Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
donnieparker
donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
The case for nook color

Let me start off by saying that I am a B&N Bookseller with quite a bit of experience with the nook device.

Here are the reasons I believe the nook color rumor on CNET is true, and why I think the current models will be staying, well, current:

First of all, B&N has been slowly making modifications to the current nook's hardware over the past year:

- The current nooks we sell have visibly better contrast than our demo units (which are the original 1.0 machines)
- The current nooks are lighter than our demo units
- The current nooks have a new ambient light sensor just above the touchscreen
- The current nooks are MUCH faster than our demo units, and they're all running 1.4
- The current 3Gs use a different GSM dual-band radio
- The current nooks have stronger bezels (to eliminate the cracked button problem)

This is why I feel like the current CNET rumor is true. The nook you buy today is definitely better than the original models. With the 1.5 firmware, it's hard to argue that kindle 3 is that superior (aside from weight, which is def. a big win, and obviously battery life). With a color model at the top-end, we barely would even need to make a nook vs. kindle argument anymore. "Is Kindle 3 better than the original nook?" "Perhaps, but we have color."

So what does that mean?

I think B&N will keep the current models around (possibly with a price reduction), and will really set MAJOR focus on the color model. I only hope that it's not LCD. I'd pretty much freak out if it was mirasol, but I really doubt the tech is affordable enough (but really, who knows?).

Just some two cents from a nook seller. We'll get our answers next week!
donnieparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
thanks for the insight, I would throw up if they release an LCD screen, that wouldn't make any sense at all, let's see what it turns to be.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Two reasons why Kindle 3 is better than Nook:

1- battery life
2- black body
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
donnieparker
donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I'll definitely give you battery life, but without revealing any inside information, let me say that B&N has something coming up for people who don't like their white nooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

1- battery life
2- black body
donnieparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieparker View Post
I'll definitely give you battery life, but without revealing any inside information, let me say that B&N has something coming up for people who don't like their white nooks.
Sure hope so; because I hate white. I need my displays bordered in black. It's much easier on the eyes.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I just went to the Mirasol website and if the rumors are true and they do use this technology and it works well. then OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Boy I know what I want for Christmas.

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/mobil...mod-technology

and well Kindle, you had a nice run, LOL if you didn't look like Electronic Quaterback of the 80's before you sure do now.

but again this is all speculation. but if true, then this will really be something
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

1- battery life
2- black body
stop trolling and just buy a stupid kindle already, I know I speak for others.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
stop trolling and just buy a stupid kindle already, I know I speak for others.
Produce one with ePub support and I will.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
at 250 I don't imagine it's another dud like the Cruz reader (or the Pocketbook version of the same thing that's coming)

I hope they know the stakes are high on this and really hit it out of the park.

If it got a good screen and can handle PDFs in landscape, I'm getting it for Xmas too.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieparker View Post
Back in the 60's when color TVs were the new hot technology, you could buy a conversion kit to turn your B&W TV into a color set. The price was reasonable, and the kit was easy to use -- a paint brush and small can of paint.

I really don't see the color of the unit to be that much of a deal-killer unless you just want to troll all the threads whining about it, but hopefully B&N's solution is a bit more high tech.

eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I really don't see the color of the unit to be that much of a deal-killer unless you just want to troll all the threads whining about it, but hopefully B&N's solution is a bit more high tech.
Kindle, Kobo, and Sony all have black models.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Quote:

1- battery life
2- black body
and don't forget the Pearl e-ink screen which offers much better contrast than the Nook's older e-ink.

But let's hope the new nook is not LCD. Also, I hope they do without the current lower LCD screen (if the main screen is e-ink) since I find it more annoying than not. Most of the time I read books not browse for books.

Last edited by Bic; 10-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic View Post
and don't forget the Pearl e-ink screen which offers much better contrast than the Nook's older e-ink.

But let's hope the new nook is not LCD. Also, I hope they do without the current lower LCD screen (if the main screen is e-ink) since I find it more annoying than not. Most of the time I read books not browse for books.
Pearl is more energy efficient than standard eInk, which leads to longer battery life. Getting rid of the LCD display would also improve battery life.

If there is a color Nook, I hope it's not LCD too. It may as well be a tablet then.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
cypres@mugika:~$ whois nookcolor.com

Domain Name.......... nookcolor.com
Creation Date........ 2010-03-09
Registration Date.... 2010-03-09
Expiry Date.......... 2011-03-09
Organisation Name.... barnesandnoble.com llc
Organisation Address. 76th Ninth Avenue, 9th Floor
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. New York
Organisation Address. 10011
Organisation Address. NY
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
cypres@mugika:~$ whois nookcolor.com

Domain Name.......... nookcolor.com
Creation Date........ 2010-03-09
Registration Date.... 2010-03-09
Expiry Date.......... 2011-03-09
Organisation Name.... barnesandnoble.com llc
Organisation Address. 76th Ninth Avenue, 9th Floor
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. New York
Organisation Address. 10011
Organisation Address. NY
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
Good job!

I looked up the people listed in the registration. Paul Karatzas left B&N in February of 2009 and Mike Reilly is still listed as VP of IT as per their LinkedIn page.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote