Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
0plus1
0plus1 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm about to click on the buy now button for the kindle2

Dear MobileRead,

i've been lurking your forums for some time now, I currently live in Italy and after a throught research I've come to the conclusion that the Kindle 2 has the best quality/price (note that after import taxes, shipping, the cheapest one costs 299Euros, while the Kindle 2 260Euros).

I only have a couple of questions that I hope you may answer. I will mainly use it to read pdf that comes from college and books I already bought. I understand that pdf I quite messy pretty much everywhere and with the kindle must be converted. But what about the final result, I would use mainly "clean" pdf as in pdfs with selectable typography. Will the text be resizable after conversion? What about the images?

Also, will the kindle2 be able to read mangas (as in jpeg mangas)? Can you convert a bunch of images to the proprietary kindle format?

0plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
0plus1

I just tried converting with mobireader a pdf file and the result is a badly formatted horror. Must it be like this or there are better converters?

Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If your main use is going to be reading complex PDFs, you don't want a Kindle 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0plus1 View Post
Dear MobileRead,

i've been lurking your forums for some time now, I currently live in Italy and after a throught research I've come to the conclusion that the Kindle 2 has the best quality/price (note that after import taxes, shipping, the cheapest one costs 299Euros, while the Kindle 2 260Euros).

I only have a couple of questions that I hope you may answer. I will mainly use it to read pdf that comes from college and books I already bought. I understand that pdf I quite messy pretty much everywhere and with the kindle must be converted. But what about the final result, I would use mainly "clean" pdf as in pdfs with selectable typography. Will the text be resizable after conversion? What about the images?

Also, will the kindle2 be able to read mangas (as in jpeg mangas)? Can you convert a bunch of images to the proprietary kindle format?

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Mobipocket Creator usually delivers quite good results. You don't say anything about what kind of source material you have tried, so it's difficult to come up with even a guess whether it should work or not.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
0plus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If your main use is going to be reading complex PDFs, you don't want a Kindle 2.
What do I need then?

Quote:
Mobipocket Creator usually delivers quite good results. You don't say anything about what kind of source material you have tried, so it's difficult to come up with even a guess whether it should work or not.
An objective-c ebook, when converted to mobi all the code losed all the correct indentation, plus all the pages would look.. let's say strange, as in lines with 4 characters and other glitches.
This happened with four different books (all programming related)
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
PDF tech books like programming reference books and such, usually have a far too complex layout for converting from PDF. You could also try an OCR program such as ABBYY , but still I'm afraid you won't get a satisfactory result.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I don't think you will be happy reading the results of a converted PDF. I had high hopes for it but in the end I'm glad I've bought a bigger screen device (not that it's perfect for PDFs by the way, still a long way to go), for the same reason as yours (programming books).
After all, we can't reall expect a complex PDF to be converted to an HTML limited based format and still retain that complex layout. Now I convert only the simple PDF files, containing mostly text and sometimes images, and in this case it is OK.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0plus1 View Post
What do I need then?
A device which natively supports PDF. ie, pretty much anything EXCEPT the Kindle.

Be warned, though; most PDFs are formatted for fairly large page sizes, and will not look good on a small screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
0plus1

I settled for the sony prs505, found refurbished for 200 Euros!
Thank you, you really made me dodge a bullet :-)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
good choice!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote