Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #91
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It's not the period, it's the (over)exaggeration. I realise he was trying to make a point but I felt he overdid a lot of the time. There's one part, though, that was done to perfection - but I'm not sure if you're there yet...

I hate it when film and TV dramas "based on" period works decide to change some of the characters to make it more appealing to modern eyes.

absolutely positively I agree with you on this. Hollywood has always got to 'popcorn' it up.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #92
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Started it on the 5th. Had to get through the election exacitement.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #93
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chapeter 8, not really enthralling.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #94
Tattncat
Bookworm

I lived mostly with my Grandma -- same reading rules. Anything I could read was fair game. She started me out with the Harvard Classics. After reading the real fairy tales, reading was fun.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #95
Tattncat
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well! Looks like this will make for a well rounded group, with lots of differing opinions.

tattncat, don't keep us in suspense! what is your suggestion?
How about "Phantom of the Opera" ? Does it qualify as a classic?
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #96
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Chapeter 8, not really enthralling.

ahhh.......you might have wanted to say 'not really enthralling to me'

Personally, I am enjoying the voyage. Getting into the time period, customs, attitudes, etc.

Very glad I am living now. Here.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #97
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
How about "Phantom of the Opera" ? Does it qualify as a classic?
I would say it does.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I made it to chapter 10 last night. Then I had to switch to a Star Tre SCE story instead. One thing i think with a Passage to India is that it's one of those types of books that you have to concentrate on when it's read. I can read a Star trek book while I have to TV going. But APTI I have to do it in a quiet environment.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #99
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I made it to chapter 10 last night. Then I had to switch to a Star Tre SCE story instead. One thing i think with a Passage to India is that it's one of those types of books that you have to concentrate on when it's read. I can read a Star trek book while I have to TV going. But APTI I have to do it in a quiet environment.
But, isn't that what books are supposed to be? If you can read while listening to music, or the TV, I don't think the author has done his job.
I had to go into another room while reading "Passage". My husband kept wanting to talk about the frickin' college football game. Usually I can get away with an 'uh-huh" now and then.......
Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But, isn't that what books are supposed to be? If you can read while listening to music, or the TV, I don't think the author has done his job.
I generally can't read while doing something else... unless it is perhaps a magazine while maybe a football game is on or something. With Passage I find my self struggling to find the story in the awkward language and dialog. I shouldn't have to work to find the story in the words. At least that has been my reaction to this book so far. Top 100 All Time books... not on my list anyway.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #101
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I can read almost regardless of what is going on in the background - TV, radio (music or talk), music, people talking, doctor calling me in for an appointment, train leaving the station I should have got off at... I lose myself in books to the exclusion of just about everything else. If it's a good book (*), it's even worse.

(* Defined as one where I really really want to know what happens next, irregardless of actual writing quality)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I had to go into another room while reading "Passage". My husband kept wanting to talk about the frickin' college football game. Usually I can get away with an 'uh-huh" now and then.......
I can read most books while other things are going on. But because of this one being so dry, it needs more concentration to not just miss what's being read. Not all books that need more concentration are dry or dull.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #103
Tattncat
Bookworm

Quote:
ahhh.......you might have wanted to say 'not really enthralling to me'

Personally, I am enjoying the voyage. Getting into the time period, customs, attitudes, etc.

Very glad I am living now. Here.
Picky, picky. I have to admit by Chapter 18 it does seem to actually have a plot. I agree with the period bit, it is actually interesting.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #104
Tattncat
Bookworm

Quote:
I can read most books while other things are going on. But because of this one being so dry, it needs more concentration to not just miss what's being read. Not all books that need more concentration are dry or dull.
Absolutely! I find it rather hard to follow the conversations.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #105
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Is anyone who is reading A Passage to India enjoying it?
This book is really hard work! I may be dense, but it took me three trys at the first chapter before I started to get the hang of the book.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote