Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Tihy
Tihy began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Device keeps resetting

I've tried to install the developer package today. After connecting to IDS the screen stopped in the "Download complete" for a while and the device stopped responding. After about 5 minutes I clicked the RESET button in the back a few times.
The reader restarted and before getting to the menu (after the startup progress is complete) it restarts again. I tried to click the restart button again, hold the power button for a while, hold the connect button during startup but nothing seems to stop the device from the restart loop.
Any suggestions on how can I stop it? Thank you.
Tihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
It seems that you have a corrupted system on your iLiad. Try reflash from CF to reinstall the system.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Tihy

In the meantime I've read more posts and it seems the reset loop is not uncommon. I managed to break the loop by pressing the back reset button in the "blank" time between two resets.
I hope the CF re-flashing will work...
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Most likely, the repeated boot failure is cause by a corrupted /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml. The file is the core config file for all user interaction on iLiad. When you install the developer's package (to enables shell access), it will modify "registry.xml" by adding some entry in the file. If something wrong happens in the process of moification, it may corrupt the file. If iLiad detect a invalid registry.xml, it will try to overwrite the current one with a working backup, and then reboot. If the backup is also damaged or non-existed, it will surely cause your iLiad repeat the boot- fail-reboot circle.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Tihy

Thanks for the insight. I re-flashed with format and everything looks ok now. It seems that the developer package was already installed because I was able to open a terminal app on the device.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihy View Post
I re-flashed with format and everything looks ok now. It seems that the developer package was already installed because I was able to open a terminal app on the device.
That's strange to me. If you re-flashed with format option, your old registry.xml should be gone after re-flashing is done. It can't be possible that developer's package still exists after re-flashing with format option, unless the re-flash image already has it.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Tihy

I re-flashed with 2.10 if I remember correctly and it automatically updated itself to 2.12. After this automatic update I requested the developer package again but the device froze after the download. I assumed the installation was unsuccessful but I was glad to see that the device didn't enter the restart loop afterward.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihy View Post
After this automatic update I requested the developer package again but the device froze after the download.
IIRC, sometimes I have to reset the device after requesting developer's package. The frozen device does not mean that the process failed.