Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
etienne
etienne began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Reading / handwriting on a PDF

Hello,

I am pondering getting an Edge. My hope is that I could use it to read, on the eInk screen, and hand-annotate some PDFs, preferably in landscape mode (I tipically read two-column articles). But from this (and other) forums and from the website of Entourage, it seems I would have problems.

Question 1: Does the Edge really not rotate PDFs to landscape orientation on the eInk screen? As a workaround, has anyone tried to rotate (i.e. modify) the PDF itself and open the resulting wide-but-not-high PDF (which should then be readable when I rotate the Edge 90degrees, resulting in what looks like landscape mode).

Question 2: When exporting handwritten annotations to PDF, is the resulting file always a pixmap-based PDF, i.e. not searchable? In comparison, the Sony readers don't export to PDF: the PDF is left untouched and there are some XML and SVG files that describe the handwriting. In theory, one could merge the PDF and SVG into one PDF from the command-line (I use mostly Linux). Could anyone tell me how the handwritten annotations are represented on the Edge?

Cheers,

Etienne
etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Hi Entienne;

Much more information is available on the forums at the Entourage Edge site.

(1)I know that the Edge currently does not have a landscape mode on the e-ink side. (2) Someone on the Edge forums has written a .NET program that can translate the Edge scribbles into a OneNote page. That's about all I know.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
tjdean is right, the Entourage Edge forums do have a lot about this topic.

1. Someone just posted about a pdf editing tool that allows the pdf to be rotated 90 degrees at the source. Then, it can be viewed in landscape mode, not because the edge supports landscape but because the original pdf has been changed to landscape. The poster also commented that functions like highlighting text still work in this situation.

2. The pdf is simply a graphic form (ie not searchable) however lots of people have posted workarounds to this such as using a tool to convert your Journal notes into something that can be read by Evernote, for example. I don't know specifically if anyone has talked about making the annotations on a text-based pdf searchable, but there are things like table of content entries that can be generated by highlighting text. So some people will highlight text where they want to make an annotation, thereby creating some meta data in the pdf that there is something at that spot. You can then edit the table of content entry to include the keywords you'd probably expect to search for to find that note.

Lots more at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
etienne

Thanks Td, thanks Sarah, I just joined the entourage (slightly broken, but no adds) forum and saw the post.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Hi, Etienne. The new Android 2.2 upgrade for Entourage Edge and Pocket Edge (called Ermine 0.9, which is a beta just released) allows rotation in the Reader side.
Have a fine day.
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
etienne

Hi Paula,

thanks for pointing this feature out to me. That decided me to try the beta. Indeed, it rotates the e-reader. I would have preferred if it rotated counter-clockwise :-(. The update seems to work well otherwise.

Thanks again,

Etienne
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
STL Droid
STL Droid began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Just a slightly off-topic note. I loaded DioPen last night onto my Ermine equipped PE.
Handwriting recognition in all LCD side applications! It really works. Not for the eInk side, but boy it's a lot nicer to take notes printing rather than typing.

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...open-iDip.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm1eFRfBojY

Works very well with English.
STL Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
janhall_us
Enthusiast
janhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle2, Pocket eDGe, (full-size) eDGe, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Droid View Post
Just a slightly off-topic note. I loaded DioPen last night onto my Ermine equipped PE
Did you find DioPen slowed down your PE? Mine got so slow I had to uninstall DioPen and then the PC reverted to normal. DioPen does do an amazing job at handwriting recognition though.
janhall_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
turntherage
turntherage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhall_us View Post
Did you find DioPen slowed down your PE? Mine got so slow I had to uninstall DioPen and then the PC reverted to normal. DioPen does do an amazing job at handwriting recognition though.
Same issue here with the speed although the functionality has led me to push through and not take it off. I wonder if this is a general problem. Hopefully a fix is on the horizon, because this kind oif change in speed really effects the timeliness of the email marketing campaigns which I have been considering. Have you guys heard of exacttarget?

Last edited by turntherage; 07-27-2011 at 11:00 AM.
turntherage is offline   Reply With Quote