Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for one of the following for the March 2012 MR Bookclub selection:
Along came a spider by James Patterson 14 35.90%
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #31
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've read Shutter Island, and I REALLY liked it...HOWEVER I haven't seen the movie, and from what I've heard the endings are completely different...so you can't get away with watching the movie on this one!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
HOWEVER I haven't seen the movie, and from what I've heard the endings are completely different...

Oh, that is great news!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I've read Shutter Island, and I REALLY liked it...HOWEVER I haven't seen the movie, and from what I've heard the endings are completely different...so you can't get away with watching the movie on this one!
Really?...intriguing!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Got the epub on Overdrive from my local library. Forgot to up the time to 21 days so I'll have to read fast.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #35
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I didn't manage to vote in the run-off, but I haven't read either book or seen either movie, so I'm sure I shall be as pleased/appalled/righteously indignant as if I had voted.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 03-02-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: An infinite number of monkeys will have infinite better typing skills than I.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started it...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Really?...intriguing!
Well, not entirely, except the movie changes the entire FEEL of the ending from what I've understood.

Either way, this is a great book.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks to WTSharpe for nominating Shutter Island, and to everyone who voted for it (yay me too!). I'm really, really liking it so far...back to the book
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still number one one the wait list! I would have though I'd get it faster than this, since the library has two copies. But it can't be long now...
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a third through, and it is good. Unfortunately, as I feared, my reading of it is coloured by having seen the film and knowing the denoument.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, don't tell me. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. And there's a lot of hell in that book to be enjoyed out of.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #42
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

I finally got the book from the library and I have returned it early to give someone else a chance to read it. (FLP)
The book is a relatively quick read (less than 250 pages, not much text per page) and as far as I remember the movie it is very true to the book. I can't say I completely remembered the movie when I started the book, but I all came back to me as I kept reading. I can't think of anything in the book that I don't recogninze from the movie.
The movie was great and really "spooky", as is the book. A very interesting plot, indeed!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Well I've finished it now, and despite knowing the story already, I did think it was an excellent read. Raring to go once the discussion thread is up .
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Having read the book, I wonder if I should now see the movie, or would that get my facts jumbled up in the discussion?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Having read the book, I wonder if I should now see the movie, or would that get my facts jumbled up in the discussion?
I haven't seen the movie for a while, but there were some differences that could confuse. You could make your review notes now, then you could watch it?