Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Poor Caecilia
She had her day.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to delete or hide unwanted fonts, that are the hack revealed?
Example: MYing Hei T, MYing Hei S, Song T, Song S, etc.
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
How to delete or hide unwanted fonts, that are the hack revealed?
Example: MYing Hei T, MYing Hei S, Song T, Song S, etc.
Only works with jailbreak, check here.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Could someone confirm if USE_ALT_FONTS works on kpw 5.3.3. Thanks.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
Could someone confirm if USE_ALT_FONTS works on kpw 5.3.3. Thanks.
Yes it works. If you had it working on 5.3.1, then updating to 5.3.3 will change nothing - still working. If you have a fresh 5.3.3 install, you can install USE_ALT_FONTS and it will work.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i'm on 5.4.4 and my fonts no longer show. did 5.4.4 do away with the USE_ALT_FONTS way of adding fonts (without jailbreaking)?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i'm on 5.4.4 and my fonts no longer show. did 5.4.4 do away with the USE_ALT_FONTS way of adding fonts (without jailbreaking)?
One thing you should know about Amazon Kindle firmware, do not install a new version unless you've seen it reviewed that your mods/hacks/whatever doesn't break or there is a workaround to get back what broke.

My suggestion is to have a look in the developer section on how to go back to an earlier firmware version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing you should know about Amazon Kindle firmware, do not install a new version unless you've seen it reviewed that your mods/hacks/whatever doesn't break or there is a workaround to get back what broke.

My suggestion is to have a look in the developer section on how to go back to an earlier firmware version.
thanks. but i didn't jailbreak my paperwhite because the USE_ALT_FONTS method allowed the use of additional fonts without jailbreaking. since it was a kindle feature (albeit hidden), i did not think that amazon would giveth and then taketh away.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
thanks. but i didn't jailbreak my paperwhite because the USE_ALT_FONTS method allowed the use of additional fonts without jailbreaking. since it was a kindle feature (albeit hidden), i did not think that amazon would giveth and then taketh away.
Any feature that is hidden like that can be taken away at any time by Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it can be reflashed without jailbreaking back to the previous firmware. The only time I remember jailbreaking was needed was when the PW2 came out and they had to make a special rom to go back one version that shouldn't be the case with the PW1.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 AM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think it can be reflashed without jailbreaking back to the previous firmware. The only time I remember jailbreaking was needed was when the PW2 came out and they had to make a special rom to go back one version that shouldn't be the case with the PW1.
Nope. Two different problems.

The 5.4.0 firmware (first firmware for PW2) never had an update.bin so it could only be restored by hacking and reflashing the partitions from diags mode.

The newest firmwares for PW1/2 have a check to prevent using an update.bin for an old firmware, even if it is an Amazon-signed firmware. A jailbreak-enabled update_oldupdate.bin lets you circumvent the check while still safely using the properly signed update that allows the firwmware to update itself. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61#post2850261
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay you don't need to be jail broken but you do need some special files from that thread. Good to know I will grab it just in case. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay you don't need to be jail broken but you do need some special files from that thread. Good to know I will grab it just in case. Thanks.
Technically, ameho's hack uses the jailbreak mechanism, but doesn't save the MR developer certificates for later use.

dsmid's hack assumes you have already jailbroken and saved those certs, so it skips that step. (And allows you to downgrade with 2 files instead of 3.)

It can't hurt to install the jailbreak, there's lots of nice functionality there. But you don't have to.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-29-2014 at 10:15 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Technically, ameho's hack uses the jailbreak mechanism, but doesn't save the MR developer certificates for later use.

dsmid's hack assumes you have already jailbroken and saved those certs, so it skips that step. (And allows you to downgrade with 2 files instead of 3.)

It can't hurt to install the jailbreak, there's lots of nice functionality there. But you don't have to.
I would use ameho's it seems to be the safest and easiest. I don't jailbreak my devices. I did my one K4 once but then uninstall it.