Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
control key ext keyboard

I would like to use the control key on an external usb keyboard. It does not seem to work in terminal emulator, where I need it. What does work is using the control key on the hackers keyboard or using volume down as a control key (it is just not very convenient). Also there is a special version of connectbot for instance for which ctrl on the external keyboard does work. My question here is if somebody knows whether one can get this to work on the edge by changing for instance the keyboard layout file as described in some other thread (using the keytest app) or in some other way ?
Cheers, F
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
Unfortunately, I only have an unhelpful answer. I have also tried mapping the control key but, so far, have had no success. Similarly, I can't seem to get the shift lock key to work correctly.

The rest of the common keys (including home, backspace, menu and back) all map without issue.

However, this may be an issue with the keyboard I'm using. Have you tried mapping the keys to the "CTRL_LEFT" or "CTRL_RIGHT" android constants in your keylayout?
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Hi solarbanjo,

I just realized that the original detailed instructions on what to do are from you, thanks a lot for that! The keytest app gave keycode 0 and scancode 29 for the left control key, so I added key 29 CTRL_LEFT at the top of the qwerty.kl file. The result was that the external keyboard stopped working altogether.

Any suggestions on what else to try ?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
In my experience, a total stoppage of the keyboard after changing mappings was caused by accidentally using the same scancode twice. I'd check carefully through the rest of the file and make sure 29 (or any other scancode for that matter) isn't also mapped to something else. If any code is used more than once, the external keyboard simply will stop working until you fix the file.

Beyond that, I haven't had success with getting the control key to work. We may both just be missing something simple. A more definitive source is
http://www.kandroid.org/online-pdk/g...ard_input.html
It gets into the kcm files as well as modifiers for the control key. I haven't experimented enough to see what might work for our little device.

Good luck! If I do get something working I'll let you know.
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote