Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast
fleaaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
Questions on the Sony e-reader

Hey I'm a newbie, from the UK.

Now I was thinking about getting a Sony E-reader in the near future. I was wondering does the sony support mobibooks? If it does or doesn't can you tell me the advantages of a reader that does?

The sony seems to be one of the most (if not the most) affordable E-book from the small amount of research I've done and many people use it. I have had a look at it in the sony store and on youtube.

Could anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of this reader or other possibilities of readers which I could buy? Along with the prices if you suggest another reader.

Thanks

I'm looking forward to the world of the e book!
fleaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you mean MobiPocket books? No, the Sony Reader (note - not "E-Reader"!) doesn't support them. I'd recommend the CyBook Gen3, which does. MobiPocket gives you a very wide range of different eBook stores to buy from and a wide range of titles.

W.H.Smith's are selling the Gen3 very cheaply at the moment - only £149.99. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28723
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
There is an excellent "spreadsheet" done here in the forums which will give you an idea of the capabilities of the various e-book readers.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Given that Waterstones now have the Sony Reader in stock and available to play with in their shops you can go and try one out. I'm not sure if W.H. Smith have the Cybook Gen3 available to be tried out in their shops, but the price on offer at the moment is excellent.

Calibre available and superbly supported by Kovid Goyal on these forums will allow modification of mobi files to the file type use on the Sony PRS 505:
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/faq.html

Enjoy your search for your e-book reader
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi fleaaaa,

I'm not experienced enough to give you a comparison allthough I love my few day old Sony.

However, I have seen this question asked a number of times before I made my choice and in general the more experienced folk on here would ask what you want to read, that way they will be able to give you a better opinion.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Tools exist to convert .mobi books to .lrf, Sony's native format. Mobi books come with and without DRM, and tools exist to remove the DRM. I'm not advising on the legal or ethical issues, those have been debated aplenty here. But while Sony doesn't directly support the mobi format, it is possible to purchase mobi books and read them on the Sony Reader.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast

Thanks and more questions

Hey that Cybook looks like a bargain! Does that have more memory then than the Sony one because it says you can store 1000 books. Is there an optional memory card and a charger? Do you know where I could get a charger for it?

I mostly read classics and would also like to upload some poetry I've been told about project gutenburg and feedbooks which I intend to use. I don't know about any others. Anyway thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It charges via USB, either from a PC or from any USB power source. Yes, it has more internal memory than the Sony - not that that's especially relevent; both machines allow you to carry around as many books as you'd practically want to.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa View Post
I mostly read classics and would also like to upload some poetry I've been told about project gutenburg and feedbooks which I intend to use. I don't know about any others. Anyway thanks for the help so far.
If you like reading the classics you'll break even by the time you've read around 20 as they cost roughly a tenner each as the miracle of the internet lets you access the texts without cost. So get reading

Add to that the convenience and portability you get thrown in for free
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast

Well I was thinking about a charger I can plug in, in case I wanted to use it on a holiday surely it would need charging within that time? I have one actually I could probably borrow that connects a USB to a charger.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I was thinking about a charger I can plug in, in case I wanted to use it on a holiday surely it would need charging within that time? I have one actually I could probably borrow that connects a USB to a charger.
All you need is a USB mains adapter - something that plugs into a wall socket and has a USB connector on it. Costs under £5 at places like Maplins.

Whether you need one is a different question; you'll probably get a couple of weeks usage from a Gen3, reading several hours a day, without needing to recharge.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same with the Sony (re: length of charge), and a PlayStation3 charger works on the Reader. That's what I take when I travel.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Same with the Sony (re: length of charge), and a PlayStation3 charger works on the Reader. That's what I take when I travel.
I thought it was a PSP charger, Taylor? Or do both work?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thank you, you are correct. I posted before coffee - never a good idea.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Hey that Cybook looks like a bargain!
They're both good devices - as a Sony owner, I'd have to suggest you try & get a CyBook from WH Smith @ £149 (although the status does seem to have gone back to "4 weeks", so they may not supply). At the 'correct' price of £269 (picmania.co.uk), I'd suggest the Sony, but at that price, try & get one!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It may be the W H Smith have just sold out the original consignment and are awaiting a new delivery. Let's hope so.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote