Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
lawnsong
lawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipselawnsong can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo touch
Kobo or Kindle??

I've had a Kobo Touch for a year and a half. I am starting to have reset issues and think it's time to buy a new e reader. I'm looking at the Kobo Aura. I like Kobo because many of the British publications come out sooner on Kobo than Kindle. I'd like to hear back to get thoughts from other people.
lawnsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If you like kobo, why are you even considering a kindle? Get a kobo glo or aura. They are a lot more customizable.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If you like kobo, why are you even considering a kindle? Get a kobo glo or aura. They are a lot more customizable.
Maybe because it may last longer than a year and a half before it starts having issues?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Kobo or Kindle?

I would opt for some sort of tablet device that allows you to have various reader apps. (I use and enjoy both. I buy books from Kobo and Sony and Amazon, and I borrow library books from libraries that don't offer formats for Kindles, so I do think I have a lot of options.)

Last edited by 49Kat; 08-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsong View Post
I've had a Kobo Touch for a year and a half. I am starting to have reset issues and think it's time to buy a new e reader. I'm looking at the Kobo Aura. I like Kobo because many of the British publications come out sooner on Kobo than Kindle. I'd like to hear back to get thoughts from other people.
Really ? I've found that books get released at the same time on both stores in the UK. If you are happy with the kobo then maybe you should get another kobo.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you are buying now, just get the Aura, you are already used to the Kobo set-up and unless you have issues with Kobo, why wouldn't you buy the newest ereader with the best lighted screen?

However, if you are content to wait and see what the next few months brings, you could see if the new Sony is worth considering or if Amazon come out with a newer version of the Paperwhite, and see how they measure up against the Aura.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Kobo or Kindle? I would opt for some sort of tablet device that allows you to have various reader apps. (I use and enjoy both. I buy books from Kobo and Sony and Amazon, and I borrow library books from libraries that don't offer formats for Kindles, so I do think I have a lot of options.)
Tablets have back-lit LCD displays, which is hugely different from unlit or front-lit e-ink device. I wouldn't recommend a tablet as a primary reading device, though not everyone gets eye strain from reading on LCD displays. (I've done so for years, but an e-ink display for reading is like sitting down on a fluffy pillow after you spent the past five decades on a hardwood bench.)

Personally, I prefer Kobo over Kindle, but that is in part because most of my e-books are in epub format and I don't want to format them all. I also dislike that you can't turn off the light on the Paperwhite, and I don't want to have to jailbreak my e-reader just to sideload books via Calibre. (And I want to be able to use memory cards.)

I buy e-books from all sorts of places and manage them in Calibre (Kobo handles shelves fine, too). I also picked up a Bookeen for the page turn button, but I haven't received it yet. For me, I definitely want frontlight and 6" or smaller, and native epub support. Physical page-turn buttons are a plus.

Since you had a Kobo, I'd just stick with the brand, or at least with a epub reader.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
You should also bear in mind that you may be unable to transfer your books from Kobo to Kindle, as EPUB (the format of books downloaded from the Kobo site) is not listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...95&sr=1-2#tech
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
You should also bear in mind that you may be unable to transfer your books from Kobo to Kindle, as EPUB (the format of books downloaded from the Kobo site) is not listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...95&sr=1-2#tech
Easy to convert ePub to Amazon's KF8 format using Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Easy to convert ePub to Amazon's KF8 format using Calibre.
yes of course, but in case epubs are protected with ADE (which is most of the books on Kobo as far as I can see) one must be comfortable with Alf's tools.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
yes of course, but in case epubs are protected with ADE (which is most of the books on Kobo as far as I can see) one must be comfortable with Alf's tools.
There isn't all that much to be comfortable with, especially if you use the Calibre plugin...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
There isn't all that much to be comfortable with, especially if you use the Calibre plugin...
sure - but there are some people who have issues of principle (not me ) - if they don't know anything about it, I think it is fair for people to know beforehand. As the OP has only 2 messages, I thought it was fair to give an heads up on this particular issue, as he may not be familiar with walled gardens and all the delights of DRM...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The uncomfortable part is probably the legal aspect of it. It is insubstantial to me personally since I feel it is ethically sound to liberate books that you have bought and that you do not distribute, but at least in the EU the use of means to circumvent certain things is against current regulations, whether or not we personally agree with it. There may be people to whom that is relevant and who aren't comfortable with the concept.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
mook glow.

has sd card slot.

has light.

can be easily rooted to read any book or install google marker apps.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
The uncomfortable part is probably the legal aspect of it. It is insubstantial to me personally since I feel it is ethically sound to liberate books that you have bought and that you do not distribute, but at least in the EU the use of means to circumvent certain things is against current regulations, whether or not we personally agree with it. There may be people to whom that is relevant and who aren't comfortable with the concept.
Yeah, I misunderstood it as being technically uncomfortable with it. I could see someone being philosophically uneasy with it being illegal, if it is where he/she is. I'm not, personally, just like you, but I could understand if someone was.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote