Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #46
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Eddings was a favourite author when I was much younger.

The belgariad and it's prequels are still readable. The Mallorian was more than annoying as it's so repetative of the Belgariad.

Roa is just plain awful.

Last edited by Riocaz; 11-19-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #47
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
if writers really knew the meaning of their words they'd teach

most teachers can't write so they're safe
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 AM   #48
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
if writers really knew the meaning of their words they'd teach

most teachers can't write so they're safe
Well you know that saying "Those that can't..."
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #49
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I only wish I was able to find the first three books of the Belgariad series in electronic format. Oddly enough books 4 and 5 are available as mobipocket, books 1-3 I cannot find. Even more confusing I find the fact that Randomhouse (who sell the complete series as paperback), has books 4 and 5 available as one ebook, but not books 1-3.

If anybody can push me into the right direction; maybe I just missed some ebook sller that has books 1-3
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, that's all that's available right now. According to Fictionwise, the first 3 books are due to be released as eBooks in the new year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #51
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's all that's available right now. According to Fictionwise, the first 3 books are due to be released as eBooks in the new year.
Thanks for the info HarryT
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What does vice charge in the following sentence mean?

From my records, it seems Mr. X is being held on a putative Y County vice charge.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #53
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post

From my records, it seems Mr. X is being held on a putative Y County vice charge.
It is ambiguous.
It also seems that Y County is only putatively a county: maybe it is only a village with pretensions.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #54
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post

Mr X is being held on a morals* charge that was alleged to have occurred in Y county.

*Gambling, drugs, prostitution, molestation, etc.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #55
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #56
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Actually, this sentence makes very little sense.
The word 'putative' has no clear scope to operate, leaving a meaningless sentence.

It cannot refer to the county: either Y is a county or it is not - there's nothing putative about its status.
And either actual criminal charges have been pressed or they have not. It makes no sense to speak of a putative charge.
Presumably the author intended to convey the idea of an alleged offence but has managed to get his grammar and his ideas confused.
Would you mind saying where the sentence is from? I would like to use it to illustrate a lecture on scope ambiguity and lexical ambiguity.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert

It is the same Black Man/Thirteen book.

The original looks like that (I hope it not a crime to type 2 sentences from a book here ):
Quote:
"From my records, it seems Mr. Marsalis is being held on a putative Dade County vice charge. And hasn't even been formally arraigned yet."
I was curious what does vice charge mean. Is it a legal term or has any other meaning. I mean what type of charges is vice charges. I think, Mogui interpreted it correctly.

I think in this contest putative refers to vice charges. However, your explanation about why it cannot refer to county is very interesting (Mine is intuitive, yours is sort of professional analysis). Although, Dade County doesn't exist as far as I understand so it could be that Mr. M is being held on imagined moral charges pressed on him by equally imagined county.

Last edited by astra; 11-27-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #58
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
There is a Dade county, just south of Broward county Ft. Lauderdale. I think Miami could be in Dade county. I lived there in another life.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #59
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
There is a Dade county, just south of Broward county Ft. Lauderdale. I think Miami could be in Dade county. I lived there in another life.
I wish I didn't say it!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #60
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
The term "vice" is used frequently on US TV, where big city police departments have departments dedicated to the eradication of vice. Since two correspondents above are from the UK, it would seem the term "vice" is not a part of their culture. True?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote