more efficient tegra 3.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I don't get how someone could seriously compare 7" and 10" tablets.
For me it's a difference between "hardly usable" and "comfortable".

And, of course, I would rather look into Android camp, Galaxy Tab (best screen on the market according to tom's, Samsung does deserve some spanking for dropping sd card support though) or Sony's tablet S or upcoming Asus Prime with more powerful yet more efficient tegra 3.
it is the future, no media that can be removed.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Still, a lot of people are turned off by the Kindle's low specs.
You mean here on MR? Or people in general?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You mean here on MR? Or people in general?
The only folks I know of who would care about the hardware specs are the techie people - which practically encompasses those writing articles on tech blogs and bemoaning the lack of an SD card slot in the forums (yes, MR is one of those forums). I think as long as Amazon has developed a good user experience, most end users wouldn't care.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I think as long as Amazon has developed a good user experience, most end users wouldn't care.
Yep. Hardware specs without user experience are pretty useless, imho.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Thinking of getting one but the 8GB internal memory and lack of microSD slot is rather off-putting. If I get one, I'll primarily be using it for reading Japanese comics and those tend to weigh in at around 50~100MB per volume. Since a single volume is usually only good for 15 minutes worth of reading, I need at least 16GB for a decent size selection of reading material. Alas, cloud storage is not the answer here due to bandwidth caps on cellular data and slow internet on most free, shared wi-fi hotspots.
All your requirements point pretty handily a Nook Tablet.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #27
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yep. Hardware specs without user experience are pretty useless, imho.
True, and yet you can go to nearly any page on MR and people are extolling the virtues of the Fire in exactly the same way, i.e. sans any actual experience. *shrug* To be fair, I suppose some of that could be referring to the Amazon eco-system but certainly not all of the fawning you see here. Double standards I guess.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
All your requirements point pretty handily a Nook Tablet.
Yeah. I've actually decided on that already. Who knows, though, I may buy both.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
5) NICE: the Nook Tablet is still bootable from SD. The rep said that while they think only 3% of sales of the NC go to people who want to root it, they are still sales they wouldnt otherwise have. And they aren't interested in removing the ability to root for those who want to do that. I was pleasantly surprised how ok they are with rooting. Plus, he said they have to keep the boot from SD option. When someone brings a messed up device into a B&N store, they can wipe the device clean and restore it to its original condition by booting the system from an SD card (by using the OS on the card to restore the system on the device).
Awesome. Looks like I'm buying this instead of the Fire.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #29
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Lack of SD card is a complete non event for me. I have a 32 gig ipad and in the past 4 months have used up almost 5 gigs of the space. I could likely clean it up and free up a gig or 2. The way I use a tablet just does not require much storage. I dont believe I am unique in this.

When I really need space no tablet with or without an SD slot will cut it I am afraid.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #30
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
The way I use a tablet just does not require much storage. I dont believe I am unique in this.
Exactly this. The only time my 32Gb iPad gets close to being full is when it's stocked up with movies to take on holiday with us. If the Kindle Fire ever comes to the UK I'd be very interested in it as I'd like a sensibly-priced 7" device to play with - but that doesn't mean I won't also pick up an iPad 3 whenever it comes out...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote