Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #226
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
So if I cook the figures in one particular way, I'm doing okay.
I cook my figures by not (usually) counting free ebooks. But I might decide to count the Andre Norton freebies, which would certainly put my TBR back about the total at the start of the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #227
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I felt that the distinction between free and not free was a bit arbitrary, given that most of my non-free books were bought because they were near enough free.

I bought two "meaningful" books from a charity shop today, one of which was an omnibus and therefore counts as four, so even my fiddled figures didn't last too long. On the plus side, I have more books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #228
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm ahead of myself right now, and if I keep up the pace I'll actually read more than 100 books this year - which will be an improvement over last year. I'm at 33 now. I've been reading a lot of series - one author had been leading to another.

My rule is that if it is a book or a novella or a collection of short stories, I will count it. I make no distinction between free and paid, paper or electronic, fiction or non-fiction when counting an item as being read. I just don't count a single short story as a book.

Last edited by Xanthe; 03-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #229
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The June Analog and Asimov's have just appeared on my iPhone, so that takes March's bought total up to 12! Rather ahead of target.

On the ply side, this means that April's bought total might stay at 5. It rather depends whether the July issues arrrive in April or May.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #230
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I was having a problem with counting pages that I've finally resolved.

Before, I had the Sony 950 which kept all page counts static, so it was easy to count them. Late last year, I switched to the iPad mini, which re-configures page counts based on text size. That's a dilemma when one is basing one's goal on page count.

Finally I've hit upon using a page count average from Goodreads from a few of the most popular editions of a book. I feel satisfied now that page counts for different books I read will not only be generally correct but also have an easy consistent methodology, even if in practice it means that a book that I thought was going to count as 500+ pages now will count for less than 350.

Since I'm doing a half-year challenge, this is the midway point for me. With the new methodology implemented, my page count total has taken a hit of a few hundred pages from what it would've been before, but either way I'm still behind a bit. The next three months will be interesting!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #231
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I was having a problem with counting pages that I've finally resolved.

Before, I had the Sony 950 which kept all page counts static, so it was easy to count them. Late last year, I switched to the iPad mini, which re-configures page counts based on text size. That's a dilemma when one is basing one's goal on page count.

Finally I've hit upon using a page count average from Goodreads from a few of the most popular editions of a book. I feel satisfied now that page counts for different books I read will not only be generally correct but also have an easy consistent methodology, even if in practice it means that a book that I thought was going to count as 500+ pages now will count for less than 350.

Since I'm doing a half-year challenge, this is the midway point for me. With the new methodology implemented, my page count total has taken a hit of a few hundred pages from what it would've been before, but either way I'm still behind a bit. The next three months will be interesting!
Random page numbering changes was why I decided to use the mass market paper back page count as my "standard". There is such a large difference in page number depending on how it is printed that I started using MMPBs. They are generally fairly close to the same word count/page so it feels a little more consistent to me. Also, since most of what I read prior to my Kindle was a MMPB, I have a better feel for what a "page" takes to read and use that count when available.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #232
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
That's all fine and nice dazrin but where do you get the information from. I find very little page counts with the electronic books I tend to buy.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #233
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
We are 25% through the year and 25% of my goal would be 37 books, and I'm at 33. I'm still confident that it will all work out in the end.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #234
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

One quarter of the way through the year, and in that quarter I bought 48 books out of my target of 120 for the year. That means I must buy no more than 8 (on average) in each of the remaining nine months.

And I've already bought 5 in April....

But I think I can make it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #235
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Well, first quarter is officially done and I've already spent 1/3 of the money budgeted for ebooks for 2013
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #236
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have no budget - I have lots of money, and can spend essentially however much I want on ebooks. However, as a matter of principle I try to restrain myself and only buy 4 ebooks a week, plus the monthly Baen Webscription for that month.

I'm so far on 30 books for the year (21 read casually, 9 proof-read for the MR library).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #237
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I seem to have almost quit reading - spring fever, no doubt, as well as anticipation of cataract surgery today.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #238
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I seem to have almost quit reading - spring fever, no doubt, as well as anticipation of cataract surgery today.
Good luck with the surgery!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #239
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have no budget - I have lots of money, and can spend essentially however much I want on ebooks. However, as a matter of principle I try to restrain myself and only buy 4 ebooks a week, plus the monthly Baen Webscription for that month.

I'm so far on 30 books for the year (21 read casually, 9 proof-read for the MR library).
I can go a whole month and buy only one book, and turn around and buy more than 10 books in a day. I need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Hope your surgery goes well
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #240
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've read 40 books this year, however, this includes one short story of 28 pages and twelve "episodes" of Yesterday's Gone, each between 72 and 143 pages long. I've read 10830 pages, this time last year I'd read 9550 pages, so I'm just over a 1000 pages ahead. For page count I use the number of pages listed on my Kindle (I convert all my ebooks in Calibre so, hopefully, the page count is reasonably consistent).

My classics challenge is on track and my 2-year challenge of reading a book for every year since I've been born is also on track.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote