Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
bchowdhr
bchowdhr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Accessing websites directly on Kindle

Following a tip from Hadrien (Feedbooks.com), I found that it is easier to access the websites I visit, directly by creating a .prc file with links on them. I first created a word file with weblinks and then converted it to a .prc file using Mobicreator. This saves a few clicks by first going to Menu, and then Experimental and then clicking on Bookmarks. Here is a file I created that you can place in the Documents folder on your Kindle and try it yourself. I still don't know how to create links to books and documents on my Kindle itself.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Kindle Links.prc (3.3 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by bchowdhr; 12-18-2007 at 03:02 PM.
bchowdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
Following a tip from Hadrien (Feedbooks.com), I found that it is easier to access the websites I visit, directly by creating a .prc file with links on them. I first created a word file with weblinks and then converted it to a .prc file using Mobicreator. This saves a few clicks by first going to Menu, and then Experimental and then clicking on Bookmarks. Here is a file I created that you can place in the Documents folder on your Kindle and try it yourself. I still don't know how to create links to books and documents on my Kindle itself.
This should help: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...hyperlinks.htm

Quote:
Linking to another ebook

You use the oeb:redirect special URL to link to a different ebook. The syntax is:
<a href="oeb:redirect?title=DatabaseName">External Link</a>

Where DatabaseName is the database name of the target ebook file to open. Using oeb:redirect, you do not have to know the exact location of the taget ebook on the device provided it is accessible from the library of the Mobipocket Reader.
You can specify the database name of an ebook using the <DatabaseName> entry in <x-metadata> part of the OPF publication file or use the one automatically computed by PRCGen from the book title. PRCGen displays the database name when compiling an ebook file using the following message: Info(prcgen): The document identifier is: "...."

WARNING: the database name is not the title of the document!
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
bchowdhr

Since I am a novice and have never edited or created a .prc file myself, I am not sure I understand what these commands and syntax etc mean. It is easy for me to create a Word file and add a hyperlink. Hadrien, do you know what I would type, instead of the usual http:\\ etc in Word to access a book on the Kindle. As Nate had indicated some time ago, this will help us create a nice index of all the books on the Kindle instead of the flat format in the Kindle.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowdhr View Post
Since I am a novice and have never edited or created a .prc file myself, I am not sure I understand what these commands and syntax etc mean. It is easy for me to create a Word file and add a hyperlink. Hadrien, do you know what I would type, instead of the usual http:\\ etc in Word to access a book on the Kindle. As Nate had indicated some time ago, this will help us create a nice index of all the books on the Kindle instead of the flat format in the Kindle.
Instead of http:// you need to type: oeb:redirect?title=DatabaseName and you replace DatabaseName by the name of the book in the database.
I don't know if there's an easy way for you to find the DatabaseName.

Well... I can already imagine a few things for Feedbooks once again. Can you sort the books by author name ? I could generate a file on Feedbooks with all the previously download files for a member, sorted by date, author, genre etc...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
bchowdhr

Yes, Kindle can sort the books by author name.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Instead of http:// you need to type: oeb:redirect?title=DatabaseName and you replace DatabaseName by the name of the book in the database.
I don't know if there's an easy way for you to find the DatabaseName.

Well... I can already imagine a few things for Feedbooks once again. Can you sort the books by author name ? I could generate a file on Feedbooks with all the previously download files for a member, sorted by date, author, genre etc...
the database name is in the first 31 characters of the file. You can use a text editor to see the name as it is in clear text. It ends with a binary 0.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
I would like it if they added "bookmarks" to the home page menu, right up there with "shop".

I hope they keep basic web functions, and keep them free for users. It's been a pleasant and unexpected benefit for me -- I didn't realize I could do so much on the web from the Kindle until I started playing around on it. The only thing I haven't been able to do is get to my AOL mail (yes, I'm one of those people...).

I have noticed that when I spend a lot of time on the web, my battery life is shortened considerably. Makes sense, I guess, since it's using the EVDO network the whole time.

Last edited by janiebegood; 12-31-2007 at 08:57 AM.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote