Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #76
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Since I couldn't make heads or tails of the settings concerning the footer style in the patch I just left them alone. That removed the footer for me.
Thanks. I'm going to start anew.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #77
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
A new version of the match is available here: http://rghost.ru/48372497

The most notable change (for 2.8.1) is "fix for the incorrect page breaks with long paragraphs". I won't get to try it out till tomorrow, but figured I'd post anyway

There's also "fine tuning of top/bottom margins".
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #78
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post

The most notable change (for 2.8.1) is "fix for the incorrect page breaks with long paragraphs". I won't get to try it out till tomorrow, but figured I'd post anyway

I won't be able to try this for a few days myself either due to vacation, but I'd be very interested in hearing if it fixes the long paragraph bug!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #79
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post

!!!! I just tried it (the first method, that's the default in the .conf) on 2.8.1, and opened 5 different books and flipped through ~20 pages each and didn't see the bug! Also I hadn't tried this in a couple of releases, and now the footer at the bottom with the page counter can be completely hidden.

If I could just get a physical button to switch pages, the Aura HD would be bar none, on every dimension I care about the best eInk device around.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #80
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
OK can someone tell me with the new version, how to change the settings for the footer margin other than leaving it at default values? The only numbers I can change are the last two in the list regarding font size. If I change any other number it won't work.

I have a Glo and actually like the page numbers at the bottom, I just don't want such a large space taken up by them. However the default value leaves page x of x a little too close to the bottom for my taste. I would like to move it up a little.

I have commented out the line below "# Disable footer example" and uncommented the line below "# Decrease footer example"

Last edited by Danger; 08-25-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #81
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
OK can someone tell me with the new version, how to change the settings for the footer margin other than leaving it at default values? The only numbers I can change are the last two in the list regarding font size. If I change any other number it won't work.

I have a Glo and actually like the page numbers at the bottom, I just don't want such a large space taken up by them. However the default value leaves page x of x a little too close to the bottom for my taste. I would like to move it up a little.

I have commented out the line below "# Disable footer example" and uncommented the line below "# Decrease footer example"
I've just started playing with this patch on my Aura and it seems the only changes that I needed was, as you did, to comment out the first section and enable the second section. After doing this, the values that I need to play with for the page numbers and margin size are the last two values where I reduced the 30px to 25px and 25px to 20px to slightly reduce the margin and page number font size.

`* {\n\theight: 25px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n`

I'm not sure what the effects on a Glo will be since I'm using MZ's patcher with an Aura but given the Glo has a lower screen resolution, you could try reducing the height: 30px to height: 21px and the font-size: 25px to font-size: 18px or about .7 of the original value to match the 1024/1440 screen resolution ratio. If you want a larger margin/page numbers you can try playing with those two numbers.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-26-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Edit: changes due to actually testing the patch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #82
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The way I've always interpreted the settings (but no I have not tried it myself) is that the replace_xxxx keyword takes 3 values
  • offset
  • old value
  • new value
So I read it as follows

At offset 1205FF4 replace the compressed data
Code:
ReadingFooter {
   min-height: 70px;
   max-height: 70px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
   min-height: 82px;
   max-height: 82px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
   min-height: 120px;
   max-height: 120px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 20;
}

* {
   font-size: 16px;
}

[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
   font-size: 20px;
}

[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
   font-size: 26px;
}

[localeName="ja_JP"] {
   font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}
by the data
Code:
* {
   height: 5px;
   font-size: 1px;
   color: transparent;
}
The VERY big difference is that the original CSS contained different sections for different devices; the new CSS applies to ALL devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The way I've always interpreted the settings (but no I have not tried it myself) is that the replace_xxxx keyword takes 3 values
  • offset
  • old value
  • new value
So I read it as follows

At offset 1205FF4 replace the compressed data
Code:
ReadingFooter {
   min-height: 70px;
   max-height: 70px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 40;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
   min-height: 82px;
   max-height: 82px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 110;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
   min-height: 120px;
   max-height: 120px;
   qproperty-footerMargin: 20;
}

* {
   font-size: 16px;
}

[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
   font-size: 20px;
}

[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
   font-size: 26px;
}

[localeName="ja_JP"] {
   font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;
}
by the data
Code:
* {
   height: 5px;
   font-size: 1px;
   color: transparent;
}
The VERY big difference is that the original CSS contained different sections for different devices; the new CSS applies to ALL devices.
That's how I read it for the remove section. If you comment out the remove section and uncomment the modify section, it would appear the wildcard code would read:

* {
height: 30px;
font-size: 25px;
}

I ended up using 25px and 20px for myself.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-26-2013 at 12:10 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #84
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So in effect he is totally removing the CSS for ReadingFooter then?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #85
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Wow, it really seems the long paragraph bug has been fixed with this patch. This is utterly brilliant!! Thanks to metazoa!!!

On a slightly different note: So that guy went and replaced literally a couple of bytes to fix that longstanding, much-complained-about and super-annoying bug. Makes Kobo look just a tiny little bit pathetic, doesn't it?

Anyway, the patched Aura is really close to perfect now...

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 08-26-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: corrected typo
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Wow, it really seems the long paragraph book has been fixed with this patch. This is utterly brilliant!! Thanks to metazoa!!!

On a slightly different note: So that guy went and replaced literally a couple of bytes to fix that longstanding, much-complained-about and super-annoying bug. Makes Kobo look just a tiny little bit pathetic, doesn't it?

Anyway, the patched Aura is really close to perfect now...
I can't see anything in the patches that would affect the long paragraph bug. Try increasing the font size to see if the problem comes back.

Edit: Whoops, just realised I hadn't downloaded the latest version. I'll have to look at that.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-26-2013 at 01:50 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #87
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I just tried out a few books with very long paragraphs in which I always got the bug, no matter what font-size: Gone!

doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #88
spruitje
spruitje doesn't litterspruitje doesn't litter

Device: kobos, kindles
The change described as "Fix page breaks bug" apparently doesn't just fix the long paragraph bug. As far as I can determine it completely disables intelligent paragraph break handling. After applying the patch all pages are completely filled out, having the same effect as setting widows and orphans to 0 in CSS, even in books with (the default) higher settings.

Actually I like that, because I had been adding explicit widows and orphans settings to all recent books, which will not be necessary after this. But people who like some control over widows and orphans, or even the default settings, might reconsider or do some more experiments first.
spruitje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #89
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Margins fine tuning`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 848E86, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 848E88, 1A 46, 00 22
# Values for replace
# Left margin
replace_int = 848E86, 0, 10
# Top margin
replace_int = 848E88, 0, 10
</Patch>
Margins fine tuning seems to have no effects on the Kobo Touch. Or I did something wrong. At least I didn't notice any differences when I had modified the red marked values above (replace "10" for 00,01, or 20).
Who can shine some light on it?
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #90
spruitje
spruitje doesn't litterspruitje doesn't litter

Device: kobos, kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Margins fine tuning seems to have no effects on the Kobo Touch. Or I did something wrong. At least I didn't notice any differences when I had modified the red marked values above (replace "10" for 00,01, or 20).
Who can shine some light on it?
It worked when I tried to adjust the left margin only on my N905B Touch. Values starting from 848E86 were 0A 21 00 22. I haven't tried adjusting the top margin.
spruitje is offline   Reply With Quote