Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
cc_humbry
cc_humbry began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Error installing in Linux

Hi, tried installing this in Arch Linux but this happens...

Code:
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: 
Will download and install calibre-0.9.0-x86_64.tar.bz2 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 285, in main
  File "<string>", line 243, in download_and_extract
  File "<string>", line 223, in download_tarball
  File "<string>", line 201, in __init__
  File "<string>", line 92, in __init__
TypeError: 'str' does not support the buffer interface
Any suggestions?
Thanks
cc_humbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use sudo python2.7 instead of sudo python
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
cc_humbry

good call, thanks. All working now.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_humbry View Post
good call, thanks. All working now.
Why on earth would Arch set the default python to 3.3, a version that was released a few days ago! Or have you changed it on your machine locally?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
cc_humbry

dunno. I update frequently and therefore I assume Arch maintainers think this is a good idea. The version I have though is 3.2.3.
I couldn't think of a reason to do anything different with python wrt versions. Whilst I have had a dabble with it, I am a Java developer.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Morf
Morf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"Alternate Download Location" points to the wrong version!...

Currently, if I go to the download link for the standard Windows version (http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows) then pick "alternate download location", the default version offered on sourceforge.net is the portable version (http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/).

Rather confusing, to say the least!
Morf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Morf: Thanks, fixed.