Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
paulinesmith
paulinesmith began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
how to add books to collections

I have found this on the Sony site:
From the [Collections] application

1 Press the (Home) button tap [Collections].
2 Tap a collection that you have created.
3 Press the (Menu) button tap [Add Content] [Books] or [Periodicals].
For periodicals, tap the periodical title to view its issues list.
Select one or more books or periodical issues from the list.
Selected items are indicated with a check.
Tap [Done].
When I get to step 3, the add content button is greyed out and I am unable to tap it. Any ideas please? At the moment i have to put books into collections by syncing through the Reader Store.
Thanks!
paulinesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Weird... I have never had that (96 collections 1000 plus books) check that you have enough space either on internal memory or on the sd card (if inserted) note that you can't have a collection split over internal and sd memory.. but if you are able to sync that doesn't appear to be a likely solution have you tried a soft reset? I had a similar thing when it wouldn't let me add a text memo in spite of having 100 mb free.. a soft reset )paperclip) fixed it
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinesmith View Post
When I get to step 3, the add content button is greyed out and I am unable to tap it. Any ideas please? At the moment i have to put books into collections by syncing through the Reader Store.
Thanks!

That'd be your problem! Once you make a collection through the Reader for PC program you CANNOT do anything to it on the device itself. You can only manage it through the software on your computer. Which presents a whole other bunch of problems.

A reset isn't going to do anything for you. That's the way the thing was designed. You have to choose between making collections on your reader or the computer. Doing so on the reader itself is manual & you can manage it that way. Making collections through the software is the only way you can add and remove content in the various collections afterwards.

A great many people don't sync the device to the software for that very reason. Among others....it's a PITA.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I detest the reader and have used Calibre since the day I got my PRS-650.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
paulinesmith

Thanks for your help. i have now set up collections through my reader and will think twice about syncing again.
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Get Calibre and manage your books and collections that way. It so much easier.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I totally agree Calibre is the way to go, I do not even have the sony software on my computer. The team that wrote it should be sacked it a complete load of rubbish.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
paulinesmith

So can I put all the books I have on my ereader onto Calibre? Could I have an easy to follow, step by step guide please?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I love calibre and by all means use it to manage your library but do NOT use it to sync... unless you absolutely must ...sooner or later sync will screw up...it will inevitably do something you don't want it to do I speak from long and bitter experience lol
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have never had any trouble with using Calibre to manage my library. Of course this is from personal experience and others on the Calibre forum.

Pauline, go to the Calibre forum here on Mobileread and ask your question there. You will get lots of help from the more experience members there.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Calibre, Books on Board and, of course Apprentice Alf make avoiding Reader for PC and the Sony Reader Store a no-brainer for me. Took me a while to get everything set up just right but now it just takes a few seconds to add tags and load 'em to my T1!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
And just to buck the trend - I detest Calibre.

I absolutely hate the way IT decides how to organise your library - I do not want every book to be in it's own folder and there is no way to change it.

At least Reader has the decency to leave my folder structure alone - and to be honest I've never had a problem with it when managing my 650.

I do have Calibe on my machine but I only ever use it for the essential AA operations: load a book - work on it - remove from Calbre. That way I can keep my library tidy the way I like it.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
And just to buck the trend - I detest Calibre.

I absolutely hate the way IT decides how to organise your library - I do not want every book to be in it's own folder and there is no way to change it.
That would annoy me to know end. Fortunately, it certainly can be changed. You just have to play with the settings, and also set things the way you want them in plugboards. Mine is set up to create collections from a specific tag column, and nothing else. Every book I put on the T1 is in a collection which I have chosen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
booklover6

you missread (intentionally?)
Ashjuk complains about Calibres file-structure on his computer - not the reader!
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
booklover6

you missread (intentionally?)
Ashjuk complains about Calibres file-structure on his computer - not the reader!
Yes it is Calibre's file structure on my PC that I don't like.

I have my library catalogued by type - biographies, travel, history etc. - which I have created and manually place relevant books in these folders.

What annoys me about Calibre is that if I open one of these books it insists on creating a new folder for that book rather than just leaving it where it was - and there appears to be no way of changing this action.

Reading a sticky in the Calibre forum it seems that they are rather adamant that the user is not capable of organising their own folder structure and that everyone should accept that the only way is Calibre's way. Well I'm sorry but personally I think I can design a far better folder structure that suits me than one bit of software will ever be able to do.

As I said before the only use I can find for Calibre is working with Alf's add-on, and if I could find a way of doing that without using Calibre then I would ditch it in a flash.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote