Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #1261
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher’s Reddit AMA

Jim’s Reddit AMA was LIVE yesterday evening! Here's a link to the transcript.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #1262
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Mistake in Death Masks

I found a mistake in the last part of Death Masks that made me stop in my tracks. If you have not read it, you might not want to open it. I have not read past it, so try not to spoil my end of the story.

Spoiler:
In the duel, when the vampires attack, Harry puts up a defensive shield. He complains that It was difficult to do without my shield bracelet to focus it. But then eventually his shield fails and: My shield collapsed, overloaded, and the bracelet began burning my wrist. Did I miss something? The only other bracelet are the defence beads of Ortega.

Anybody care to explain? Or was it a proof-reading mistake?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #1263
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
You haven't got to the time travelling bit yet
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #1264
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
You haven't got to the time travelling bit yet
Ahh thank you. For a second I thought I go insane.

Edit: thank you for not spoiling the end of the story

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #1265
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Argh, why is waiting so annoying...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #1266
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc
I just bought the first four books in hard copy a day before I broke down and bought a Kobo Arc. I have a great love for books and resisted buying an e-reader thinking it might be the end of my expanding my library but the convenience of it won in the end. I have read all the forum rules pertaining to copyright etc. but still feel a bit confused as to what is allowed here concerning uploading, sharing, etc. Would someone mind taking the time to help me clarify as I really don't think we should have to buy the same book twice no matter what form it comes in but don't want to get banned for not understanding the rules here completely. I live in Canada, thank god, and some new copyright laws have been enacted that helps add to my confusion.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #1267
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool posting guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I just bought the first four books in hard copy a day before I broke down and bought a Kobo Arc. I have a great love for books and resisted buying an e-reader thinking it might be the end of my expanding my library but the convenience of it won in the end. I have read all the forum rules pertaining to copyright etc. but still feel a bit confused as to what is allowed here concerning uploading, sharing, etc. Would someone mind taking the time to help me clarify as I really don't think we should have to buy the same book twice no matter what form it comes in but don't want to get banned for not understanding the rules here completely. I live in Canada, thank god, and some new copyright laws have been enacted that helps add to my confusion.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
Read here.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #1268
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
...I have read all the forum rules pertaining to copyright etc. but still feel a bit confused as to what is allowed here concerning uploading, sharing, etc. ...

Thanks in advance,
Ken
Is quoting oneself considered rude?
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #1269
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
No, as long as its being done to add information, or as a followup, and not just to be repetitive.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #1270
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Alan's link should already tell you anything there is to know, especially this:
Quote:
This means that we will not allow posting of instructions showing someone how to break the law, requests for such instructions, nor uploads or links to items that have the sole purpose of breaking the law.

EBooks uploaded to this site must be legally uploaded under Canadian law, as the server is hosted in Canada.
Which means the only books that can be found here are either Public Domain, released under Creative Commons licenses that explicitly allow sharing or are uploaded either by the author/copyright holder themselves or with their permission.

Also whether we agree with "I really don't think we should have to buy the same book twice no matter what form it comes in" (which I kind of do by the way) we are not allowed to discuss any ways of obtaining copyrighted material that are not legal under Canadian law. Which as far as I know means we could only advice you to either scan (and ocr and proofread) the books yourself or send them to some company (like 1dollarscan) to do that for you should you want to read them on your reader without buying them again.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #1271
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The legal way is always the best. You can scan, borrow from the library in may cases etc.

Asking for /taking the same book twice because you want it in ebook format is the same as asking for a free paperback when you bought a hard cover because it is lighter and easier to carry.

Or asking for a laptop because you already owned the desktop version, and/or going to a store/restaurant and asking for french fries because you had already bought a potato.

Maybe life should work like that, but generally it doesn't.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #1272
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Ghost Story monologue

Quoted from youtube.com

Quote:

Uploaded by Priscilla Spencer on Nov 27, 2011

A snippet from Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story," done in monologue form for an application. Once the one-minute required monologue was recorded, I turned around and recorded the full scene I wanted to depict, albeit cutting and tweaking a few lines to make the monologue treatment smoother. I am as hopeless an overachiever as I am a nerd.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #1273
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds like the show "Supernatural" where there is always something new within the genre of supernatural entities of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
After reading the first 2 books, I find that I really like the "endless possibilities" feeling of the series, you're never sure just waht kind of supernatural being is going to pop up next. I mean who knew there were multiple flavors of werewolves!?!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #1274
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Cold Days not in pre order status no more on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090U...sr=8-2&pi=SL75
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1275
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Guess what was waiting for me on my Kindle this AM!

Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy