Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not being a Mac user, I've no idea how much of an MTP interface this adds to OS/X.. http://www.android.com/filetransfer/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is based on libmtp, which is what calibre uses. Unfortunately, libmtp relies on libusb and libusb causes high cpu usage/lockups on some os x machines when scanning for connected devices. That is the reason mtp support in calibre is disabled on os x.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
AH.... Thanks...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
leeper
Enthusiast
leeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well adding MTP support to the OS X build is on my TODO list, however, it requires fixes to some underlying libraries, so it isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Its a pity that Apple provide on MTP support in their OS at all. They appear to think that if you use OS X, you would only want to use an iDevice.
Kovid, Thanks! I will stumble along using android file xfer or the content server of calibre. Just an FYI, the content server has proven to be amazingly useful for my extremely large extended family. I have convinced them, thanks to how easy you made the remote portion of Calibre, to download the program on their own home devices so they can back up their ebooks, manage their libraries, and keep their readers uncluttered. I spread the good word continuously about Calibre...

Last edited by leeper; 04-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
elizadoo
elizadoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
Similar problem with Nook HD and Windows XP--help

Just got a new Nook HD and my "old" desktop running WinXP is recognizing a Nook in the USB port, but that's it. Not seeing any available free space, saying all 16GB is used. Calibre doesn't even see my Nook as existing! When I change from MTP to PTP Windows doesn't see my Nook. So OI cahgne back to MTP and then the computer tells me it needs to upgrade to an OS X file to make my Nook work.

Anyone know what I can do with this?

EDITED: Nook Support supervisor says Win XP does not have necessary drivers to work with new HD Nooks. Therefore, I need to get new drivers, which are found by upgrading to Windows Media Player 11 or higher.

Last edited by elizadoo; 04-20-2013 at 09:44 PM.
elizadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizadoo View Post
Just got a new Nook HD and my "old" desktop running WinXP is recognizing a Nook in the USB port, but that's it. Not seeing any available free space, saying all 16GB is used. Calibre doesn't even see my Nook as existing! When I change from MTP to PTP Windows doesn't see my Nook. So OI cahgne back to MTP and then the computer tells me it needs to upgrade to an OS X file to make my Nook work.

Anyone know what I can do with this? Nook support is worthless.
MTP is not supported on XP

QT5 is not Quicktime (OSX file?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Nook HD+ not working with Calibre?

I'm trying to get my Nook to work with Calibre (Mac) and can't seem to get it working as the others on here. Has there been a resolution?

I'm using calibre 1.1
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx666 View Post
I'm trying to get my Nook to work with Calibre (Mac) and can't seem to get it working as the others on here. Has there been a resolution?

I'm using calibre 1.1
There is a (i believe unsolvable) problem in using the Nook HD+ over a USB cable directly with Calibre under MacOS in that it uses MTP protocol to connect over USB and MacOS does not have support for MTP devices.

A possible workaround might be to use a SD card to transfer books and use the Calibre "connect to Folder" or "Save to Disk " options.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is a (i believe unsolvable) problem in using the Nook HD+ over a USB cable directly with Calibre under MacOS in that it uses MTP protocol to connect over USB and MacOS does not have support for MTP devices.

A possible workaround might be to use a SD card to transfer books and use the Calibre "connect to Folder" or "Save to Disk " options.
Thanks. I used calibre to convert it to epub and then just transfered it directly to the Nook (copy and paste)... I didn't realize I was supposed to install software to get access to the Nook drive. It seemed to work ok.
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
katm91
katm91 began at the beginning.

Device: nook/ipad
I don't understand why Calibre won't recognize my nook. The computer is running vista, which according to the forum is the minimum requirement.
I ran the detection debug and got this
"calibre 1.7 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-Vista-6.0.6002-SP2 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'Vista', '6.0.6002')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('Vista', '6.0.6002', 'SP2', 'Multiprocessor Free')
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2936&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2938&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2935&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2934&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2939&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2937&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293a&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid293c&rev0003',
u'usb\\vid_04f2&pid_b070&rev_0834',
u'usb\\vid_04f2&pid_b070&rev_0834&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_0bda&pid_0158&rev_5887',
u'usb\\vid_2080&pid_0006&rev_0216']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 85, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
List of WPD PNP ids:
[u'\\\\?\\usb#vid_2080&pid_0006#3024930387794111#{6 ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}']
MTP device: \\?\usb#vid_2080&pid_0006#3024930387794111#{6ac278 78-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}
{'device_version': u'1.0',
'friendly_name': u'',
'has_bulk_properties': True,
'has_storage': True,
'manufacturer_name': u'BN LLC',
'model_name': u'MyNOOK',
'protocol': u'MTP: 1.00',
'serial_number': u'3024930387794111',
'storage': [],
'type': 'media player'}
Not a suitable MTP device, ignoring

No suitable MTP devices found

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None "
To me it looks like its reading that the nook is there but won't interact with it.

Help please!
I know that I have used Calibre on this nook before because I have several books on it.
katm91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reboot both your computer and your Nook.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote