Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
lpd
lpd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cover not showing in Digital Editions or Nook

I was converting a file for a friend. Her cover is a jpg and kind of light in color, but certainly not invisible.
I insert the cover as normal in Calibre and open the file in Sigil for tweaking. The cover is there. All looks well.
File validates at Three Press.
I open the file in Digital Editions and on my Nook and there is a blank page where the cover should be. The cover DOES show on the Nook preview at the bottom, but not in the actual file. It doesn't show in the preview or the file in Digital Editions
So basically, the readers think the cover is there and can show it at least in the one instance in the preview, but the page with the cover shows blank.
Mobi file created from epub is fine.
Tried creating a new epub from epub--same problem.
Tried going back to an older version of Calibre--same problem.
Triec using a cover for a different book--that cover showed.
So everything points to there being some issue with this particular cover. What is it? Like I said, it is light, but not THAT light.
I also tried resizing the cover and inserting different versions that way--same problem.
Thanks in advance for any help or any direction you can point me for help.
lpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
darcos
darcos
darcos began at the beginning.

Did you by any chance found a solution to this problem cause I have the same problem with Digital Editions NOT showing the cover but other readers pick up the cover image.
Thanks.
Darcos
darcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
darcos
darcos
darcos began at the beginning.

Cover image do not appear in Digital Editions reader

I export a book from from InDesign with a cover selected and exports the ePub I can see the file in Sigil but when Digital editions open the file, the cover is missing.
darcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
lpd
lpd began at the beginning.

Yes, the issue in my case was that the file was CMYK instead of RGB. If you open an image in Photoshop you can easily see which it is at the top of the image window. It will have file name size and type.
Good luck!
lpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Tkepner
Tkepner began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital eReader
Thumbs up

I just spent the better part of the day (6+ hours) playing every variable I could think of to get Digital Editions to display my cover when saved from Calibre. Different sizes, converting from epub, converting from mobi (where the cover always showed), and so forth. I downloaded and installed the plugin Cover Generator, which worked just fine, and confused me even more.

And then I just read this: "the file was CMYK." OMG. I immediately checked and sure enough, the cover was CMYK, I resaved it from Photoshop as RGB, and redid everything in Calibre, and it worked the first time! Cover looks great in both epub and mobi formats!

Thank you for posting your solution!

Terry Kepner
Flying Chipmunk Publishing
Tkepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
and thanks for the positive feedback.

A lot of questions have solutions

A word of advice: Calibre evolves fast. Always look at the posting date for a solution you have found. Old in Calibre time is months . you might need to find something more current
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
ebookreadr
Enthusiast
ebookreadr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you.

I have spent many months trying to figure this out. I have the current versions of both Sigil and Calibre. I can't tell you how many different ways I tried to code the cover page, it didn't work. But changing it to RGB fixed it instantly.

Note: It kept crashing Photoshop until I did it from outside of Sigil.

Again - THANKS SO MUCH!

*UPDATE - did not fix it, but I resized the image to fit the nook. I also changed the image to "Indexed color", then back to RGB. Between the two changes the cover is now visible on the nook.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by ebookreadr; 06-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
ebookreadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, covers, digital editions, epub, nook