Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The "All my phone does is make calls and text" Support Group

Here's your chance, fellow luddites, to step out of the shadows.

Stop being ashamed because your cell phone doesn't play videos, surf the web, check your email, read books or kiss your hiney!

Come join the "uncool" crowd.

Our phones do what they were intended to .......make and receive calls.

Okay, maybe they text too, but we can't be too choosy.....

Post here to join.

Nominations are being taken for President, VP, Treasurer, Sgt at Arms, and refreshment chairman.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hello, my name is poohbear, and my cell phone makes phone calls. That's all. Phone calls. Punched in by hand. It weighs more than my kindle. The display is large enough to read. I'm quietly proud to be a phone luddite of the first order! If it ever breaks I'll have a nervous breakdown.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Hello, my name is poohbear, and my cell phone makes phone calls. That's all. Phone calls. Punched in by hand. It weighs more than my kindle. The display is large enough to read. I'm quietly proud to be a phone luddite of the first order! If it ever breaks I'll have a nervous breakdown.
Hello poohbear!! Welcome to "all my cell phone does is make calls and maybe text" support group.

Gotta figure out a shorter name there.

Anyway, If it ever breaks, you'll need one of those phones they are advertising for seniors......the kind with the huge buttons, and volume congtrol, because we can see, or hear, apparently, once we reach "that age".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	senior-phone.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	60690  
Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hello, my name is Graham and my phone just makes phone calls, but sometimes I have to type the words in.

My phone is by a company called Sony. I believe they also make tape cassette machines that you can wear around your neck.

However, my phone is starting to look a bit battered as I have had it for four years now. I believe that some new phones are like living robots, some have knowledge of themselves, some are like fruit, and the rest are made by Nokia. Please help me choose a new phone that makes calls. It would be nice if I didn't have to type so much though as my thumb gets tired.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Welcome to the "all my cell phone does is make calls and maybe text" support group, Graham.

I think you are confusing your "phone" with a "typewriter".

If you are typing with your thumb, its no wonder you are getting tired.

Learn to type with all 8 fingers....
Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I have never sent a text message, and I had the texts blocked because it was costing me money to receive them.

Everyone I have seen personally use his smart phones uses them for trivial reasons. I'm not saying that they cannot be worthwhile to some people, but my observation has been that they are used as toys.

My cell phone service costs about a dollar a day. If I had a job which required me to spend $100 per month on a smartphone, I wouldn't object. But without the specific need, count me out.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Welcome to the "all my cell phone does is make calls and maybe text" support group, GARussel.

I got you beat there. I "piggyback" on my daughters service...costs me $10 month.

My 22 yr old granddaughter, on the other hand, pays over $100 month to get all the bells and whistles, because she "really needs it".

I don't get it. but thats just me.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And here you are on the internet whining about technology.....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And here you are on the internet whining about technology.....

Au contraire, mon ami.

We're commenting about what we perceive as the superior attitude of many who feel the need, nay, necessity, to have every form of communication at their fingertips.

Watch TV. Watch Video. Check your email. Browse the 'net. Read your books. Banking. Find the nearest "cool" restaurant, club, etc.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Au contraire, mon ami.

We're commenting about what we perceive as the superior attitude of many who feel the need, nay, necessity, to have every form of communication at their fingertips.

Watch TV. Watch Video. Check your email. Browse the 'net. Read your books. Banking. Find the nearest "cool" restaurant, club, etc.
What? You can't do that?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Watch out for Kenny! He's been assimilated by his Droid!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hello, my name is dreams. Is there a door down the hall for a, "mostly use my cell phone to make calls and maybe text" support group?

I was really good and turned off the internet browsing. I try to not take pics and beam them and videos over to my phone for viewing (still working on that part ) and I've tried to not "discover" what else it does... I promise
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hello, my name is Sweetpea. My phone is made for making phone calls! But it can do more! It can hold its battery for longer than a day! But there is still more! I can even drop it on the floor without it being broken! It will even be able to witstand water! (that last one was very important, considering my last 3 phones died by drowning...)

And I can text with it, which is very handy if I'm on my way to my mother (1500km drive) so I can tell her where I am.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I was really good and turned off the internet browsing. I try to not take pics and beam them and videos over to my phone for viewing (still working on that part ) and I've tried to not "discover" what else it does... I promise

My internet was down the other day. The phone managed to save me with it's Edge/3G .
Lets see I use my phone for:
* Checking RSS-feeds
* Texting
* Twitter
* Podcast
* GPS
* Browsing
* Checking mail
* Playing Chess
* Listening to music
It's a small command-centre

The only thing I miss on my old "Can only make calls/text"-phone was the outstanding battery life.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
And what's wrong with two tin cans and a stretched string?
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote