Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Help side-loading media

I need to help my (step) father set up a new iPad (retina). He is in his late 80s and I haven't used an iPad before. I have read the posts about Marvin ereader & using Dropbox and that sounds perfect for books.

I have some other media to experiment with (music, a video, an audiobook). I don't know if he has a PC/Apple that I can use to sideload. I have to ask. The files are on Dropbox.

Can I download directly from Dropbox to the iPad (via iTunes, perhaps?). Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I need to help my (step) father.....

Can I download directly from Dropbox to the iPad (via iTunes, perhaps?). Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated!
Using the AppStore app on the iPad, download the Dropbox app. You will need an iTunes account, or set one up at that point.

HTH.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Can I download directly from Dropbox to the iPad (via iTunes, perhaps?).
That would no longer be direct, would it? You never need iTunes for anything at all these days on your iPad. You can just completely forget about iTunes and the USB cable nowadays -- everything you need to do with your iPad can be accomplished wirelessly: via Dropbox, iCloud or other means.

Just install the free Dropbox app on your iPad and you can, indeed, directly open anything from Dropbox on your iPad.

For each type of file, the Dropbox app will suggest apps in which you can open the file. After tapping on a file name, just tap the icon in the top right corner of the Dropbox app on your iPad. For books, the default app is iBooks, so it will be listed first. If Marvin is installed on your iPad, it will be listed there, too, below iBooks. Just tap the name of your preferred app to open the book in it.

I do recommend Marvin over iBooks. Its customization options are 10 to 1 compared to iBooks. There's a huge variety of excellently readable fonts in Marvin to choose from.

You can also input your Dropbox access data directly into Marvin. Marvin will then list up to 1000 EPUB books in your Dropbox account. Opening a book from Dropbox in Marvin is then as simple as tapping the book's name in the Dropbox file listing that Marvin will produce for you. In Marvin, you can sort the Dropbox listing of books Alphabetically, or Newest on Top, and you can also search within the Dropbox listing of books directly from Marvin.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
That would no longer be direct, would it? You never need iTunes for anything at all these days on your iPad. You can just completely forget about iTunes and the USB cable nowadays -- everything you need to do with your iPad can be accomplished wirelessly: via Dropbox, iCloud or other means.

Just install the free Dropbox app on your iPad and you can, indeed, directly open anything from Dropbox on your iPad.

Thanks to both responders!

Great, just what I wanted to hear! I'll download from SugarSync also, to get another 5GB They do not have a working Apple PC (or any PC) - so this is the only solution, but by far sounds like the best in any case.

Thanks also for the Marvin/Dropbox hint. I'll use that.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Quote:
I need to help my (step) father set up a new iPad (retina). He is in his late 80s and I haven't used an iPad before. I have read the posts about Marvin ereader & using Dropbox and that sounds perfect for books.

I have some other media to experiment with (music, a video, an audiobook). I don't know if he has a PC/Apple that I can use to sideload. I have to ask. The files are on Dropbox.

I know you didn't ask this, but I really recommend you go with your step father to a couple of the free iPad classes offered at your local Apple store.

I've "taken" several friends (not really computer savvy) to several classes and they've always learned something. They only last about an hour and you can stay after and get answers to specific questions that weren't covered in class.

They've all said how much more comfortable they are now with their new iPads and have all gone to additional classes to learn more.

As any such classes, some are better than others but all of them offer something to learn and should help your step father enjoy his new iPad.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru

That's a great idea - will look into it!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
rgeorg
Guru

Another related question...now that I have downloaded - using favorites - my Dropbox files, how do i view them? I use Marvin app for epubs and have a pdf reader. But I cannot find the video files to view or delete them (one was in error). Also, I have downloaded music/audiobooks . What app can access them?
I will suggest an Apple class to my parents, but meanwhile I'm only here for a another week.
Appreciate any help!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To delete a file from Dropbox, swipe your finger from right to left across the file-name. A red "Delete" button will appear. That's the standard method of deleting things in iOS.

As to the various file types, Dropbox should always automatically suggest an app for you to open a file in. It suggests music or multimedia apps for my MP3s, video apps for my movies, etc. etc. Just tap that arrow icon in the top right corner of your screen after downloading a file from Dropbox. A list of apps will appear in which you can open that particular file type.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-16-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Drag your Dropbox folder/file list downwards, and a search-box will appear.

I wouldn't use the Dropbox favourites feature. Let the various apps store the files if necessary, not the Dropbox app itself.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks, that delete worked. Good thing too as was a huge file. Many thanks. I have used "My Media" app for music files,but is PITA as can't seem to do multiple file downloads.
Am I missing something? Seems so much more complex to use than Android. Shouldn't be.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Am I missing something?
You're likely missing iTunes Match. That's a $25 per year service that makes all your music files automatically available across all your iDevices and traditional computers, keeping them synchronized. No manual transfer is ever necessary. It can't get simpler or more convenient than that, can it?

As to transferring other file types, I have never felt it was inconvenient in iOS. For watching movies, I use AVPlayerHD. That app allows you to transfer a movie file via WiFi using any ordinary web browser on the source computer.

For transferring all other file types, the Dropbox app has served me well. But countless other alternative file managers / file transfer managers for iOS exist. For example, I use Filer to handle ZIP files in iOS.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks, I think that it may actually be easier to leave the fileson dropbox and just play them from there. And wouldn't take up disk space. Solves afew issues.