Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
DXG page turn slow down significantly?

I have been playing with 3.2.1 and Duokan on DXG 2.5.8. Mostly went well, still working on it.

But I felt the device seems slow down significantly. I thought earlier the flash on page turn was apparent but relatively quick. Now it takes more like a full second, going dark then come back. I have tried to restore 2.5.8 OS, reset factory default, re-apply 3.2.1, reset factory default again. Still felt the page turn is much slower now than before.

Am I just imagine it? How long is a typical DXG page turn?

Thanks
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
DXG 2.5.8, with jailbreak and Droid fonts, from the time I click the Right> until it is done with the flash and draw, about a full second...

My DX is even slower than the DXG. My Kindle Keyboard 3G is a lot faster than the DXG.

From my own personal subjective experience, I have made the following observations:
1) The eInk speed seems to be temperature sensitive, and feels like it is faster when warm.
2) When cold, the eInk seems to be slower and to have more ghosting.
3) It seems that not using it for awhile has the same effect as when it is cold.
4) Using it seems to improve the display speed and display quality (perhaps by warming the display, and "unsticking" particles of zinc oxide from the bead surfaces).

These observations could be because every pixel in the eInk display actually contains moving particles (zinc oxide suspended in black oil, as I understand it). Oil viscosity is probably temperature sensitive and would affect display behavior.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe it's because I was playing with Duokan for the past few hours, full page refresh every 88 page turns I almost sure it's faster than K4 I saw in store, will double check tomorrow.

Hope someone can give me a hint on the launchpad thing so I can have 3.2.1 and Duokan side by side.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
whoever
Enthusiast

All set, but now it seems even slower with two OS

Last edited by whoever; 12-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
whoever
Enthusiast

Just came back from store. Duokan is definitely more advanced. The K4 quick page turn is equivalent to Duokan's "normal" page turn, which works on PDFs too. While its own "Instant" page turn is just incredible.

These guys are going to make a killing selling it back to Amazon.

BTW, someone here mentioned some Duokan script still running even when you boot into Kindle OS, and he said it's not too difficult to get rid of them. I couldn't find that particular post again, not enough keywords to narrow it down and every thread has like 50 pages. Thanks

Last edited by whoever; 12-04-2011 at 04:39 PM.