Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #181
ChuckChic
ChuckChic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Doubtful since Target ditched Amazon a few months ago. They only carry the Nook now.
Oh really? I did not know that. I that Walmart ditched KF for iPad . OK then, both Target and Walmart are out
ChuckChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #182
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
More tablets have been added. Quite a few of them are currently selling online at Black Friday pricing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #183
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Black Friday Deals - Tablets & eReaders

Note: listings below may or may not be offered online -- best prices -- on sale now

Tablets
  • Black Playbook 64GB ($219) --- OD ($150)
  • Black Playbook 16GB ($149) --- OD ($130)
  • -----------------------------------------------------------------
  • Gal Tab 2 10 16GB ($350) --- AMZ ($299) / BB ($300) / COS ($270) / OD ($300) / OM ($300) / SC ($299) / SEA ($298) / TRU ($300)
  • Gal Tab 2 7 8GB ($200) --- BB ($180+$20GC) / COS ($170) / FM ($180) / OD ($180) / SC ($179) / SEA ($178) / STA ($180)
  • iPad 4 16GB ($499) --- TAR ($500+$60GC) *other models also discounted
  • iPad 2 16GB ($399) --- WAL ($399+$75GC)
  • Kin Fire HD 7" 32GB ($249) --- STA ($249+$20GC)
  • Kin Fire HD 7" 16GB ($199) --- BB ($200+$30GC) / OM ($199+$25GC) / STP ($199+$20GC)
  • Kin Fire 2 7" 8GB ($159) --- BB ($160+$30GC) / OD ($160+$25GC) / STP ($159+$20GC)
  • Lenovo S9 9" 16GB ($350) --- OD ($220)
  • Lenovo A2 9" 16GB ($300) --- OD ($200)
  • Lenovo A2 7" 8GB ($ ? ) --- AMZ ($150) / STP ($150)
  • Nexus 7 32GB ($249) --- OD ($230)
  • Nook Tab 7" 16GB ($179) --- OD ($170)
  • Nook Tab 7" 8GB ($159) --- OD ($140)
  • Nook Color 7" 8GB ($139) --- WAL ($99)
  • Toshiba Excite 10 16GB ($400) --- BB ($300) / OD ($300)

eReaders

Key
  • AMZ= Amazon / B&N= Barnes & Noble / BB= Best Buy / COS= Costco / DEL= Dell / FM= Fred Meyer / KM= Kmart / OD= Office Depot / OM= OfficeMax / RS= RadioShack / SAM= Samsung / SC= Sam's Club / SEA= Sears / STP= Staples / TAR= Target / TRU= Toys"R"Us / WAL= Walmart

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-23-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #184
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Black Friday Deals - MP3 & Media Players

Note: listings below may or may not be offered online -- best prices -- on sale now

MP3 & Media Players

Misc Items
  • iTunes Gift Cards --- BB ($80 for $100 GC) / OM ($35 for $50 GC) / SC ($80 for 4 x $25 GC)

Key
  • AMZ= Amazon / BB= Best Buy / COS= Costco / DEL= Dell / FM= Fred Meyer / KM= Kmart / OD= Office Depot / OM= OfficeMax / RS= RadioShack / SAM= Samsung / SC= Sam's Club / SEA= Sears / STP= Staples / TAR= Target / TRU= Toys"R"Us / WAL= Walmart

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-27-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #185
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Major Announcement

Black Friday (Fri 23 Nov) is just two days off now and I'm prepping the OP for live online BF deals. I've moved the deals that were located there into separate posts as indicated below.

Black Friday Deals -- moved to these posts

Major online BF deals should start around 12am ET Thu 22 Nov; some earlier, some later. My plan is to use this thread for live online shopping. I'll set up a wishlist where each of us can list the items we want. Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll add you to the list. Then as deals go live, we can help each other by posting those deals.

Right now, I have no idea which items will be available. In years past, I've seen items that were marked "in-store only" become available online. I'm hoping we see many of the major doorbusters.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #186
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Have you been to Office Depot, then (since I haven't seen the deal offered on line)? If so, did you end up grabbing a Nexus 7 32GB?

I'll have a leer at places like Tom's Hardware for laptop deals, since they're probably not relevant to this forum.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-20-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #187
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Monkey, you have this on your list

Lenovo A2 7" 8GB ($ ? ) --- STP=($150)

I noticed it's at that price on Amazon right now. Do you expect it to go lower at Staples?

I just bought one. It has a card slot! So right there it outdoes the Nexus and the Fire HD.

Lenovo 7 $149

Last edited by booklover6; 11-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #188
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just bought this device earlier this month. I love it!
I also bought one of these (SGP5) a month or so ago, from Cowboom, and love it too.

I use it as a replacement for my PDA, since it's really just a miniature Android tablet, like blossom says. I now keep my calendar and reminders on it, and take short notes on it, and have my music on it (and Shazam for when I hear those unknown songs!), and most of my ebooks, and my Economist esubscription, and occasionally go on the Internet (wi-fi only), and and and...

I had shifted over to using my phone for all of that, but I wanted something a bit bigger so I could also read my scanned ebooks as .pdf files without having to go through the hassle of OCR-ing and proofing. The SGP5 is just big enough that I can do that with most of my scans, once I've cropped them, which is a lot easier than OCR-ing and proofing. And having had carpal tunnel syndrome once a long time ago, I wanted something smaller than my Tab 7 Plus, which gets heavy to hold during long reading sessions. And I found an unexpected side-benefit too - now I don't have to worry about burning the battery on my phone on those rare occasions when I get a chance to read a lot during the day.

I definitely recommend this if you're in the market for a "small-ish tablet".
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #189
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Have you been to Office Depot, then (since I haven't seen the deal offered on line)? If so, did you end up grabbing a Nexus 7 32GB?

I'll have a leer at places like Tom's Hardware for laptop deals, since they're probably not relevant to this forum.
Haven't been to OD yet. It's a BF deal, so I don't expect them to lower the price until then. The other tablets listed for such low prices are not in their BF ad.

Not sure if the mods would allow laptop and other computer deals to be listed. The same thing with Roku, DVD players, televisions, cameras, etc.

MobileRead is a very tech oriented book community and we do love our gadgets. Still, I've limited the scope of this thread to mobile book reading and listening devices.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #190
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Monkey, you have this on your list

Lenovo A2 7" 8GB ($ ? ) --- STP=($150)

I noticed it's at that price on Amazon right now. Do you expect it to go lower at Staples?
Thanks for the heads up. I added it and another deal from Amazon to the list. I really don't expect Staples to go lower. But I do see Amazon matching prices with the competition here and there.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #191
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just bought this device earlier this month. I use this little tablet for everything!
Thanks for the advice. You have wonderful suggestions. I had never even thought of the SGP5 until I read your posts on the topic.

The (GPS) cases look good. I had thought to use my portable harddisk case, since the Amazon case (one choice) was very expensive. Yours would be a better choice. Is the TPU covering still needed if I keep it in a case? I am in Europe now and have to wait till early January to get most of the accessories and to actually use it.

Is "Flip fonts" an app. that I should download? I can't find it in Google - do you have a link please? I guess it is a new font installer app? I'll look on XDA for the font you recommend since I want to read on it as well. --edit: Found archive of flipfonts on XDA, with instructions! Guess I just install the NokiaPure.apk and then set it as the font.

This is my first Android device, so am very excited to play - but I don't dare try to root it! I'll just cover the lighted buttons with a sticky or something.

Do you use a stylus with it? I was wondering if it would help given the small screen size? Other than a 32GB memory card, stylus, case and maybe cover I'm just going to buy the "marshmallow" earbuds that you recommended - what other accessories are you looking at?

I was wondering about (read: drooling after) the KFHD, but will definitely try reading on the the SGP5 before sinking any money into another device. I am very happy reading with my current kindles (6" and 9.7"DXG) in general, but I don't carry them around. Even the 6" is too large for me to be comfortable.

Wish I could take advantage of the 32GB microSD disk sales.
Thanks again!

Last edited by rgeorg; 11-20-2012 at 10:30 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #192
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Sorry for being really dumb, but I've never really thought about a tablet, and I don't know anything about tablets and apps--and now you've got me curious about this 5-inch SGP. How do you use it as an e-reader? Do you have to get a special app? I would want to sideload non-DRMed epubs, mostly.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #193
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Thanks for the advice. You have wonderful suggestions. I had never even thought of the SGP5 until I read your posts on the topic.

The (GPS) cases look good. I had thought to use my portable harddisk case, since the Amazon case (one choice) was very expensive. Yours would be a better choice. Is the TPU covering still needed if I keep it in a case? I am in Europe now and have to wait till early January to get most of the accessories and to actually use it.

Is "Flip fonts" an app. that I should download? I can't find it in Google - do you have a link please? I guess it is a new font installer app? I'll look on XDA for the font you recommend since I want to read on it as well. --edit: Found archive of flipfonts on XDA, with instructions! Guess I just install the NokiaPure.apk and then set it as the font.

This is my first Android device, so am very excited to play - but I don't dare try to root it! I'll just cover the lighted buttons with a sticky or something.

Do you use a stylus with it? I was wondering if it would help given the small screen size? Other than a 32GB memory card, stylus, case and maybe cover I'm just going to buy the "marshmallow" earbuds that you recommended - what other accessories are you looking at?

I was wondering about (read: drooling after) the KFHD, but will definitely try reading on the the SGP5 before sinking any money into another device. I am very happy reading with my current kindles (6" and 9.7"DXG) in general, but I don't carry them around. Even the 6" is too large for me to be comfortable.

Wish I could take advantage of the 32GB microSD disk sales.
Thanks again!
Flip Fonts is installed be default on the SGPs You just need the apks from Google Play or XDA has alot of free fonts you can choose from. The SGP5 comes with ear buds that have pause/play button on them. They are nice rubber kind that fit in the ear. I still love my JVC Marshmallows because they block outside sound out and I can sleep in them.

I don't need a stylus, my fingers work fine. Oh you will need to install a Keyboard unless you like Swype because you can't turn the keys sounds off on the default one and that gets annoying. I use Swiftkey 3 which auto corrects so good I seldom have to type a word which means I can type really fast on it.

You will need a TPU skin for it. Trust me on this. It's too slippery to hold otherwise. Amazon has a few but eBay have much nicer choices. the TPU SKin has little grips on it making it really nice to hold and protects nice. The GPS case I use needs the TPU Skin to fit. You can get nicer cases for $30-$40 but I don't see me paying that much for a case!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #194
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Sorry for being really dumb, but I've never really thought about a tablet, and I don't know anything about tablets and apps--and now you've got me curious about this 5-inch SGP. How do you use it as an e-reader? Do you have to get a special app? I would want to sideload non-DRMed epubs, mostly.
There are all kinds of apps out there you can use a for reading. My app of choice is Mantano because it's has all the features you could ever want in an app. Besides Mantano there is Aldiko, Moon Reader, Nook app, Cool Reader 3 to just name a few. There is also the Kindle app for Amazon books.

It works great as an eReader! I read on it this morning instead of sleeping.

You can use the little baby for alot of things. Music, Audible, Audio Books, Surfing, PDA, Reading, Gaming, Movies are just a few uses. It also has a real FM Radio on it! No Net required to use it.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #195
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, Blossom. I am tempted ... I think I will wait and see what prices are like after Christmas, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote