Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #121
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
After using it for few hours I just miss two things:

- alt + g for refreshing screen is not working, it would be great to have a way of refreshing it because of the ghosting issue of every e-ink display if you don't refresh the whole screen. It would be even better if you could set a period of time with automatic refreshing.

- Better key bindings. To read books or websites its much useful to keep the page down and page up keys instead of TAB and SCAPE, also the directional pad its working right in portrait but not in landscape which is what we would use most.

Thanks again, and please don't stop inproving it!!..

Mm one last thing: is there anyway to switch easily from usbnetworking on to usbnetworking off withouth entering the full command (;debugON, ~usbNetworking, ;debugOff)
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #122
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
A hook for refreshing wouldn't be too hard to implement. I think I'll give it a go soon. Just a bit of C glue code for a Lua interface to the refresh ioctl. You could even do it in pure lua by using os.execute().

Modifying the key bindings is also not so hard to do - switching meanings of already implemented keys is very easy. Maybe you can do it yourself by looking in the config lua file, you find the names of the key symbols in the other lua files. For landscape mode, it should be easy to just compare values for width and height and depending on which is larger then send according keys (however, this easy approach would allow for _either_ landscape turned left _or_ turned right).

As for USB debug mode: I think launchpad can do this, but honestly I have mine switched to be USB networking only.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #123
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Looking forward for the refreshing screen implementation. Much better if you could set it to auto too!.

I have been able to change the key bindings, to me, in a kindle 3 keyboard it is perfect like this: (i only show the keys i've changed):

Quote:
elseif code == KEY_PGBCK then SendKeyEvent(XK_Page_Up, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_PGFWD then SendKeyEvent(XK_Page_Down, pressed)

-- the following two exist only on K3
elseif code == KEY_LPGBCK then SendKeyEvent(XK_Escape, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_LPGFWD then SendKeyEvent(XK_Tab, pressed)
--elseif code == KEY_MENU then SendKeyEvent(XK_, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_BACK then SendKeyEvent(XK_BackSpace, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_FW_LEFT then SendKeyEvent(XK_Up, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_FW_RIGHT then SendKeyEvent(XK_Down, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_FW_UP then SendKeyEvent(XK_Right, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_FW_DOWN then SendKeyEvent(XK_Left, pressed)

elseif code == KEY_FW_PRESS then SendKeyEvent(XK_Return, pressed)
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #124
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Many thanks for this truly promising work...
I used the instructions here to install it http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
Everything worked fine except that I had to change the command /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &
to /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1 &

As for the mouse problem, as an interim "solution" one can use (on a Mac) programs like "Highlighter" or "Mouselocator" etc. --there should be many for Windows...

Using a DXG, a wireless adapter would be great for this!..
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #125
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
I am planning to use the Rasberry pi as a development tool on the go, and I was hoping to use the kindle 3 as the screen. Using keyboard connecting to the raspberry py as well as mouse.

I just had some basic question: So the kindle can be connected trough USB instead of using wireless to connect to the vnc server right? If my keyboard is connected to the computer, and I access the vnc server I will be able to used the keyboard from connected to the server and not the kindle? (coding on the kindle would be harsh)

I'll experiment with that over the weekend, on a debian install at first and see where it goes, but that seems really promising for on the road dev, matching the power of the raspberry py to the beautifull screen of the kindle!

thanks
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #126
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, USB connection is possible. Not only that, it is also the most reliable connection. When you want to use a keyboard connected to the RasPi, I guess running a "normal" Xorg server, probably with a virtual framebuffer as output, and then x11vnc on top of that. That is because I have no quick idea on how to connect to a pure-VNC X server (such as Xvnc). Well, I actually do have an idea: Write a simple input-only vnc client that reads from Linux input devices. This would be simple, however, it doesn't exist yet. Except: The viewer featured by this thread could probably easily trimmed down to do exactly this when compiled for the RasPi.

Edit/Addendum: That would really make a funny duo. Hm, don't they both run a linux on ARM?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #127
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Yep, USB connection is possible. Not only that, it is also the most reliable connection. When you want to use a keyboard connected to the RasPi, I guess running a "normal" Xorg server, probably with a virtual framebuffer as output, and then x11vnc on top of that. That is because I have no quick idea on how to connect to a pure-VNC X server (such as Xvnc). Well, I actually do have an idea: Write a simple input-only vnc client that reads from Linux input devices. This would be simple, however, it doesn't exist yet. Except: The viewer featured by this thread could probably easily trimmed down to do exactly this when compiled for the RasPi.

Edit/Addendum: That would really make a funny duo. Hm, don't they both run a linux on ARM?
And knc1 is "fairly certain" that the 3G modem in the kindles has an OpenGL engine in it. OpenGL in the MODEM! -- How can we hack that?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #128
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle

Indeed a nice duo - will probably mount the rapsberry pi to the back of the kindle! I love the kindle screen and would probably love a 21 inch e-paper screen in my futur office

For the VNC - shouldn't I be able to use the keyboard anyhow - like a normal vnc connection - it doesn't 'lock' the server's mouse and keyboard input - but actually simply output the window. Indeed if it was just listening to the vnc video output it would be best.
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #129
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
I am planning to use the Rasberry pi as a development tool on the go, and I was hoping to use the kindle 3 as the screen. Using keyboard connecting to the raspberry py as well as mouse.
You might keep in mind that software for your K3 will run on the Raspberry Pi.
Both will run code compiled for the ARM v6l.
(aside from hardware dependent items)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #130
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And knc1 is "fairly certain" that the 3G modem in the kindles has an OpenGL engine in it. OpenGL in the MODEM! -- How can we hack that?
That QualCom SoC (the 3G 'Engine') has a lot of silicon real estate not used for the call processing (since the AnyData doesn't do voice).
Depending on the firmware loaded (I.E: Which manufacturer is using the QualCom chip) you can find all sorts of things.
Fax-Modem, HTTP server, e-mail server/client, just name it, somebody tried to cram it into the firmware.

AnyData is being very shy about releasing public documentation, but QualCom isn't - you can get everything __except__ the AnyData propriatary info.

I included links to those information resources in some of my earliest posts here - dig back a few months in the archives.

Note: I have three, 3G modems on hand (the Kindle 3g plus two others) - I may have gotten my specs confused - but I think the AnyData is one of the ones with an OpenGL engine in it.

If we can get that ARM SoC on the 3G modem to do something useful (its nearly a second processor system on the K3)....
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #131
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note: I have three, 3G modems on hand (the Kindle 3g plus two others) - I may have gotten my specs confused - but I think the AnyData is one of the ones with an OpenGL engine in it.

If we can get that ARM SoC on the 3G modem to do something useful (its nearly a second processor system on the K3)....
Dual-core apps?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #132
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
to turn on/off usb networking you need launchpad.

create file usbnetworking.ini in launchpad folder.

and write inside it:

[Actions]
;usbNetwork
N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork &

You can switch with SHIFT+N

If you made everything right, kindle says "Success!" at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by Rockets00; 05-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #133
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

King size mouse pointer for windows:
http://www.philip-henderson.co.uk/cursor.shtml
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #134
Rockets00
Connoisseur

How to quit? SHIFT+VQ doesn't work. I use killall kindlevncviewer over telnet. Is there some new keyboard shortcut or a way to disable keyboard input?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #135
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
to turn on/off usb networking you need launchpad.

create file usbnetworking.ini in launchpad folder.

and write inside it:

[Actions]
; run ssknap
N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork &

You can switch with SHIFT+N

If you made everything right, kindle says "Success!" at the bottom of the screen.
Thanks, I was looking for it!.

To quit I just have to press Home two times.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc