Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #1381
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
So, what is your favorite tablet right now? PS I, too, switched to the PW for reading at night and outside in the bright light.
Favorite tablet?
By far Microsoft Surface Pro.

I had been enthusiastic about iPad in 2010. And I bought iPads 1, 2 and 3 plus mini. In parallel, I bought quite a few Android tablets.
But when I'm honest to myself, all I did was fooling around. Stumbling (BTW: StumbleUpon is one of my favorite apps) around in iTunes and Google Play, permanently installing new apps (at one point, I had about 11.000 apps in iTunes). But rarely actually using any app.
Now, all has changed for me.
I have 2 absolute favorites:
a.) NVIDIA Shield for playing. A dream come true. I hate touch screens for games. For Sudoku it's fine. But from time to time I want to revive the classics like R-Type. Here NVIDIA Shield can't be beat.
b.) Microsoft Surface Pro (2) for the rest.
Instead of stumbling through iTunes or Google Play, I simply can install whatever program I like. And it performs great.
And the unit itself is great. Phantastic touch and feel.
I even tried BlueStacks (emulating Android) and it worked fine. So, should I really miss any app, I easily could use Android in parallel.
And: I love the stylus.
Steve Jobs was right: If you need a stylus for simple tasks like switching apps, the OS did fail.
But I frequently use Microsoft's OneNote. Not for handwriting recognition, but simply for jotting down notes.
I even made 2 presentations in OneNote. The audiences did love it. Totally new experience.

From the touch and feel, #2 would be Google Chromebook Pixel.
But I sold it a few weeks ago. Personally, I simply didn't find a reasonable usage pattern for the (great) touchscreen on a unit, that's basically a notebook.

So #2 actually is my Dell Latitude 10. Another Windows 8 tablet.
Extremely light. And the exchangeable battery is brilliant.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #1382
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But now they've kind of killed my beloved MacBook Air!
OS X Mavericks -to me- is a disaster:
I've upgraded a few days ago my Retina MacBook Pro to Mavericks and I regret it. My Pro was running perfectly smooth on Mountain Lion. Now, everything seems messed up. I no longer get notifications, and QuickTime Player constantly freezes when watching a movie. They've removed a lot of functional features in iWork, plus I'm not a fan of the new icons, especially Pages.

My MacBook Air is still running Lion and I definitely won't be upgrading it.

Also, I've just read that a lot of users are complaining about loss of data on their Western Digital external hard drives and that WD sent emails to customers warning them not to upgrade to Mavericks until they figure out what's causing this. I own two WD hard drives and it would seriously anger me if anything happens, so far I don't see any missing data.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #1383
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I'm buying ebooks since 2007 (Microsoft lit before since 2000).
I've got maybe 1.800 since 2007 in total. That's roughly € 18.000. In 7 years.
That's € 2.500 per year = € 200 per month. That's not "nothing".
But lots of people spend more on Restaurants. I spend maybe € 200 per months on Restaurants, and that's mostly business related (= taxable).
Meaning:
I spend a lot. Too much probably.
But if I compare to other hobbies, it's okay. Not modest probably, but okay.
Yet often, a lot of people who complain that they don't have money have two very expensive "hobbies". Smoking and drinking. A packet of 19 cigarettes here is €6. Some people smoke a package per day. That's 30x6 = €180 only on cigarettes per month.

Quote:
Favorite tablet?

I had been enthusiastic about iPad in 2010. And I bought iPads 1, 2 and 3 plus mini. In parallel, I bought quite a few Android tablets.
But when I'm honest to myself, all I did was fooling around. Stumbling (BTW: StumbleUpon is one of my favorite apps) around in iTunes and Google Play, permanently installing new apps (at one point, I had about 11.000 apps in iTunes). But rarely actually using any app.
Now, all has changed for me.
a.) NVIDIA Shield for playing. A dream come true. I hate touch screens for games. For Sudoku it's fine. But from time to time I want to revive the classics like R-Type. Here NVIDIA Shield can't be beat.
Instead of stumbling through iTunes or Google Play, I simply can install whatever program I like. And it performs great.
And the unit itself is great. Phantastic touch and feel.
I even tried BlueStacks (emulating Android) and it worked fine. So, should I really miss any app, I easily could use Android in parallel.
And: I love the stylus.
Steve Jobs was right: If you need a stylus for simple tasks like switching apps, the OS did fail.
But I frequently use Microsoft's OneNote. Not for handwriting recognition, but simply for jotting down notes.
I even made 2 presentations in OneNote. The audiences did love it. Totally new experience.

But I sold it a few weeks ago. Personally, I simply didn't find a reasonable usage pattern for the (great) touchscreen on a unit, that's basically a notebook.

And that's why I want a Win8 tablet. But as I don't want a 10" or larger, I had to wait. I should get one by the end of the year, or maybe at the start of the next (depending on when the 8"-ers finally arrive in the Dutch market....)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #1384
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Oh, come on, let us not talk about really 'expensive hobbies', like racehorses, auto racing or entertaining mistresses.

Having some dozens of tablets seems somehow reasonable compared to that...

Still, my wife somehow also does not understand that simple logic...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #1385
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
...And that's why I want a Win8 tablet. But as I don't want a 10" or larger, I had to wait. I should get one by the end of the year, or maybe at the start of the next (depending on when the 8"-ers finally arrive in the Dutch market....)
What don't you like about the 10" tablets? Size or weight?
About size you obviously can't do anything.
But re. weight, I'm again and again surprised, how light my Dell Latitude 10 is.
It's not as powerful as i5 units of course, but still surprisingly efficient.
I even could imagine myself, using it as a reader.

By coincidence, I bought a writing case in Amazon, that perfectly can contain my MacBook Air or my 10" tablets.
So I'm often not traveling with a suitcase, but only with that writing case.
Highly mobile...
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #1386
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wouldn't want a W8 tablet physically smaller than my Surface Pro; I think the screen would be too small to comfortably run most programs on, and you'd need to use an external keyboard which would be bigger than the device itself, which would be a nuisance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #1387
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
What don't you like about the 10" tablets? Size or weight?
About size you obviously can't do anything.
But re. weight, I'm again and again surprised, how light my Dell Latitude 10 is.
It's not as powerful as i5 units of course, but still surprisingly efficient.
I even could imagine myself, using it as a reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't want a W8 tablet physically smaller than my Surface Pro; I think the screen would be too small to comfortably run most programs on, and you'd need to use an external keyboard which would be bigger than the device itself, which would be a nuisance.
I think 10" is too large for my wants. 7" would be perfect, 8" would be fine too. And even on 10", I'd use an external keyboard (I even use an external keyboard on my laptop, which is 17" and that one has a full keyboard, including a separate numpad...)

I do have a few things a tablet would need, one of which is the ability to charge using micro-usb and a non-capacitive pen (i.e. a pen with an actual point...) In other words, I am looking for a comparable device to my HTC Flyer, except that it needs to run Windows instead of Android. It doesn't need to be ultra-powerful, I don't need it for my job (even 10" would be way too small for that, this 17" laptop I'm working on now is perfect...), but I want it for some light work, but mostly for reading and internet consuming. I could buy a decent Android tablet (I have looked at the Note 8, that one is the only one that has pen support), but after I got my Lumia 800 (recently replaced with a 920), I decided I prefer Windows over Android any day....

(I wouldn't discard a Windows RT tablet either, however, there are no 8" RT tablets available nor announced)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #1388
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Favorite tablet?
Just wondering if you still have the the new Nexus 7? Or did you sell it?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #1389
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Favorite tablet?

Thanks, I was looking at the Surface Pro 2 when my home computer crashed. So, the tablet is off the table until the new computer is set up. I really, really wanted a 3 in 1, but the market is just not there yet, maybe next year. I like lots of tech, too - not quite as many as you have, but a lot! So, a tablet is next on my list - maybe on black Friday... no, no, I must resist!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #1390
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
I've just finished the book "5 things you should learn before you die".
At least 3 of those 5 points prove our way of living. "Carpe Diem" and such...
But one of course never should forget, that we (most of us in this forum) belong to the lucky 10%.
That book sounds interesting. I looked for it on Amazon but it gave a negative search result. Is it a German book?
What are the 5 points?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1391
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Just wondering if you still have the the new Nexus 7? Or did you sell it?
Still have it.
Like the form factor.
But don't use it very often.
Most of it I can do on my Surface(s) Pro as well.
I really mainly use NVIDIA Shield and Surface Pro for the moment.
I rarely sell "old" gadgets.
Chromebook Pixel was one of the few exceptions. I found it too good to collect dust in my locker.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #1392
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
That book sounds interesting. I looked for it on Amazon but it gave a negative search result. Is it a German book?
What are the 5 points?
Sorry, my wrong.
It's "5 secrets" not "5 things": http://www.amazon.de/Five-Secrets-Mu...before+you+die

The 5 points?
Spoiler alert:
1.) Be true to yourself, don't live someone else's life.
(Do I follow my heart and such)
2.) Live so you don't regret a thing later on
(Live, like your life was a book and always follow the path that makes for the best story)
3.) Take love in your life
("Love" not just meaning a partnership, but in general a positive attitude towards others: Try to do good deeds every day, but never bad deeds for sure)
4.) Live in the "Now"
(Carpe Diem and such. Do not focus on the past or the future, you always only live in the moment)
5.) Give more than you take
(There are 10 minutes funerals and 10 hours ones. Don't cry about your own fate, but for the world's).
May all sound trivial. But I found it interesting, to see such things in writing and in details. You intuitively know most of it anyway, but it gets lost most of the time in your daily routines...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-07-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1393
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks, I was looking at the Surface Pro 2 when my home computer crashed. So, the tablet is off the table until the new computer is set up.
The Surface Pro 2 can drive a monitor. You can get the dock coming out for it or a simple USB 3 dock which can drive several monitors if you want. This can give you basically desktop/notebook/tablet. If I didn't need a bit more memory/power than the Surface Pro 2 provided I would go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think 10" is too large for my wants. 7" would be perfect, 8" would be fine too. And even on 10", I'd use an external keyboard (I even use an external keyboard on my laptop, which is 17" and that one has a full keyboard, including a separate numpad...)
There's been some good reviews on the Dell Venue 8 pro.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devic...dell-got-right

Not sure when it will hit the Dutch market though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1394
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I haven't seen the Dell Venue 8 yet.
But on the pics lot of it reminds of my Dell Latitude 10.
If that's an indicator, it's definitely an interesting unit.
My Dell Latitude 10 of course can't deliver the power of Surface Pro. But on the other hand it's extremely light and perfectly delivers what can be expected of it.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #1395
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Surface Pro 2 can drive a monitor. You can get the dock coming out for it or a simple USB 3 dock which can drive several monitors if you want. This can give you basically desktop/notebook/tablet. If I didn't need a bit more memory/power than the Surface Pro 2 provided I would go this route.

BOb
The price for the docking station for Surface Pro is out: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/de-...e#accessories4
€ 199. In the US, I guess it's $ 199 then (usually converts 1:1 $:€).

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test