Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever View Post
Hello

I allready made a thread a while ago with my concerns about privacy and things like that.

Read this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93706

Of course they track you, so they can send you more accurate adversment and use your data for all kind of things, like they allready do.

You can see for yourself, just go to www.amazon.com (or other amazon.xxx) and see what the screen looks like, isn't it exactly what you are looking for or really want to have?

There are some reports of people, who buyd some critical books about america from amazon and when they went to america for holiday, they couldn't pass the border and they where send back to their country without any serious explanations for them, just people like you and me, that never did any serious harm. But it is obvious they work with all kind of intelligence together.

Just think about that..

And you really feel save using their most sold e-reader device without any modifications?
If they know what you read, they know what you think..!
you really need to supply a link for that without it to be considered nothing but sailboat fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
While all that is very true, it is also true that America has become a much more restricted area after 9/11. Understandably so, but for those of us who are not Americans it becomes tedious to have our shoes checked every time we have to switch flights. Not even in the U.S.S.R. did I ever experience something like that.
e

getting on airplanes is a pain in the butt yeah. but we can still read what we like, when we like, where we like. and talk about it, piss moan and groan about it. that has not and will not chang
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Isn't there someone who wants to burn the Quaran?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Isn't there someone who wants to burn the Quaran?
hehe different forum
Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and talk about it, piss moan and groan about it. that has not and will not chang
Perhaps you should reflect this in your signature, and modify it so that freedom of speech is the second, third...okay, maybe the fourth thing to go? Unless something else comes after the third, in which case...

flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Perhaps you should reflect this in your signature, and modify it so that freedom of speech is the second, third...okay, maybe the fourth thing to go? Unless something else comes after the third, in which case...

This is a privately owned site......which means the owners have the right to dictate what is and is not said here.

KK was speaking of our rights as Americans, in general.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:

it's a loooong story....
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I think we're starting to get off the topic.

The concern here is whether or not there's a reasonable expectation of privacy for confidential documents I put on my Kindle. I'd like to know if there's a reasonable answer too.

It sounds like if you side-load it yourself it should be Okay. Amazon may be able to see what titles you have but can't access them unless you email them to Amazon in the first place.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Personally I wouldn't count on that. I would assume Amazon can access your Kindle if the Whispersync is on. It is not a secure system.

Whether or not they will do so ... I doubt it, but I assume the possibility remains.

If you are uncomfortable with that idea, then having a Kindle with a live connection to Amazon is not a good idea.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This is a privately owned site......which means the owners have the right to dictate what is and is not said here.

KK was speaking of our rights as Americans, in general.
I was being entirely unserious. I know firsthand you're capable of this too, so I'll assume you misunderstood my tone. No hard feelings.

Anyway from what I understand (I think from having read it in another thread here), if you side-load content, Amazon can only see the metadata -- maybe even only the filenames, really. Not that they're incapable of pulling the whole file to see what you've got, just that they're not operating that way at the moment. As much as people already have a privacy bee under their bonnet, I think they'd really be opening themselves up to heavy criticism/scrutiny if they started actually inspecting (or even indexing) private content.

I for one wouldn't mind being able to opt in to having my private content sent up to the cloud -- I mean, still as my own files -- so that I could keep my place across multiple Kindles.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was being entirely unserious. I know firsthand you're capable of this too, so I'll assume you misunderstood my tone. No hard feelings.

Anyway from what I understand (I think from having read it in another thread here), if you side-load content, Amazon can only see the metadata -- maybe even only the filenames, really. Not that they're incapable of pulling the whole file to see what you've got, just that they're not operating that way at the moment. As much as people already have a privacy bee under their bonnet, I think they'd really be opening themselves up to heavy criticism/scrutiny if they started actually inspecting (or even indexing) private content.

I for one wouldn't mind being able to opt in to having my private content sent up to the cloud -- I mean, still as my own files -- so that I could keep my place across multiple Kindles.
True. I think people fail to realize how vunerable they are just by being online, and posting in different places.

If you are on the grid......ANYTHING you do, anywhere you go online, anything your download is open to being seen by someone.......who wants to hard enough, whether it be the government, or a private citizen willing to pay the fees.

Amazon is the least of our worries.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Nuts! So consensus is to keep confidential documents off the Kindle or alternatively leave Wifi off, buy to the PC and side-load everything. Good to know.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
While all that is very true, it is also true that America has become a much more restricted area after 9/11. Understandably so, but for those of us who are not Americans it becomes tedious to have our shoes checked every time we have to switch flights. Not even in the U.S.S.R. did I ever experience something like that.
Well, I don't recall any U.S.S.R. planes being almost blown up by a shoe bomb.

It's annoying, but there is, you know, a pretty good reason for it these days.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

this may come as a complete shock I know, but the U.S.S.R. has been defunct for awhile
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Nuts! So consensus is to keep confidential documents off the Kindle or alternatively leave Wifi off, buy to the PC and side-load everything. Good to know.
exactly. If you are that paranoid about what Amazon
could do..........

Or, alternately, you could buy another brand.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

And the reason for that is

a) it never happened

b) they wouldn't tell you

c) lines for shoes were too long
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote