It's awesome, I want one instead of Kindle 4 1.90%
It's awesome but my Kindle is better for me 40 18.96%
Nothing spectacular really 159 75.36%
It's a gamechanger, time will show 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Kindle owners - So what do you think abot Nook Color?

Just curious to know what everybody thinks? Would you buy kindle now?

p.s. if you haven't heard the news B&N has released new reader, that uses LCD display instead of eink, more here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

Last edited by mrzerga; 10-27-2010 at 05:49 AM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post
Just curious to know what everybody thinks? Would you buy kindle now?
It's a rather nice Android tablet at a very good price, but with very restricted functionality (eg no access to the Google app store). I don't see it making the slightest difference to Amazon - they already have an app that you can run on any Android device, iPad, etc. It certainly isn't intended to be a replacement for eInk devices; B&N will continue to sell their eInk reader alongside it.

I'm curious why B&N would release such a device; it's pretty certain to get swamped by the forthcoming wave a low-cost Android tablets.

I certainly see absolutely no reason why, as your poll offers the option of, anyone should be filled with awe by it. It's just an Android tablet. Nothing too terrifying in that.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-27-2010 at 05:50 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I agree with HarryT... just an android tablet that has been crippled... someone will root it and then it will be a slow, crippled, android tablet
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I agree with HarryT... just an android tablet that has been crippled... someone will root it and then it will be a slow, crippled, android tablet
The price is good, though. $250 for a tablet with a nice screen is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious why B&N would release such a device; it's pretty certain to get swamped by the forthcoming wave a low-cost Android tablets.
I imagine it was released in an attempt to help try and push the NookMagazines and NookNewspapers. First real dedicated colour ereader for newspapers/magazines. Perhaps they feel this will get them an early share of that market (not sure how without 3G delivery like the Kindle).

I could be wrong, but me being in Australia I'd have to go through a postal relay to get it to me, too much hassle for me, I'll wait for something else.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I already have an Ipad...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
It's difficult to obtain a subjective evaluation from Kindle owners, of course. From my perspective, it's all about color. If you want to read magazines, go for it. All of my reading is either pMags or books. I don't need color to display B&W text or show off to my friends.

I own a nice laptop and a desktop computer for doing the color stuff, what little of it I do. Starting over, I'd go for the K3 again. If I were to add a second reader, it would be a toss up between a second K3 or a Sony (to minimize compatibility issues and remove the temptation to deDRM books for sharing with my wife).
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If it can be turned into a full android tablet; if the processor and memory are good enough it could be a good product. But reading on an LCD screen is not for me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I almost don't understand why they launched it under the Nook name. Backlit screen, 8-10-hour battery life, weird carabiner loop thing (is anyone really going to hang it from their backpack or belt? or hang a pen from it?).

It could actually cause the brand some damage; not likely, of course, but not inconceivable. If someone hasn't seen eInk before, and their first exposure to an eReader is the Nook Colour, they might even be seriously underwhelmed. One can only hope the next device they see afterwards is a Kindle so they can marvel at the display.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
It's a GOOD tablet, it's a GREAT price, it's NOT e-Ink ...

Not for me !!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It was probably launched primarily to support their new kid's books and magazines initiative. I guess they figured kids' books needed to be in color to sell.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It was probably launched primarily to support their new kid's books and magazines initiative. I guess they figured kids' books needed to be in color to sell.
I can't imagine spending $250 on a reading device for a child! but then again, perhaps some of my expenditures when my kids were little were perplexing to my elders
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It's probably only going to be good for people who like to read magazines/comics, children's books with large type. Mabye pdfs if it has a good viewer for them.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
They should've called it nooktab or something and reserved the nookcolor name for a true e ink color reader.

Are there really a lot of people who want to read magazines on a 7" device. Even magazines on the bigger ipad aren't doing so well after the initial flurry of interest. People magazine, for ex, makes about 1 iPad sale for every 100 newsstand sales. And that is with about 5 million ipads in the wild.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Everything I read is in black & white.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote