Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Asus T91MT as an ereader

I'm thinking about buying my wife this as an ereader now that the price has gone down. We want an LCD reader that does more than just book reading, but we still want something that is reasonable in size and weight.

Does anyone else use this primarily as an ereader? If so, how does the Kindle pc software and Barnes and Noble software run? We would like to be able to buy protected epub's and also check out ebooks at the library using adobe digital editions (our public library requires it). I hate being limited by supported formats and software, so a tablet that runs full Windows 7 seems ideal.

Also, it would be great to watch the occasional Netflix movie, or Hulu video!

Last edited by Noah98; 01-31-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
spakh
spakh began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader, t91mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I'm thinking about buying my wife this as an ereader now that the price has gone down. We want an LCD reader that does more than just book reading, but we still want something that is reasonable in size and weight.

Does anyone else use this primarily as an ereader? If so, how does the Kindle pc software and Barnes and Noble software run? We would like to be able to buy protected epub's and also check out ebooks at the library using adobe digital editions (our public library requires it). I hate being limited by supported formats and software, so a tablet that runs full Windows 7 seems ideal.

Also, it would be great to watch the occasional Netflix movie, or Hulu video!
I bought the t91mt mainly for reading and annotating pdf's, txt, chm, isilo's and other book reader formats. I've had the machine for three weeks and it really works great as a book reader. (and when you turn the display around, the keyboard works beautifully as a stand!) Since it is actually a tablet pc, it can do everything a tablet pc can do, serve the web, play music, play videos, youtubes, hulu, etc. However, because it is a PC, there are a lot of things that you may need to "tweak" before it can submit to all your desires! If you are just a casual book reader without much computing experience, you'll definitely scream for help when you first get the machine. I know the iPad just came out a few days ago, so it may be a good alternative to look into for a "pure" book reader. Good luck!
spakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the info. My wife is very computer savvy, and was quite disappointed by the ipad announcement (lacks way too many features).

Her t91mt should be here tomorrow!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
oCkz7bJ_
oCkz7bJ_ began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick > Amazon Kindle PW3
Keep us posted. I certainly would look into this unit if I wouldn't have bought an ASUS 1005ha netbook a couple of months ago.
oCkz7bJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by spakh View Post
I bought the t91mt mainly for reading and annotating pdf's, txt, chm, isilo's and other book reader formats. I've had the machine for three weeks and it really works great as a book reader. (and when you turn the display around, the keyboard works beautifully as a stand!) Since it is actually a tablet pc, it can do everything a tablet pc can do, serve the web, play music, play videos, youtubes, hulu, etc. However, because it is a PC, there are a lot of things that you may need to "tweak" before it can submit to all your desires! If you are just a casual book reader without much computing experience, you'll definitely scream for help when you first get the machine. I know the iPad just came out a few days ago, so it may be a good alternative to look into for a "pure" book reader. Good luck!
Can you advise as to what the best ereader software for a tablet is? Specifically, I am looking for programs that utilize the touchscreen or at the very least are touch friendly. My wife just got her T91mt a few days ago, and she loves it but has not found the right reader software yet. Any suggestions on programs (and how to set them up for the touch screen) would be greatly appreciated!
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Can you advise as to what the best ereader software for a tablet is? Specifically, I am looking for programs that utilize the touchscreen or at the very least are touch friendly.
You would not know it from Amazon's Kindle pages, but Kindle for PC was one of the applications featured at the Windows 7 introduction. See Kindle for the PC Announced – and it’s awesome!
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote