Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Library Books... admit it, do you do this?

I just got the email notification that FOUR of my library books on hold are ready for me. I have two days to pick them up. I have 10 books (the max) checked out already. So, I return 4 of them (through ade), download the 4 new ones and I'm good to go. I just have to remember NOT to hook up my reader to my computer until I've finished the 4 I already returned. It's the spinnerooo game. Who else plays that?

I discovered, with joy, that even if a book is "expired" (I've had it more than the three weeks), I can still finish it as long as I turned off the reader while I was in it. As soon as I back out of it, I can't get into it anymore. I was happy to find that trick.

Who else uses the library most of all right now?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've not tried to do this purposefully, but did notice when twice when my reader rebooted, it set the date back to some time in 2007 and my book showed that I had something like 1000 days left before it expires. I don't know for sure, but I'd think this would work if you just set your date back a month or so.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I use my two local libraries quite often, and is often the case the books I want I have to put on hold.

I don't download any more than I can read in the 3 week cut off period, although your trick for extending this period sounds tempting.

I also return books early to the library, which frees them up for other borrowers.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post

I don't download any more than I can read in the 3 week cut off period, although your trick for extending this period sounds tempting.

WDE.
I have also been known to put a book I already have checked out on hold again, so when I return it, it's waiting for me again (if I know I can't finish it in time). Generally, I don't have too much of a problem finishing the books. And I'll return books if I know I won't get to them, and just keep them on the wishlist so I remember to check them out again. I'm not *trying* to hog books!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I have also been known to put a book I already have checked out on hold again, so when I return it, it's waiting for me again (if I know I can't finish it in time). Generally, I don't have too much of a problem finishing the books. And I'll return books if I know I won't get to them, and just keep them on the wishlist so I remember to check them out again. I'm not *trying* to hog books!
I do this with library pbooks if I haven't finished them. And we have self-service check-in of books here, so if a book is not on hold for someone else, I'm the very first in line to check it out again if I want it. I don't feel particularly guilty about this

Edit: forgot my point: since there's a artificial scarcity put on library ebooks, I think it's fine to treat them exactly as library pbooks.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I do this with library pbooks if I haven't finished them. And we have self-service check-in of books here, so if a book is not on hold for someone else, I'm the very first in line to check it out again if I want it. I don't feel particularly guilty about this

Edit: forgot my point: since there's a artificial scarcity put on library ebooks, I think it's fine to treat them exactly as library pbooks.
Well the library has the prerogative to hold it if somebody has reserved for it. But if none has reserved for it and you automatically reserve it, then you are as good as continually reading the book again.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Frankly Grace, I am shocked. Yes, shocked that anyone would stoop to such a trick to keep a library book on their reader beyond the time limit.

Okay, the fact that I never thought to do this has nothing to do with my moral outrage. Okay, okay, the fact that I damn well plan to try this with my next library ebook is just a coincidence and beside the point. Well, okay maybe it is the point but...

Shoot, I guess what upsets me is I didn't think of this first.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by MickeyC; 03-26-2009 at 04:01 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
What library do you guys use that works well with the PRS505? Do you have to be a member of the physical library or can you sign up online?

Ta.
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
What library do you guys use that works well with the PRS505? Do you have to be a member of the physical library or can you sign up online?

Ta.
Have you seen this link?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

I joined the NYPL. I'm a resident so it was free but you can join
as a non-resident for a fee. You can sign up online. I got my card
a few weeks later in the mail.

Any library that offers Adobe Digital Edition will work on the 505.
Most libraries seem to offer two main formats: ADE and Mobi.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I use the Fairfax, VA Library of which I am a card-carrying member. Some require this and some will let you join for a small charge and download books from anywhere. Check out the MobileRead Wiki on the subject here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Aha.. Thanks, no I'd not seen the link, still plodding my way around the site.. Google wasn't much help at all..
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

As a Librarian (besides several other things), I do not see anything wrong with some “supposed” trics.

The responsibility of monitoring circulation belongs to the Library.
It’s the Library who sets the circulation rules and sets who can take, how much and what sort of documents and for what period of time.
If the ILS system - or it’s equivalent in Overdrive’s (most Digital Public Libraries have Overdrive’s solution) world - has no rule who does not let, per example, one reader put the same document on old when he/she still has it, so he/she is the same who is first in the line to have it back when time expires, then there is no problem with doing it.

Using the library - any of its services, being lending books one of them - is one of the best benefits of today’s society and one that I really advise everyone who can to use at it’s full.

Reading library books (for free) it’s great!!!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Wow GraceKrispy. I need to bookmark this thread or something. This will come in very handy for me. I am currently unemployed and will probably be sticking with library books alot in the beginning. I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing. This is some devious trick I would think up. I already tried to load library books onto a memory card, thinking there would be no way to tell when they expired, but it didn't quite work out. DARN!

Kelly
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Kelly, you can get an amazing number of library cards for free or a small fee, depending on where you live. Check the Wiki. For example, any resident of California can get both a Los Angeles and Sacramento library card -- that's a lot of reading from just two libraries.

The Sony ebook store also has a lot of free books each month. Right now there are 7 free books and 2 free sample chapters.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
What drives me crazy is the libraries that offer non-resident cards and some even have online sign up BUT you have to physically go into library to either activate card or get permanent card. I wouldn't mind paying the non-res fee for a few libraries just to check out ebooks...

So far NYPL is only one that allows online sign up and you don't have to go in.
If anyone finds any others that you don't have to go in, let us know!!

btw: DC library offers online sign up for temp card (30 or 45 days?).
You can check out books immediately. You do have to go in, though,
to continue after temp card expires.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote