Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #946
dmapr
Addict
dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.dmapr composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantoie View Post
Thanks for the replies about the Mark models, that helps clarify things.

Since I have an HD, and for some reason I'm still on 3.3.0 FW, I'm going to prepare a side-load upgrade to 3.5.0, bundling in the ssh server, the /etc/hosts overrides of google analytics, etc. All my hacks and tweaks got overwritten by the automatic upgrade to the previous version, so now I'm going to bundle my own and side-load it.

I'm surprised that people aren't bundling and providing a complete package for people that includes all the good hacks and tweaks (like cyanogenmod for android), it would make things easier for people if there was just one update you had to install, instead of having to trawl through mobile read to find all the things you can do.
I'm pretty sure people are not going to agree on what needs and doesn't need to be included. That's why the patcher has the ability to turn on/off certain patches. For example, I'm personally not at all interested in either the SSH server or GA overrides simply because I never turn on the networking. Somebody else may deem other goodies unnecessary and so on, not to mention legal aspects of repackaging Kobo's firmware which (unlike Android) is not open source (at least I don't believe it is).
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #947
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
currently the instructions are;
Installation Instructions for Direct Zip Files

Get a zip file.
Unzip the zip file.
If going to a previous version, you may want to do a Factory Reset.
Connect your device to the computer and select Connect on the device (if asked). Make sure that the Kobo Desktop is not running.
Copy the entire contents of the zip file to the .kobo directory on the device.
Disconnect the device.
The Touch will now install the new software.

Shouldn't it be;
Installation Instructions for Direct Zip Files

Get a zip file.
Unzip the zip file.
If going to a previous version, you may want to do a Factory Reset.
Connect your device to the computer and select Connect on the device (if asked). Make sure that the Kobo Desktop is not running.
Copy the entire contents of the unzipped directory to the .kobo directory on the device.
Disconnect the device.
The Touch will now install the new software.
I've changed the post with the firmware sideloading instructions (the third post of this thread).

I considered your changes, but decided to mostly keep the original wording. The original line says "Copy the entire contents of the zip file to the .kobo directory on the device." I consider this to be correct. I've added a second line to this item, though: "Do not copy the original zip file itself to the device." This should be sufficient to clarify things.

I especially didn't want to use the term 'unzipped directory' as it is entirely possible that the firmware is not unzipped to a new directory, thereby comingling the firmware files with other files. Also, on Windows, it is possible to access the contents of the zip file without unzipping it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #948
akorx
Zealot
akorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of lightakorx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Is there a page where we can post ideas for next firmwares ?

For example, I think the scroll for light is too difficult to set, it should be interesting to have a "-" and a "+" at each extremity of the bar to adjust the light one by one... it's not a big work for developers and a lot of people could be interested by this add. So where can I post this suggestion ?

Maybe some people have other ideas that could be quickly integrated in next firmwares if thoose new functions do not need too much development...

Last thing : Yoq and kevinshort have made a big work around the "night mode", why not integrate it into the firmware because it's THE basic function that a lot of people use (all the others marks/models proposed the function like amazon/kindle, etc)) ?

Last edited by akorx; Yesterday at 03:39 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #949
davidfor
Wizard
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
You mean like the sticky threads http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105210 and http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139965? Or do you mean an official Kobo place? If so, there doesn't seem to be one.
Quote:
For example, I think the scroll for light is too difficult to set, it should be interesting to have a "-" and a "+" at each extremity of the bar to adjust the light one by one... it's not a big work for developers and a lot of people could be interested by this add. So where can I post this suggestion ?

Maybe some people have other ideas that could be quickly integrated in next firmwares if thoose new functions do not need too much development...

Last thing : Yoq and kevinshort have made a big work around the "night mode", why not integrate it into the firmware because it's THE basic function that a lot of people use (all the others marks/models proposed the function like amazon/kindle, etc)) ?
For whatever reason, Kobo have not chosen to implement this. Hopefully that means they have done some research and found that it is not actually used by many people. Or that there is a technical reason that it is a bad idea. More likely is that they have a long list of things to implement and they don't see this as important as some of the others. Personally, I have no use for it and hope they spend time on things I want.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #950
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post

Oddly on my Aura HD, that functionality is already there. When I pop up the light control, if I touch the little light icon at the left end of the bar, the brightness drops, if I touch the large light icon at the right end, the brightness increases. Default is by 10% but one of the patches changes that value (default is by 1%). Of course, this misses the bleeping double 28% bug (brightness goes 27%-28%-28%-30%) which is a bug that is close to getting tenure.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote