Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
jadeh
jadeh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help with ereader to buy

I want to buy an ereader in a couple of months.

Things that I am wanting are:
*pdf compatibility
*mp3 or similar
*touch screen
*removable storage
*wide range of compatible document formats
*e-ink
*ability to highlight/take notes

What would you suggest? I had my heart set on a Sony 650, but I just can't find one, and since I'm not looking at buying til the end of August... I can see it being more of a problem then.
jadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Have you take a look on the Pandigital? I agree, Sony basically provide most if not all of your requirements.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Besides the Sony 650 and 950, if you relax the MP3 player requirement and settle for somewhat weaker PDF support, you could add the Kobo Touch and Nook Touch as possibilities.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
jadeh
jadeh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Main issue is that I'll be mainly using the mp3 to listen to lectures for uni, and all my uni documents will be in pdf format. Though I guess I could look at a mp3 or somthing as an external unit for the lectures. Might need to look at the sony 350...
jadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Sony 350 doesn't do MP3.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
iRiver Story HD meets most of your points. Not sure how well it handles PDF, it has a 6" screen but a higher resolution than other devices of that size.
I'm probably getting one next week so could give a better answer then.
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No device with a 6" screen will handle PDF at all well. You really need to be looking at 9.7" screens if PDF is a priority for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
You could also hang on a month or 2 if you're buying later in the Summer anyway - Sony may well have new releases up their sleeve as older models seem to be being withdrawn.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... You really need to be looking at 9.7" screens if PDF is a priority for you.
I disagree. The 7" display on my Nook Color handles PDFs just fine.

In fact, to the OP: If you let go of your requirement for eInk (an issue only if you plan to read outdoors, and even then workable), the Nook Color meets your requirements quite nicely.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
I disagree. The 7" display on my Nook Color handles PDFs just fine.

In fact, to the OP: If you let go of your requirement for eInk (an issue only if you plan to read outdoors, and even then workable), the Nook Color meets your requirements quite nicely.
I think that what Harry is trying to say is that the screen is too small for most PDF documents. And I can confirm that. Even with some Sony models, landscape mode won't enlarge enough and yo need to keep zooming in and out which after a few minutes becomes annoying to say the least, affecting the overall reading experience .

The Nook Color is too small and out of the box, the default PDf reader is awful. It does not even remember last page read. That's so basic and missing? ...

If eink is not a must, any 10 inch tablet, let's say iPad with Goodreader app on it, handles PDFs better and faster, giving you capabilities and speed that no eink reader offers on the market right now.

But, if eink is so important, the Kindle DXG gives you a good balance between screen size and PDF features. Granted, the editing and PDF features are not as good as Sony, but it's 10 inches, you won't have to rely on zooming most of the times.

The stock Nook color is awful for PDFs. It does not remember last page read. That's so basic and it's absent from the stock NC.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-22-2011 at 01:44 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Take a look at the Pocketbook Pro 903...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I think that what Harry is trying to say is that the screen is too small for most PDF documents. And I can confirm that. Even with some Sony models, landscape mode won't enlarge enough and yo need to keep zooming in and out which after a few minutes becomes annoying to say the least, affecting the overall reading experience .

The Nook Color is too small and out of the box, the default PDf reader is awful. It does not even remember last page read. That's so basic and missing? ...

If eink is not a must, any 10 inch tablet, let's say iPad with Goodreader app on it, handles PDFs better and faster, giving you capabilities and speed that no eink reader offers on the market right now.

But, if eink is so important, the Kindle DXG gives you a good balance between screen size and PDF features. Granted, the editing and PDF features are not as good as Sony, but it's 10 inches, you won't have to rely on zooming most of the times.

The stock Nook color is awful for PDFs. It does not remember last page read. That's so basic and it's absent from the stock NC.

Yeah but the nook color does offer ezPDF app in the nook appstore

These are some of it's features.

Annotation features - Sticky Memo, Highlight, Underline, Strikethrough, Freehand Draw, Rectangle / Oval Shape Figure
* Play Embedded Video & Audio
* Text Reflow
* Text Select (Copy, Web Search)
* Auto Fit Zoom & Scroll Lock
* Hyperlinks
* Open standard Password-protected PDF (No DRM protected mode)