Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Angry NEW? Sony Reader Program - ?????

Just downloaded the new & latest Sony Reader library program last night. I'm not pleased - is anyone else having my problem or have a comment?

When I first upgraded to the first 3.XXX sony library version, it used to automatically open up when I bought an ePub or PDF from a non Sony vendor and download the book into the library.

I just got those two freebies from kobo.com mentioned here, and had to "save" the URL file. Then a window opened, and I had to tell my computer what windows program to use to download the file to (clicked on Reader Library). What up with that?!?!?!

Why do they have to fix something that's not broken????
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wasn't there a checkbox on that dialog that said "don't prompt me again" or "always do this" or something like that"?

BOb

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wasn't there a checkbox on that dialog that said "don't prompt me again" or "always do this" or something like that"?

BOb

When I asked to download the ePub file, computer asks if I want to "save" it or "open" usually - both options are available then.

Today after the new reader library download, it asked if I wanted to "FIND" (find program) or "save" it. So I said "save" file, then it gave me the "open" option. When I hit the "open" option, the window opens up and says it doesn't know what program to use to open the file. I was asked if I wanted Windows to find the program, or a user option one. I had to hit "user" option, then when the "tree" pops up hit the Reader Library.

Last edited by bookratt; 12-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
As soon as I installed their new reader program and connected my PRS-700 all my collections disappeared. :-P

I promptly uninstalled the program, deleted everything off my reader with Calibre and put it all back again. Collections reappeared.

It's disgraceful that Sony forces you to use their buggy crap software to buy books from their store. I refuse to have it on my computer, so will never be buying books from them. Their loss I suppose. I have a $25 giftcard to the store that I got when I bought my reader and it's going to wind up unused.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
When I asked to download the ePub file, computer asks if I want to "save" it or "open" usually - both options are available then.

Today after the new reader library download, it asked if I wanted to "FIND" (find program) or "save" it. So I said "save" file, then it gave me the "open" option. When I hit the "open" option, the window opens up and says it doesn't know what program to use to open the file. I was asked if I wanted Windows to find the program, or a user option one. I had to hit "user" option, then when the "tree" pops up hit the Reader Library.
When you installed it did you allow it to associate epub files with the software?

It sounds like you only need to set up an association for the file... making sure it has the correct mime type. I'm surprised the installer didn't do this for you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I upgraded to Reader Library, I did get an option to have it associate with ePub and I chose not to as I want ADE associated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
As soon as I installed their new reader program and connected my PRS-700 all my collections disappeared. :-P

I promptly uninstalled the program, deleted everything off my reader with Calibre and put it all back again. Collections reappeared.

It's disgraceful that Sony forces you to use their buggy crap software to buy books from their store. I refuse to have it on my computer, so will never be buying books from them. Their loss I suppose. I have a $25 giftcard to the store that I got when I bought my reader and it's going to wind up unused.

-Marcy
When you disconnected the 700, did you eject it from Reader Library first? If not, it's possible it was not done with the computer. I did lose all my collections once on my 505 when I disconnected it from the USB before it was done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
bookratt
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
When you installed it did you allow it to associate epub files with the software?

It sounds like you only need to set up an association for the file... making sure it has the correct mime type. I'm surprised the installer didn't do this for you.

BOb
I went into the Reader Library, and tried out different buttons.

Under "Edit", I had the option "Preferences".

Under Preferences, "Check for EPUB file type association" was unchecked, so I checked the box & saved.

I'll see if that fixes my problem.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
bookratt
Wizard

An update: YES! By checking that box to "check for ePub file type association" fixed my problem. I did a test download on a free book on kobo.com, and it worked fine. It went straight into my reader library.

Thanks again PilotBob!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I "updated" mine (MAC version) and it promptly asked me to re-register my Sony. Of course as soon as I try that, the Sony website tells me I have already got my device registered, The reader software however seems to insist I haven't. I could of course un-register my reader and re-register it again, but honestly,

It's easier just to not use it. download the book, use ADE and Calibre.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That's weird, I'm also on a Mac and it worked just fine.

OSX 10.5.8 and PRS505
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote