Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
questions about creating collections

I have been reading past threads to learn about Calibre and creating collections.

I didn't do that before I downloaded my books to my reader. I want to go back and do it later. Can I do so? Or do I need to reload the books? I am getting the idea (probably wrong) that it has to be performed before I send the books to my reader (Sony 900).

Another question. I have read the discussion about directories and such. What I am wanting to know is, can I create, with Calibre, this type of setup?

Murder Myteries
.......Agatha Christie
...........books
........Anne Perry
...........books

Classicals
Author
book
Author
book

Westerns
Aurthor
book (1)
book (2)
Aurthor
book

Romance
Paranormal
J.R. Ward
books
L. Leigh
books

Or even break it up more

Westerns
Pre-Civil War
Aurthor
book
Aruthor
book

Post Civil War
Aurthor
book

Native Americans
Author
books

Paranormal
.......Vampires
...........J.R. Ward
..............Black Dagger Brotherhood
.....................book (1)
.....................book (2)
.....................book (3)

.......Weres
............Lorie O'Clare
................books

.........Dragons
.............L. A. Aikens
.................Dragon Kin
......................book (1)
......................book (2)
.............Deborah Cooke
..................Dragonfire

Is that possible?
And also, could it be done with PDF's?
Psychology
(my thesis topic)

Research Topic: Deception in Research
.......Attitude
..........development
..........behaviors
.......Deception
..........history
..........ethics
..............college students
..............general public
..............faculty

Theory of Planned Behavior

Theory of Reasoned Action

Benefits of Deception in Research

Thanks for any help given.

Janette

Last edited by JLYates; 06-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think the main limit to collections is Sony. Sony does not have sub categories in collections AFAIK.
You can drag and drop books to collections with Sony reader software, not too sure about Calibre. There are often workarounds but some are pretty labour intensive
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are two questions here, yes?

The first: collections. You do not need to download books again to change collections for them. Plug in your 900, go to the device view, double-click on the collections column for the book you want to change, and enter the collections. To the best of my knowledge, collections cannot be hierarchical. NB: don't start doing this until you are running calibre 0.7.5 (due out in a day or so). There is a bug in 0.7.4 and earlier that sometimes causes the loss of all user-defined collections.

After having said the above, I find editing collections manually to be extremely tedious. Calibre will build collections from tags (and other standard fields). Collections from custom fields is on the todo list. In order to save myself the most amount of trouble, I have limited my tags column to values I want to be in collections, and created another custom tags-like field for all the rest of them. I build collections from tags and series. This way I can let calibre be completely in charge of my collections.

After 0.7.5 is released, check the FAQ about sony collections. It explains some pros and cons of various management schemes, and describes a new calibre preference that tells calibre whether or not it can manage collections.

The second: directories. Calibre is very flexible with directories. The problem is (yet again) that custom fields are not yet usable in the save path.

Calibre will build varying-depth directory hierarchies if the levels contain fields and no text. If after substitution a level is empty because all the variables in that level were empty, that level in the hierarchy won't be built. Thus, if you use a save template of (say) {publisher}/{author}/{title}, books that do not have a publisher filled in will not have that level in the folder hierarchy.

The major problem is that you must have fields to keep this data in. In your case, you want to have genre (or something like it) as a field by itself. The best way to do this would be to use a custom field for genre, but you can't do that yet. You can use one of the other fields (e.g., publisher or isbn), but of course that changes the field's meaning.

For example, if you decide you don't need publisher, then you could put genre in there. You would then use {publisher}/{author}/{title} as the same template. Since you are sending to a Sony, you don't need to worry about an author having identical titles; the sony driver puts a unique number at the end of the title.

Clear as mud, hmmm
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Thanks for the info.

I had downloaded the 7.4, so will definitely wait untill the 7.5 comes out to do anything.

I don't, at least at present, plan on using the Sony collections. From what I have read the Calibre is much, much better and so I prefer, uless I had no other choice, to stay with Calibre.

The publisher to me is not important, I would rather put genre in there so I can keep those separate. I read a wide variety of genres and a lot of series (my preference) although I do read some stand alone books, mainly classics and thrillers.

I will check out Calibre's homesite to see what I can learn there, and also check back here to get more insight into it.
Slowly I am learning how to do stuff.
Thanks again for the help.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote