Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
new desktop, original kobo

I'm thinking it was a mistake to try out the new desktop with my original kobo. My kobo was working fine and I didn't use the desktop much so figured it wasn't too big a risk. First I had the issue with the desktop not launching. Today it did launch, so I thought great and sync'd my Kobo. After syncing though, I realized that books would not launch on my kobo device. After trying a few I found that only the preloaded books would launch. After trying a few other things such as uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop, and syncing again with no results, I did a factory reset on my Kobo device. I updated the device settings, date and time etc. then sync'd with only a couple of purchased books in my library. They showed up and would open - good. Then I added a couple of books with Calibre, and they now open - good. But then I realized that now when exiting a Calibre loaded book to the I'm Reading screen, it looks like only a Kobo sync'd book will show in the top Currently Reading row, not the actual last book I was reading. Ggrrr.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have the original Kobo with 1.4 installed and installed 1.71 on my Windows 7 64 computer. Syncing messed me up too: but it messed with an ePub I had loaded through ADE as well as through the Kobobooks store. When I deleted the epub from the device everything was fine.

I do wish there was some shortcut way to return a title to the library instead of hanging around the "I'm reading" section.

If Kobo doesn't work with Calibre, well, tough. I didn't buy it with the expectation it will be managed by another free program. I respect all the effort the Calibre folks have made, and the direct work Kobo folks have done with Calibre.

But my relationship with Kobo, and expectations of how it works, rest with Kobo. It does what I bought it to do and that's enough. No "grrrrrs" from me.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I'm thinking it was a mistake to try out the new desktop with my original kobo. My kobo was working fine and I didn't use the desktop much so figured it wasn't too big a risk. First I had the issue with the desktop not launching. Today it did launch, so I thought great and sync'd my Kobo. After syncing though, I realized that books would not launch on my kobo device. After trying a few I found that only the preloaded books would launch. After trying a few other things such as uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop, and syncing again with no results, I did a factory reset on my Kobo device. I updated the device settings, date and time etc. then sync'd with only a couple of purchased books in my library. They showed up and would open - good. Then I added a couple of books with Calibre, and they now open - good. But then I realized that now when exiting a Calibre loaded book to the I'm Reading screen, it looks like only a Kobo sync'd book will show in the top Currently Reading row, not the actual last book I was reading. Ggrrr.
Interesting. I can't say I've noticed the problems you're experiencing. But I have noticed that I can no longer hide the preloaded books on the Kobo since updating to 1.7.1.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Apparently it doesn't work to go back to desktop 1.4 even if I factory reset my device again, the 1.4 desktop still says it can't sync to my kobo so I'm stuck with 1.7.1
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
plaid
Connoisseur

I can live for now with not having the book I'm currently reading show at the top of the list, hopefully this is something they can fix when they do the kobo firmware update. If they can get the original kobo using the new kobo/epub format that includes images then I will make much more use of the kobo desktop.

Even though I've had some issues, I love my Kobo device and think Kobo is doing a great job with it!
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Plaid, did you check the time on your Kobo clock? If it was somehow reset (check timezone too) that might cause last-read book to be incorrect.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Upgraded my desktop last night, and sync'd up my original Kobo right after that.

No problems so far.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
plaid:
1.7.1 desktop did not install correctly on my win7 64 machine but fine on my Vista 64. The new desktop app totally messed up my original kobo ereader when I synced. Rebuilding the database using instructions on the 'sticky': sqlite database replacement instructions fixed up the problems I was having with my ebooks not opening. Now all is working well again on my ereader but still no 1.7.1 desktop app working on my win7 machine... I'm going to try installing the previous versing from the files on my ereader.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
Same problem here. Installing new desktop app on my Acer Aspire One netbook did not work. The system is WinXP Home Edition 2002 (SP 3) running on an Intel Atom N270 processor. Tried deleting the bad install and reinstall. No go. Tried downloading a fresh app file and re-install. Still no go. Also, trying to re-install the 1.4 desktop from the files included in my original Kobo did not work. I just keep getting the same error message when I try to launch the desktop "Kobo Desktop Edition has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Fortunately, I never got to the stage where the desktop would try to sync with my reader, so my ebooks are still intact.

Eagerly waiting for the fix, since I cannot add any books to my reader until then.

Last edited by michael_h; 10-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Unhappy Can't download from Calibre to Kobo!

I think this must be a repeat problem, but I downloaded a PDF book from Calibre to my KOBO and it went thru all the correct motions. It showed in Calibre that it was on KOBO, it showed in KOBO that it was there, but it wasn't on my KOBO reader anywhere.
Can anyone help me, please
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDowns View Post
I think this must be a repeat problem, but I downloaded a PDF book from Calibre to my KOBO and it went thru all the correct motions. It showed in Calibre that it was on KOBO, it showed in KOBO that it was there, but it wasn't on my KOBO reader anywhere.
Can anyone help me, please
If you're a new Kobo user, you may not know that PDFs show up under "Documents" and not books?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
michael_h

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
Tried deleting the bad install and reinstall. No go. Tried downloading a fresh app file and re-install. Still no go. Also, trying to re-install the 1.4 desktop from the files included in my original Kobo did not work. I just keep getting the same error message when I try to launch the desktop "Kobo Desktop Edition has encountered a problem and needs to close".
By following the suggestion in a different thread, I had removed the USB devices plugged into my netbook. However, I hadn't removed the SD card, so I did that. I also removed calibre, since I have never found it to be user friendly for my needs. Once I had done that, I was able to install the updated desktop without difficulty.

I do not know if the success was due to removing the SD card, or calibre, or both.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I expect due to removing the SD card
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
michael_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I expect due to removing the SD card
Yes it is the SD card. I have to keep ejecting it in order to have the desktop app load properly. Since the SD card is the expansion storage on my netbook, having to eject and then reinstall each time is a bother.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
First gen Kobo fresh out of the box. I had some sideloaded epubs. With the latest promotion I bought a book from kobobooks. I downloaded the 1.7.1 desktop app cleaned out my library (i.e. deleted everything from I'm reading except what I wanted to load on my Kobo) and then synced. Big mistake.

Three major problems now.

1) I can't hide my preloaded books. What is funny is that when I switch to show preloaded they are the only books that show but both "show all books" and "show my books" show everything.

2) My sideloaded books show up in the library but will not load.

3) and to add insult to injury the sync will not add the book I bought from Kobo onto my read.

Needless to say I am not very happy. I know how to rebuild the database from a time when I mucked it up but this time I didn't do anything strange or unusual. I bought a book and tried to sync.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 10-29-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: discovered the bricking never addd the book I bought
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote