Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quick way to forget library

Is there a quick way to have Calibre forget a number of libraries?

After moving my Calibre libraries to a new server, I need to have Calibre forget the ones pointed to in the old one.

Doing them one at a time involves a significant delay while Calibre thinks about the problem, then decides it cannot find them, and gives me the option to forget them.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Is there a quick way to have Calibre forget a number of libraries?

After moving my Calibre libraries to a new server, I need to have Calibre forget the ones pointed to in the old one.

Doing them one at a time involves a significant delay while Calibre thinks about the problem, then decides it cannot find them, and gives me the option to forget them.
This happens with the Delete (which is really a Forget as it does not remove the folder) on the Library Icon?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the remove library action int he popup menu that appears when you click the library button
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

I think that both, when looked at closely, are one and the same.

I did use the Remove Library function on the Calibre Library icon/button.

What happens is that, once the target library has been selected from the list, a dialogue box appears virtually immediately, with options to proceed or cancel. However, once the request to remove the library is confirmed, Calibre then spends just over a minute seemingly looking for the darn thing, with the hour glass spinning.

Because the libraries in question are on a server which is no longer connected, it never finds it, and eventually gives up trying, and goes ahead and removes it from Calibre anyway.

Removing a library which is accessible is virtually instantaneous. It is only in a case like mine, where it is not, that the long delay ensues. I had hoped that there might be an option to remove a library without the delay, but apparently not.

Pernaps, Kovid, you may wish to check whether that delay is actually serving a useful purpose.

In the scheme of things, I've probably spent more time typing this lengthy explanation, than it took me to remove my libraries at just over a minute each.

Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you sure the delay comes from calibre itself, and not from the underlying Windows networking environment attempting to access that unavailable location?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are you sure the delay comes from calibre itself, and not from the underlying Windows networking environment attempting to access that unavailable location?
Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not do any waiting at all. When you remove a library calibre checks if the libraries' folder exists and if so displays it, that check involves asking the OS if the folder exists, that is what does the waiting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

That makes sense, of course.

The discontinued server was a network node, so any references would have been across the network.

Thanks.