Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #24106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Grave Secrets", by Kathy Reichs. This is the 5th book in the Temperance Brennan series about a forensic anthropologist; in this book she travels to Guatamala to join a team excavating the mass graves of people killed in the civil war in the 1980s, but many people there would rather that past events were not uncovered. Excellent book, as always for this series. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #24107
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
Just starting to read:

Evolving Ourselves: How Unnatural Selection and Nonrandom Mutation Are Changing Life on Earth - Juan Enriquez & Steve Gullans

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights? - Alex Hutchinson

Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears - William Hertling

Just finished:

The Fold - Peter Clines

Last edited by bopfan; 05-26-2016 at 04:27 PM.
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #24108
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfan View Post
Just starting to read:

Evolving Ourselves: How Unnatural Selection and Nonrandom Mutation Are Changing Life on Earth - Juan Enriquez & Steve Gullans

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights? - Alex Hutchinson

Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears - William Hertling

Just finished:

The Fold - Peter Clines
Interesting reading list. How was The Fold?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #24109
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
RE: The Fold by Cline

OK, c'mon we are not talking about high quality literature here. OTOH it was nice escapist scifi. The writing was decent; certainly head and shoulders above .... oh say a Dan Brown. I would prefer to hear fingernails on a chalkboard than have to read Brown's dialogue.

The ending of The Fold was a bit of let down but conclusions are harder to write than intros! And of course the door was left open for a sequel or two.

The central character has an interesting cognitive attribute. Nothing supernatural; but Cline does a nice job of creating a 'visual image' of that character's capability. I found that characters mental ability to be more interesting than the story itself. I wish Cline would have fleshed it out a bit more. For example an author like Stephen King would have taken the character and built an entire story, albeit much darker, around those abilities.

I am being a bit circumspect; I don't want to give much away in case you chose to read The Fold. Have you read anything else by that author?
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #24110
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Yes I have, petty recently in fact, as an audiobook. 14 was a rather fascinating tale, although a bit longer than it had to be, IMO. Nate was beginning to wonder if his new apartment was all it was cracked up to be. For one thing, it had roaches. And they glowed in the dark. And that was perhaps the least strange thing about the building. Yes, Cline's a pretty interesting writer. 14 won Audible's 2012 award for best science fiction novel.

I noticed you had a science selection in that batch, also. In the MobileRead Book Club, science is this month's category. No later than sometime after midnight I'll be posting the poll for June. At the moment, there's still time to get in one last selection under the wire for consideration.

If you're interested, go to www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread?t=274329.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-26-2016 at 08:38 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #24111
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up, The D.A. Holds a Candle, second book of the series.

Finished The D.A. Holds a Candle, the second book in the Doug Selby Series by Erle Stanley Gardner. A complex murder mystery with a good story. What is particularly disappointing me is that, the D.A., Doug Selby is still working like a sleuth in the field and not as an attorney solving the case with arguments and cross examinations in the courtroom. So far, no courtroom drama or fireworks have been seen in the series, which are much expected from the creator of Perry Mason. Well, still seven books to go, let's hope for a better scenario later.

Next up in the line, The D.A. Draws a Circle, third one in the series.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #24112
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: The Postman by David Brin; I need to check off "something written in your home state" from the Something for Everyone challenge and this has been on my to be read list for a long time. I know a little about the plot but have not seen the movie, so hopefully this will be good.
As Hampshire Nanny said, excellent book. I will need to watch the movie at some point, if only to be able to say "the book is better."

Next up, since I enjoyed that one so much, is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Might as well get some more end-of-the-world reading done while I wait for some lighter books to come in at the library. I don't expect this one to be as hopeful as the last one but it should be interesting at least.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #24113
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just started The Deaths of Tao by Wes Chu. Second in the Tao series about millenia-old alien entities that use human minds as hosts and control them in fighting a global, secret war.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #24114
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading The Spanish Bride by Georgette Heyer. One of her historical novels, it's set in the latter part of the Peninsular war, just a little later than where I've got to in the Sharpe novels!
Which was good fun, although I prefer her more fictional stuff.

Next up: A recent purchase, Last First Snow by Max Gladstone. Splendid stuff.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #24115
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just started The Deaths of Tao by Wes Chu. Second in the Tao series about millenia-old alien entities that use human minds as hosts and control them in fighting a global, secret war.
How did you find The lives of tao?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #24116
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
How did you find The lives of tao?
I wasn't blown away, but the mix of humor and action (not to mention the premise) kept me turning pages. "Quirky" goes a long way with me, and Chu scratches that itch. His Time Salvager series (the first book, anyway) was much the same way: slow in parts, but it also had some of the best action sequences I've read. So I find myself anxiously awaiting the second installment.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #24117
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wasn't blown away, but the mix of humor and action (not to mention the premise) kept me turning pages. "Quirky" goes a long way with me, and Chu scratches that itch. His Time Salvager series (the first book, anyway) was much the same way: slow in parts, but it also had some of the best action sequences I've read. So I find myself anxiously awaiting the second installment.
Just started listening and I get the quirky part. Reminds me of Nights Dawn series by Peter H Hamiltonian.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #24118
Chaiwala
Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Just finished "Rising Action" by Babaoye which was kind of nuts. Moving on to "Terms of Enlistment" by Kloos which is really good so far and "Frequency" by Wells. Added "Lives of Tao" from this thread because it sounds awesome.
Chaiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #24119
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Possibly my favorite read of this month was Kate Williams' Becoming Queen Victoria: The Tragic Death of Princess Charlotte and the Unexpected Rise of Britain's Greatest Monarch. As the subtitle indicates, it's really about the 40-odd year period of these two royals' childhood and early adulthood, and the political maneuvering around the throne. Princess Charlotte died in childbirth, setting off an "heirstakes" among her uncles that resulted in Victoria becoming the new heiress. I knew of the heirstakes but enjoyed new-to-me details.

I also read an enjoyable SF anthology, Temporally Out of Order, edited by Joshua Palmatier & Patricia Bray. The premise is in the title, objects that are displaced or interacting abnormally with time. Not all of the stories are great ones, but I felt this made a good theme. Even middling stories often had an concept worth some thought. The last anthology I read with a "sticky" theme for me was Machine of Death.

Finally, I'll mention a freebie: while I wasn't blown out of the water by Annie Bellet's Justice Calling, the first of her Twenty-Sided Sorceress series, I liked it enough to keep further installments on my reading radar. The series is somewhere on the urban fantasy / paranormal fringe - there's a likely love interest, but that isn't a focus of the book. The book was a freebie last year, and so it may be on others' electronic bookshelves.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #24120
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up, since I enjoyed that one so much, is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Might as well get some more end-of-the-world reading done while I wait for some lighter books to come in at the library. I don't expect this one to be as hopeful as the last one but it should be interesting at least.
The Road was good. I guess. A little too bleak for me, even for a post-apocalyptic book, I tend to prefer a little hope in things.

Next up: The Water Room by Christopher Fowler, Bryant and May book 2.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote