Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question Books yours to keep or just "on loan"?

I ask becuase someone has led my sister to believe that with a Sony and not a Kindle that the books are not yours to keep, they are merely on loan to you and that should the publisher change their minds that they can take the books off your account and you're out of luck.
I thought that as long as you backed them up, that they are yours to keep regardless. Which leads me to several more questions.
First, is having them in your Reader Library considered being backed up on your computer?
Second, can you put Sony files on Calibre and if so, is that a permanent place for them?
Do you need to put them permanently onto a memory card to keep them?
It seems as though there were other questions, but I think this does it for now. Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I think they are supposed to be yours (there is some controversy about an ebook being a product or a service, and I'm not sure what the verdict is). However, as long as there is drm on the book, you really depend on the publisher and/or the seller. If the format, or the specific brand of drm is at some point in time no longer supported, you might not be able to access your ebooks. Likewise, many ebook stores don't let you download your bought ebooks an unlimited number of times, so backing up is highly recommended.
One step of backing up is just saving in one or more places on your hard drive(s). That means you can keep the files, but you are not absolutely sure that you will be able to open them in the future.
De-drm-ing is the only safe way to keep your ebooks yours, but it is legally questionable.
All in all it's a complicated topic
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
This may be a stupid question, but how do I back up Sony books or other DRM protected books in more than one place on my computer?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Find the folder the Sony software saves them to - on my computer it's in My Documents\My Books\ and I have two folders in there (CONNECT Reader, from the original software name, and eBook Library, from the newer versions).

The LRX books are the DRM'd Sony formatted books, LRF are non-DRM'd. For ePub, as far as I know, you have to open it to know if it's DRM'd. But you can copy those elsewhere for a backup.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how do I back up Sony books or other DRM protected books in more than one place on my computer?
First you have to find the directory where they are stored and just copy it.

On my winxpPro PC the sony books are stored at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kenny\My Documents\My Books

there are now (since the upgrade to 3.1) two directories there
eBook Library
and
Reader Library

Kindle (which I see you have as well) are not stored in a particular directory, just wherever you download them to.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Epubs are downloaded through Digital Editions (or does the sony software do it too? I don't really use it) and are saved in a folder called, yes, my digital editions. Mine is in [my username]/documents/my digital editions. Extension is .epub. Just copy them wherever else you want.

Last edited by omk3; 12-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Epubs are downloaded through Digital Editions (or does the sony software do it too? I don't really use it) and are saved in a folder called, yes, my digital editions. Mine is in [my username]/documents/my digital editions. Extension is .epub. Just copy them wherever else you want.
The one I purchased as epub was downloaded by the Sony Library App and stored in the Sony book directory "Reader Library" as was the Google book I downloaded and the epub of a previously purchased LRX book.

It didn't appear to use Adobe DE to do any work.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
omk3
Wizard

So that's why ebook library is always asking me to associate it with epub files! Ok, so both programs can download epubs, and they use different folders. Good to know.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
BTW OP, in case you missed the news, it is Amazon/Kindle that can remove books from your device without your permission. Your SOny files are between you and your Reader and your PC.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sony hides the file where your purchased downloads from them are stored. Search your computer for a book title and find the folder, then just copy it.

I keep a folder on my desktop that is imaginatively called "ebooks." Everything gets backed up to it, no matter where the book came from.

NOW THEN....
You can re-download purchases from most legitimate sellers if you lose your copies.

From Fictionwise, some books can be downloaded in multiple formats in order to back up your purchase in every possible way.

Books borrowed from libraries using the Overdrive system will expire and stop working on the date they tell you that it will happen. Makes no use trying to copy those, because you can just re-download them again if you are not finished. (Note to self: Finish Unseen Academicals quickly before it expires.)

Amazon can and has deleted books from owner's devices via the Whispernet. I think the solution was to turn that feature off. Except that is the basic reason for getting Kindle.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not all can be re-downloaded

I went to the Sony Reader Store, opened my account, and found that about half of the books I purchased before the upgrade are NOT available for re-download.

Thus, keep those old eBooks and back them up to an external drive along with everything else in My Documents.

By the way, I used to read books with Adobe Reader 5 years ago. They cannot be read anymore with the new Adobe Digital Editions. Thus, as technology advances old eBooks may not be readable anymore.

DRM protection keeps evolving as does the reading software and old eBooks fade to dust.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-13-2009 at 12:22 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's a shame that they aren't wroking anymore. Have you tried downloading Adobe Reader and opening them with it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Amazon can and has deleted books from owner's devices via the Whispernet. I think the solution was to turn that feature off. Except that is the basic reason for getting Kindle.

Not for me, it was to be able to purchase books from Amazon. I could couldn't care less about the wireless. I want to download them to my pc and back them up myself.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
New Adobe Digital Editions does NOT open old books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That's a shame that they aren't wroking anymore. Have you tried downloading Adobe Reader and opening them with it?
I downloaded the newest version of Adobe Digital Editions (version 1.7) and it does not read the old PDF DRM books. It gives a message they were purchased ONLY for use on a different computer.

Thus, as we upgrade computers, the DRM books become useless as well.

I wonder if Sony and BN are going to do this as well?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I downloaded the newest version of Adobe Digital Editions (version 1.7) and it does not read the old PDF DRM books. It gives a message they were purchased ONLY for use on a different computer.

Thus, as we upgrade computers, the DRM books become useless as well.

I wonder if Sony and BN are going to do this as well?
Well, the way DRM works is that it is encrypted for a specific computer or set of computers. You can't just copy a DRM encrypted file to another computer and read it. It has to be re-encypted/DRM'd for that computer or device -- or has to have the DRM stripped from it. This is just one more reason DRM needs to be banned! And also why I support the ability to strip the drm off books for you own personal use (to backup, copy, etc.).