Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Battery Saver and Screen Dimmer Apps?

can anyone recommend a good battery saver and screen dimmer app?

MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post

I've tried several and what I ended up doing is just using the power management widget (stock Android) on my main screen and just turning off wifi, GPS, dimming etc myself when not needed. Most of the apps are made for phones and I found it somewhat annoying when their "auto" functions did something to interfere with my current use of my tablet. Note to myself... KISS... In trying to use the apps I ended up wasting a lot of time with not better results. My opinion only of course! Some will certainly disagree...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post

Juice defender is pretty good. Has plenty of options, but some of them are available only on the paid version.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I use the juice defender with wifi. Very outstanding.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
For screen dimming, try RootDim or ScreenDim. They actually allow you to dim the screen below the minimum brightness level. Very useful for reading in dark rooms.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Thanks for all the replies.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used Autostarts (needs root; I actually built it myself from the free GPL source and didn't buy it) to disable all sorts of processes that were starting on boot and on other occasions. I don't know if it helped with battery life, but it might have.

I also ran a script to kill Google Maps' Latitude background tracking process. See the last script in my post here. (And for more advanced users, and perhaps not on all devices, one can run my Google Maps network fix wakelock killer. See my post.)

Another thing I do is to use my PerApp to set a max CPU speed for games which don't need much CPU speed (this function of PerApp needs root). Games tend to need mainly GPU speed, and so on devices with good GPUs, you may be able to limit CPU speed without noticeable of performance, but presumably saving some battery life. The savings will be modest, since if the system thinks the CPU is being underused, it will slow it down anyway.

If you have a rooted Galaxy S2/S3/Note/7.7, you can use my Galactic Night to turn off some of the display colors and save battery this way.

Last edited by pruss; 09-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote